Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
UL Toothpaste pack
Display Avatars Sort By:
Gregory Stein
(tauneutrino) - F

Locale: Upper Galilee
UL Toothpaste pack on 07/03/2012 14:14:26 MDT Print View

Hi,

First of all, yes I know some use tooth powder or baking soda, but I like toothpaste more. The weight is not an issue if you pack just for the days you're hiking. Not sure about environmental impact. Any advise is welcome.

Maybe there are better options to pack a toothpaste, but I use my own. It will be nice if you could suggest me another idea to do it. For now this method works very well, so I decided to share it.

So first of all, I use a cling film. Unroll a piece of 2" wide:

cut it:

then just place portions of toothpaste on it (mind the gap between them). Each portion is for single use.

Then I roll the film the film as you know sticks very well to itself, so it creates fully enclosed tube with portions.
And after that I twist the film so that it will create a "sausage chain".

Trim extra film on both ends:

Now it is really easy to squeeze the toothpaste from the package. In order to keep the chain out of any pressure within your pack, a tiny container would be essential. So if you already bring little container for whatever, you can use it. I use a kinder surprise egg container. After you place your chain in it there still remains quite large space for storing additional things.

You can use it one-handed: just pull one portion of the chain out, close the container, cut the end of the chain and squeeze the toothpaste (press against the container).

After use, cut the used portion off the chain:

That's it.

Ken K
(TheFatBoy) - F

Locale: St. Louis
Have you considered just making tooth paste pellets? on 07/03/2012 14:59:13 MDT Print View

Have you considered just making toothpaste pellets? Basically, you squeeze single-serve drops onto cling wrap, wax paper, or a glass plate, let it sit in a dry place for a couple days and slowly dehydrate. you can then put a few days worth into a mini ziploc bag (like for pills) or even just wrap them in a cling wrap square. No worries about crushing them, so no need to take the extra weight of another container (or stuffing them in with something else in an already purposed container).

In my case, I'm way too lazy for that... For less than two nights, I brush without toothpaste. For more than two nights, I take toothpaste sample packets or the extra-mini toothpaste tube that you get in airline complimentary toiletry bags (good for three or four brushes).

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: I'm way too lazy for that... on 07/03/2012 15:29:02 MDT Print View

Toothpaste tablets

http://www.campingworld.com/search/index.cfm?Ntt=toothpaste+tablets&N=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=primary&Nty=1&Ntpc=1

Relatively cheap and super easy. Pack them in an extra small zip-lock bag and they will hardly show up on your scale. Add a Scope Outlast miniature toothbrush and you are set to be the lightest hiker with the freshest breath and the whitest teeth. LOL

Miniature toothbrush

I found a pair of these (2 brushes total) at my local dollar store for guess what a dollar!

For the severe gram weenies amongst us you can even trim off the pointy toothpick portion. Happy dental health y'all!

Party On,

Newton

Edited by Newton on 07/03/2012 15:36:28 MDT.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
travel on 07/03/2012 15:35:30 MDT Print View

i just buy a small travel size tooth paste tube for < $1

no fuss ...

Ken K
(TheFatBoy) - F

Locale: St. Louis
Thanks! on 07/03/2012 15:37:21 MDT Print View

Thanks for the pointer to the pre-made pellets! That's just the right level of lazy for me!

As for the disposable toothbrushes... I tried another brand (wisp), and wasn't impressed. I'll have to give these a shot.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Re: travel on 07/03/2012 15:40:50 MDT Print View

Eric,

But as I use up my toothpaste tablets I have much less volume to carry in my pack! ROTFLMAO

ROTFLMAO

Party On,

Newton

Edited by Newton on 07/03/2012 15:52:01 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: travel on 07/03/2012 16:23:52 MDT Print View

Plus 1 on that Eric.

I do decant sun block, talc, and bug cream in to small bottles where liberated from hotel bathrooms :-)

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Toothpaste and other goo on 07/03/2012 16:45:48 MDT Print View

I keep my eyes open for very small sample tubes. Not the "Travel size" or "Trial Size" ones sold in stores, but much smaller ones. Overseas Airlines give you very little toothpaste tubes as do Asian hotels. And they're free. Dermotologists have 0.25 oz (7.4 ml) tubes of sunscreen. And they're free. My little 1.5 gram tube of topical steroid (like hydrocortisone but prescription strength) was a professional sample from my wife. And it was free.

