Forum Index » GEAR » Sawyer Squeeze Filter Bag Failure

Display Avatars Sort By:
Rafi Harzahav
(rhz10) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Sawyer Squeeze Filter Bag Failure on 07/05/2012 12:30:21 MDT Print View

Hi,

I bought this filter for a backpacking trip last summer and used it again for the first time this year. After only two trips, the bags sprung leaks near the the top. Apparently, this problem has been encountered by many people.

For those who have experienced this problem, what did you do? buy new bags, call Sawyer and complain (some did this and seemed to get nowhere), toss the filter and switch to Aquamira drops?

Thanks,

rhz

rich y
(gkine) - F

Locale: NorCal
Re: Sawyer Squeeze Filter Bag Failure on 07/05/2012 12:48:48 MDT Print View

there's no warranty on the bags themselves and they started putting cards in the packages saying this. they're cheap, i would just deal with the loss and get a platypus bag or something similar to substitute.

James Landro
(justaddfuel) - F - M

Locale: MN
Re: Sawyer Squeeze Filter Bag Failure on 07/05/2012 12:50:25 MDT Print View

I have heard that these http://www.evernewamerica.com/EBY205208.htm work perfectly and are much more durable.

Chad Poindexter
(Stick) - F

Locale: Wet & Humid Southeast....
Re: Sawyer Squeeze Filter Bag Failure on 07/05/2012 12:51:53 MDT Print View

You can pick up 3 of the 2L bags from REI for $10. This way the threads will match.

John Harper
(johnnyh88) - M

Locale: PNW
Re: Sawyer Squeeze Filter Bag Failure on 07/05/2012 13:08:31 MDT Print View

James is right, the Evernew bladders match the thread on the Sawyer Squeeze filter perfectly. This is what I use and they are much tougher. You could also just buy more Sawyer bags. As discussed elsewhere before, the Platypus bladder threads do not reliably match the Sawyer Squeeze filter.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
How did it fail? on 07/05/2012 13:12:55 MDT Print View

Did you push on it really hard to get water to flow through filter?

Maybe better to apply only gentle pressure?

I've used mine on one trip without problem but was fairly gentle because I have heard of failures

I tried Platypus on previous trip, but the threads aren't quite the same. It sort of works, but water leaks a little and tends to run down into the treated water container.

Rafi Harzahav
(rhz10) - F

evernew bags on 07/05/2012 14:26:06 MDT Print View

Hi,

Thanks for the evernew bag suggestions. I'll try that. I've generally been gentle with the sawyer bags, but I felt on this past trip that the filter flow was low--probably should have back-flushed it at home beforehand. The first bag leaked instantly with minimal pressure and the second eventually leaked probably after a bit more pressure, but nothing too extreme.

Thanks again,

rhz

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Sawyer Squeeze Filter Bag Failure on 07/05/2012 14:43:45 MDT Print View

"...the bags sprung leaks near the the top..."

Around the cap block, at the seams, in the middle?

Thanks

Rafi Harzahav
(rhz10) - F

They sprung leaks at the seams, on 07/05/2012 15:02:08 MDT Print View

where the plastic bag meets the white screw-top plastic piece.

Nathan Hays
(oroambulant) - M

Locale: San Francisco
Bladder replaces squeeze bag on 07/05/2012 15:10:06 MDT Print View

Not sure how the Sawyer Squeeze fittings are done, but I bought a 3-way inline Sawyer, cut my hydration bladder hose, and inserted the filter. The bladder works as both a squeeze for cooking water and as a normal hydration pack. As always, treat everything with care and it should last. That may not be true with the materials in the squeeze bags, but flexible bladders don't get the same kind of pin-point stresses as mylar or equivalent bags.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=65867

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Leaky Sawyer bladders on 07/05/2012 20:49:59 MDT Print View

"where the plastic bag meets the white screw-top plastic piece."

Same place mine leaked last year. Sawyer was not real friendly about it, nor did they want to take any responsibility for their fragile bags.

Get the Evernew, or carry a bunch of Sawyer bladders.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Leaky Sawyer bladders on 07/05/2012 21:08:59 MDT Print View

Not good news, but good to know.

Thanks.

John Peterson
(skik2000) - F

Locale: Austin, TX
Re: Leaky Sawyer bladders on 07/06/2012 11:07:00 MDT Print View

Is there a site that has the Evernew bags in stock? Mine have been on backorder for at least a month now.

