Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
10/1-10/8 PCT Sections Q&R
Display Avatars Sort By:
Humboldt .
(Humboldt)
10/1-10/8 PCT Sections Q&R on 07/10/2012 12:41:28 MDT Print View

I'll be spending a week of my R&R leave from Afganistan section hiking from Etna Summit through to Ashland, Or.(about 130 miles). I retire next year from the Marines on May 1st and am using this as a shake down run for the gear I plan to take on a NOBO PCT thruhike. Still plenty of time for adjustments. I'd love any feedback you all have.

Gear list

Hope that worked.

Edited by Humboldt on 07/10/2012 12:44:23 MDT.

K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
RE: humboldt on 07/10/2012 21:35:12 MDT Print View

The three that stand out is your shelter, bag and rain jacket. If money is no object, I would go with a hexamid and hexanet, a 30F quilt or bag and a golite malipas or super mica marmot. Those changes could get you down 2+ more pounds.

Andy F
(AndyF) - M

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic
goretex shoes on 07/11/2012 09:17:01 MDT Print View

Will you be able to keep your goretex shoes dry the entire time? Once they're wet inside, they'll stay wet.

Luis Velasco
(RNfrog) - MLife

Locale: Costal, dry warm climate.
Fellow Marine on 07/27/2012 00:23:34 MDT Print View

PCT? Sounds like a good adventure. I am also a retire Marine living down here about 1.5 hrs from the start of the PCT.

If your interested I'd be happy to assist you in your PCT venture at this end of the trail. Drop me a line if your interested.

- Luis V.
MGySgt Ret.

tyler marlow
(like.sisyphus)

Locale: UTAH
Looks great on 07/30/2012 22:05:46 MDT Print View

Great list, really light and really comfortable!

I'll also be starting the PCT NOBO around the beginning of May, maybe we'll run into each other!

Would you be able to post a link to that gear list? Its a bit small to read clearly.

I would second the recommendation for the Hexamid, although I'd recommend the Hex solo TENT, coming out to 15.5 oz total (even less with polycryo - ~1oz, and without the extended beak - 1.4 = 13oz!)

The Contrail is a sweet tent but the Hexamid takes the cake.

Humboldt .
(Humboldt)
Thanks for the comments on 08/17/2012 21:28:56 MDT Print View

Thanks for the comments. I made some changes and uploaded a pdf to my profile.