Then, after a trip or two, I refill them from bulk containers. Some, I just butt the two tubes together and sqeeze the big one. For others, I fill a hypo with a big-bore needle and inflate the small tube after inserting the needle. I do that enough for the mini sunscreen that I keep a "flavor injector" (designed to inject broth into a baking turkey, it was $4 at the grocery store) full of high quality sunscreen and refill it after a trip.

I don't actually need the whole 50-tablet bottle of iodine tablets on most trips. Plus, the screw cap is kind of a pain when juggling a water bottle so I'm switching to some little plastic vials I got on eBay. 3/8" by 2" so it tucks in anywhere. With a pretty secure press-fit cap. But it would also make a great container for those dried toothpaste pellets.little containers

Edited by DavidinKenai on 07/03/2012 17:27:10 MDT.

NW Hiker
(king2005ify)
z packs on 07/03/2012 23:09:36 MDT Print View

I just got this little set-up, and so far think it's pretty cool- .9 ounce total, and comes with refillable tube.

http://www.zpacks.com/large_image.shtml?accessories/toothbrush/toothbrush_l.jpg

Edited by king2005ify on 07/03/2012 23:11:25 MDT.

Gregory Stein
(tauneutrino) - F

Locale: Upper Galilee
Re: z packs on 07/04/2012 01:16:37 MDT Print View

What is the weight of this kit?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: z packs on 07/04/2012 01:37:38 MDT Print View

"What is the weight of this kit?"

27.5 grams, according to the web site.

--B.G.--

Ole Saether
(osaether) - MLife

Locale: Norway
Re: z packs on 07/04/2012 01:38:04 MDT Print View

27 grams (0.95 oz) on my scale. Paste and brush only: 16 grams (0.56 oz)

Jack G
(NomadJack) - F

Locale: Midwest
UL Toothpaste pack on 07/04/2012 15:39:28 MDT Print View

Been using Aquafresh Extreme Clean toothpaste which is a foaming TP so a little goes a long way. Walmart sometimes sells the travel size or you can refill an empty travel/sample size from a regular size tube by holding the two together.

adam blanton
(adamallstar) - MLife

Locale: Central Texas
eco dent on 07/04/2012 15:46:03 MDT Print View

Slightly more expensive than plain old baking soda, this has a good flavor to it and works just as well as tooth paste. A small sprinkle goes a long way, you can repackage in a smaller bottle.

http://www.eco-dent.com/item.php?item=164010

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: UL Toothpaste pack on 07/09/2012 09:06:49 MDT Print View

Thanks for sharing your idea Gregory.

Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Locale: USA
Colgate Wisp Disposable Toothbrush on 07/12/2012 03:16:20 MDT Print View

The four pack usually sales for about $2.00.

Cheap, UL, teeny-tiny and comes with a small dot of toothpaste. I can get at least 6-8 good brushes with the toothpaste dot and a few more brushes after that before the brush disintigrates.

colgate wisp

Edited by veganaloha on 07/12/2012 03:16:51 MDT.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
UL Toothpaste pack on 07/12/2012 04:20:14 MDT Print View

Actually, you don't need tooth paste. It is just a bit of soap and flavouring. I simply drop it. I do bring a toothbrush head from a Boob Tube (something like that, anyway.) Just a cut down brush. With a bit of water it works as well as any.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
UL Toothpaste Pack-ZPacks on 07/12/2012 09:27:39 MDT Print View

ZPacks sells a very tiny UL kit at 1oz. Get rid of the container and you have full length toothbrush plus toothpaste at 0.5oz.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Re: UL Toothpaste pack on 08/13/2012 12:34:22 MDT Print View

I'm adding this post to include the link to my review of the Scope Outlast Minibrush.

Party On,

Newton

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
No paste for me. on 08/13/2012 13:09:41 MDT Print View

I started out using the small travel tubes then graduated to a small vial of baking soda and finally to nothing at all. My entire hygiene kit consists of a small modified tooth brush and a flosser. Simple. Just the way I like it.