Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » Cleaning Up after a Backpacking Meal... using Honey?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Maia
(maia) - MLife

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Cleaning Up after a Backpacking Meal... using Honey? on 07/03/2012 20:12:51 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Cleaning Up after a Backpacking Meal... using Honey?

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
using Honey? on 07/03/2012 20:28:15 MDT Print View

Unfortunately the honey will make the pots quite attractive to bears (as all "Winnie the Pooh" fans know). IMHO the pots definitely should be stored in the bear bag/canister if you're doing this.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Cleaning Up after a Backpacking Meal... using Honey? on 07/03/2012 20:34:38 MDT Print View

For even more on this subject

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=23090

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=60806

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=65526

I don't worry about boiling or filtering my wash water either. It's clean on the next boil. I like coffee.

Edited by kthompson on 07/06/2012 22:43:42 MDT.

Brett Rasmussen
(ascientist) - MLife

Locale: Grants Pass, Oregon
Re: Cleaning Up after a Backpacking Meal... using Honey? on 07/03/2012 23:52:59 MDT Print View

Very cool. I always have hated trying to wash dishes with very cold water. Even with soap it can be inefficiency. At least it would be interesting to see how the tea tastes with the residue of various dinner meals. You never know what new recipe you might come up with...camomile beef stew anyone?

Kristin Tennessen
(ktenness) - MLife

Locale: Sierra Nevadas
cleaning on 07/08/2012 18:22:35 MDT Print View

My backpacking partner drinks the gray water every time. I'm so lucky.

E. H. Clemmons
(sclemmons) - MLife
Does honey function as soap? on 07/18/2012 16:03:37 MDT Print View

Does the honey lower the surface tension of water, the way soap does? Or is it just antibacterial?

sc

Gordon Smith
(swearingen) - MLife

Locale: Portland, Oregon
Cleaning up on 08/09/2012 14:39:02 MDT Print View

I'm sorry. You lost me at two pots.

Jeremy Sustare
(Orangeman) - F
Re: Cleaning up on 08/22/2012 14:40:13 MDT Print View

"I'm sorry. You lost me at two pots."

Yep...I got that a LOT on the AT! But for me it was worth the weight. In regard to the bear bag/canister issue: Yes, I always treat the pots/utensil/stove as "foodstuffs", and store them accordingly (bearbag where I am). Glad you enjoyed my article & thank you for the input!

Edited by Orangeman on 08/22/2012 14:41:10 MDT.

tony landrum
(landruma@aol.com) - MLife

Locale: Texas
Cleaning Up after a Backpacking Meal... using Honey on 01/29/2014 14:53:20 MST Print View

That's why I love this site, so many cool and simple solutions.
Thanks for sharing.
T

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: Cleaning Up after a Backpacking Meal... using Honey on 01/29/2014 15:14:20 MST Print View

If the pot needs scrubbing, I soak it for a while, then use a small piece of the plastic netting from a grocery store melon bag to scrub - retains no food particles, weighs next to nothing, and it works quite well. I guess if the author is drinking tea with honey, it might make the rinse more appealing to drink, but I wouldn't go out of my way to add honey coating to my pots.

I usually drink the rinse water from my bowl or cup, but the cook pot rinse usually gets tossed out in as wide a pattern as I can manage.

Edited by dkramalc on 01/29/2014 15:14:51 MST.

R K
(oiboyroi) - M

Locale: South West US
Re: Re: Cleaning Up after a Backpacking Meal... using Honey on 01/29/2014 19:05:56 MST Print View

Finger tips and clean water. Gently rub food stuffs off. Sanitize with next water boil. Done. Easy.