The eVENT Single Wall Tent: Here, Then Gone – What’s Replacing It?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Woubeir (from Europe)
(Woubeir) - F - MLife
eVENT vs. Gore in shelters on 03/02/2007 04:26:52 MST Print View

Brett,
my guess is that while eVENT currently is definitely better than the different Gore-tex variations being used in clothing, this is not necesarily the case with the air permeable gore-tex used in bivy's and tents. I wouldn't rule these tents out just because they're gore-tex based.

Woubeir (from Europe)
(Woubeir) - F - MLife
Re: MontBell's Breeze Dry Tec Laminate on 03/02/2007 09:13:44 MST Print View

PJ,
this is not about you or me having done something wrong so you really don't have to apologize.
After reading your last post, I googled a bit to find out and I found out that "Breeze Dry-tec" and "coating" are two terms which never seem to being used together in one sentence. So I guess you are correct.
Reason for my assumption that Breeze Dry-tec was a coating, was my interpretation of the term laminate. If not mistaken a laminate consist of two or more layers bonded together. For me this doesn't exclude coatings since I thought 3-layer constructions with a coating in the middle were also laminates (and Breeze-Drytec in the Peak jacket is a 3 layer construction).
Now I see that the term laminate is often used as a synonim for films or mebranes while these are technically not the same. When a membrane is glued to a layer of textile, then you get a laminate. A membrane in itself is not a laminate. So that's why, with English not being my mother tongue, I never made the connection between laminate and membrane.

But in the end the conclusion seems to be that Breeze Dry-tec is a membrane available in 2- and 3-layer constructions (made by who ?). Makes me wonder, is the 3-layer Patagonia H2No also a film (the 2,5 is definetely a coating since it's based on Entrant DT)?

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Coatings, Laminates, PU, Air Permeable... on 03/02/2007 10:35:39 MST Print View

PJ, Tom, et. al.

For a good write up of the above, please click HERE.

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest
Re: Re: MontBell's Breeze Dry Tec Laminate on 03/02/2007 11:45:46 MST Print View

Tom, i NEVER would have guessed that English wasn't your native tongue. YOU WRITE so well. Me,...all my languages are so bad that i say that i don't have a FIRST language!!!

I think you have brought out a good distinction b/t laminates & coatings. I think of coatings as being deposited in some fashion (e.g., spraying, etc.) a little bit at a time, whereas a laminate is a single intact layer/entity that is bonded to another layer.

The bottom line is that i know very little about fabrics and i am sure that you know a whole lot more than i about this area.

It's quite clear to me that it was just a minor misunderstanding regarding terminology and that you have a very precise understanding of the nature of these fabric technologies.

Hmm...English isn't your first language...WOW!! You sure had me fooled. Your English seems better than mine. I greatly admire fluent multi-lingual individuals.

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Re: Re: Coatings, Laminates, PU, Air Permeable... on 03/02/2007 11:47:07 MST Print View

Ben, thanks. I remember reading that Thread with your Post in it. Good explanation. Thanks for reminding me.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Coatings, Laminates, PU, Air Permeable... on 03/02/2007 11:57:40 MST Print View

PJ:

You're welcome. Hey, your Chinese ain't bad either. You are a good multi-linguist yourself. :)

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Re: Re: Coatings, Laminates, PU, Air Permeable... on 03/02/2007 12:36:48 MST Print View

Ben, you're too kind. I do remember that you've had to correct my Chinese - for which I sincerely thank you.

Tim Heckel
(ThinAir) - M

Locale: 6237' - Manitou Springs
Re: The eVENT Single Wall Tent: Here, Then Gone – What’s Replacing It? on 03/02/2007 14:58:30 MST Print View

Ok, I read the article and discussion to this point with some interest.

I had a first-generation gore-tex tent that was my only tent for 20 some years. It was light, for the time, expensive, durable, and performed well for me from Hawaii to New England to the American Southwest to the Rocky Mountains. I have never been able to find a replacement that works as well for me.

The BD and Montbell tents I've read about and/or looked at are too short.

I haven't been able to find, in the US market, a light tent of breathable fabric. I see in the article the reasoning for eVent dropping out; but surely there is a market here.

The article title to paraphrase is “what's next in single wall breathable fabric tents”, but comes up short in actually stating what is next. It focuses a lot on the technical details of the fabrics and less, in my interpretation, on the practical matter of available tents.

Does anyone expect to see more single wall breathable tents for the American market anytime soon? I would “kill for”, an American expression meaning “pay a lot”, an identical or similar tent made of modern materials to replace my worn out old tent. Where is it?

Woubeir (from Europe)
(Woubeir) - F - MLife
Re: Re: Coatings, Laminates, PU, Air Permeable... on 03/02/2007 16:24:29 MST Print View

Thanks Ben for the link.

PJ, you're just to kind. My English is OK (it helps that have to use it a lot in my professional live).

Bob Chilson
(bob.chilson) - MLife

Locale: eastern high sierra
Event-like car covers on 03/06/2007 10:26:07 MST Print View

In 1975 I bought a somewhat expensive, breathable car cover that I now recall looks very similar to the Bibler tent material. The same cover is still available as an Evolution Car Cover. I'm just wondering if this was perhaps the start of the breathable tent material, and perhaps some smart individual picked up on the use of this fabric?

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Event-like car covers on 03/06/2007 11:14:26 MST Print View

http://tinyurl.com/2h8b3f

A gore-tex timeline.

eric levine
(ericl) - F

Locale: Northern Colorado
Event on 03/17/2007 14:13:37 MDT Print View

Great info and discussions, but unlike other subjects, this one just has me depressed.

I've been looking forward to ultra-lite, cheap, very breathable and very waterproof fabrics for so long, and now we seem to have taken a real step backwards.....

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
The eVENT Single Wall Tent: Here, Then Gone – What’s Replacing It? on 10/01/2008 19:29:09 MDT Print View

Nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 11/23/2013 09:50:25 MST.

Willem Jongman
(willem) - F - M
updates on eVENT tents? on 07/13/2010 09:56:26 MDT Print View

Is there any recent news on eVENT or similar fabric for tents?
Willem

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
The eVENT Single Wall Tent: Here, Then Gone – What’s Replacing It? on 07/13/2010 10:26:53 MDT Print View

Nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 11/23/2013 09:51:04 MST.