James Landro
(justaddfuel) - F - M

Locale: MN
Re: Re: Leaky Sawyer bladders on 07/12/2012 08:21:26 MDT Print View

Ebay has some 600ml ones.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Leaky Sawyer bladders on 07/12/2012 08:56:18 MDT Print View

"where the plastic bag meets the white screw-top plastic piece."

This reminds me of Big Agnes Clearview pad failures at the valve block before they rounded the edges. On the first edition pads the corners were going through the PU when your rolled them up and stuffed them.

I can envision a similar scenario with the Squeeze. I think the approach is to roll and squeeze, or do a two-handed squeeze, and always avoid squeezing the bag around the valve block. Don't mash the bag to get out the last few drops.

Rakesh Malik
(Tamerlin)

Locale: Cascadia
Re: Re: Leaky Sawyer bladders on 07/12/2012 09:41:57 MDT Print View

I've had two of my Sawyer bags start leaking in the same areas, and I've been babying the second one. The first didn't last very long, it started leaking on the second trip out. The second that started leaking lasted quite a bit longer, but not in absolute terms all that much use (unfortunately).

I thought that one reason that the first one failed was that once you attach the filter to the bag, it acts like a very convenient handle. When the bag's empty that's fine, but when it's full, there's enough weight in it to stress those joints. Whether or not that theory is valid I don't know, but even being careful to only hold the bag by its corners when full, it still started leaking around that joint.

I'm going to look for some of the Evernew bags when I get back from this weekend's trip.

Eddy Walker
(Ewker) - M

Locale: southeast
Re: Re: Leaky Sawyer bladders on 07/12/2012 10:19:09 MDT Print View

John,

here is a link to all of the places that sell the Evernew products

http://www.evernewamerica.com/shoplist.htm

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: Sawyer Squeeze Filter Bag Failure on 07/12/2012 22:53:51 MDT Print View

Another data point. My Squeeze bag leaked after ~15 liters.

Gerry Brucia
(taedawood) - MLife

Locale: Louisiana, USA
Evernew Bladders for Sawyer Squeeze Filter Back in Stock on 08/07/2012 19:47:31 MDT Print View

I spoke with the Evernew rep by phone a few weeks ago asking when they would have them available again in the states and he told me that Gossamer Gear would have them shortly. I noticed today that they are back in stock on Gossamer Gear's website. I bought a couple to go with my Sawyer Squeeze Filter to replace the stock Sawyer bladders that have gotten such a bad rap.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Sawyer Squeeze Filter Bag Failure on 08/07/2012 20:08:57 MDT Print View

I switched from Platypus bottles to Evernew a couple of years ago because I was forever losing the Platy lids. Evernew has a plastic "thong" attaching the caps to the bottle, so I no longer have to carry extra caps. I'm really glad I made the change, because the newer Platypus bottles, whose threads were formerly compatible with soda bottle lids (which I could use as extra caps) and other fairly standard items, are now no longer compatible--including with the Sawyer filter. If Cascade Designs thought this a good marketing ploy, I beg to differ--they have lost me as a water bottle customer and I will no longer recommend Platypus, which used to be one of my staples. I also bought two 0.9L Evernew bottles to replace the bladders (essentially the mylar kind used in wine boxes) in my dog's Ruffwear pack. The Evernew bottles are much easier to fill and clean and the pair are 6 oz. lighter than the wine box bladders. There's no way my aging dog could carry a gallon of water anyway!

What I plan to do with my Sawyer Squeeze filter is to use one of my 2L Evernew bottles as the "dirty" bottle (marking a large "X" on both sides with a Sharpie) but take along the 2L Sawyer bottle as an extra water container, since it's lighter. It would appear (from home testing with the 1 L bottle) that the Sawyer bottle will work just fine for occasional use if I'm not squeezing it. Actually, it held up just fine for squeezing in my at home tests, but it does seem quite fragile for such continued stress.

Back in May I was able to get 2L Evernew bladders from Trail Designs. I got the 0.9 L size from a place up in Washington called the Great Outdoors Depot. The latter were out of the 2L size. It seems that Evernew's production was severely curtailed by the 2011 earthquake/tsunami.

Now that Evernew pots and pans are once again arriving from Japan, I assume the water bladders are available as well.

Edited by hikinggranny on 08/07/2012 20:17:23 MDT.