Tarptent wish list
Display Avatars Sort By:
William Wang
(billwang) - M

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: Re: Re: Re: RE: David on 07/08/2012 16:49:08 MDT Print View

Why not mention cuben? Just because other cottage manufacturers provide this? I happen to think Henry's designs are among the most innovative, so combining some of those designs with lighter fabric would appeal to quite a few on this website, in my opinion. I think a cuben strat 2 could lose more like 6 oz. We all know fitness matters but so does lightening by 6 oz! I dont see how trying to carve weight "misses the other parts of the equation."

Edited by billwang on 07/08/2012 16:49:48 MDT.

Michael Duke
(mpd1690) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: RE: David on 07/08/2012 17:05:25 MDT Print View

To be fair, focusing only on "maximizing fitness" and "technique" misses the other part of the equation as well. Try to maximize all of them.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: RE: David on 07/08/2012 18:07:35 MDT Print View

"Why not mention cuben? Just because other cottage manufacturers provide this?"

Because Henry Shires has said time and time again that he will not be providing cuben version of his shelters.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Tarptent wish list on 07/08/2012 20:37:17 MDT Print View

From Ken :
Good. Then Australians won't smoke near my tent.

Olive green is starting to sound better to me too...

Franco

Ryan McCabe
(3Tree) - MLife
Re: Tarptent wish list on 07/08/2012 23:49:06 MDT Print View

Modifying the guy line loops on tents with poles (Rainbow, Moment, etc.) so that instead of having a ribbon to tie onto, there is a gap between the pole sleeve and fly. That way we can wrap the guy line around the pole itself, like on Hilleberg tents.

And taped seams... :)

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Tarptent wish list on 07/09/2012 01:43:18 MDT Print View

I would want only one thing from TarpTent: A cuben fiber version of the Rainbow solo

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Tarptent wish list on 07/09/2012 09:52:16 MDT Print View

Removable floors or option to buy at lower price without a floor.

zorobabel frankenstein
(zorobabel) - F

Locale: SoCal
wishlist on 07/09/2012 14:53:25 MDT Print View

A big TT 50% off sale for me :)).
And a squall that doesn't need hiking poles.

Edited by zorobabel on 07/09/2012 14:55:01 MDT.

Ben H.
(bzhayes) - F

Locale: So. California
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: RE: David on 07/09/2012 18:19:53 MDT Print View

"Because Henry Shires has said time and time again that he will not be providing cuben version of his shelters."

I think you missed the "wish list" part of this thread....

Cuben would be nice, if for nothing else it would give everyone (whether you have the cash or not) a good idea of how it would stack up in a TT design. I understand early on Henry staying away from cuben, but his business seems developed enough to offer it now.

Not sure how compatible the two components are, but I once dreamed of a cuben on the spine, with sylnylon panels so that it wouldn't stretch as much but with a syl nylon cost.

The other thought I had was some vents on the roofline. I still see complaints of condensation in TT designs. My cheap Kelty tent has a vent in the roof that you can velcro open or closed... very nice.

James Cuppy
(Kentuckian) - F
Porch and door flap on Rainbow on 07/09/2012 19:02:01 MDT Print View

Love the Rainbow's porch mode. Would like the porch fabric wedge to extend out further. Its a little on the short side now. And to be more securely fastened to the ajoining vesibule flap. The present velcro is not real sucure in a breeze and provides a place for water to drip where it joins.

Agree with another poster that the tie straps that hold the net door flap in rolled up position come loose on me. A more secure tie back method would be an improvement.

Justice Baker
(jkokbaker)

Locale: Central Oregon
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: RE: David on 07/09/2012 22:49:02 MDT Print View

Cuben is the only thing missing from Tarptents. If somebody wants to spend extra money on Cuben then let them, just offer it as a custom option, 4-6 week wait time, or whatever extra time it would take to make it.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: RE: David on 07/10/2012 11:18:31 MDT Print View

Then lets petition Henry.

Which model in cuben? We have heard about perhaps a Rainbow in Cuben. What about the Notch? Contrail?

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: RE: David on 07/10/2012 15:10:49 MDT Print View

Nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 07/10/2012 15:16:35 MDT.