Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Ryan Jordan pops in

Display Avatars Sort By:
Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
deleted on 07/03/2012 06:39:57 MDT Print View

deleted

Edited by kthompson on 07/27/2012 20:42:36 MDT.

Paul Rudd
(Paulrudd) - F
so? on 07/03/2012 18:26:12 MDT Print View

and?

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
That's a lot on yer plate on 07/03/2012 22:31:50 MDT Print View

... but it sounds like you have many interesting irons in the fire.

I'd be interested in working with the "regional" BPL aspect.

a b
(Ice-axe)
Regional Support on 07/03/2012 22:38:00 MDT Print View

Eric, I am thinking about that too.
I have two decades of hiking experience in Northern Yosemite and Hetch Hetchy in particular.
I live three hours away from those environs.
In the past i have taken groups of foreign (Swiss and Swiss German) visitors into the Northern Yosemite wilderness on trips. Mostly smaller groups of less than ten people.
I would be willing to guide a group of BPL'ers to some of my favorite haunts.
My expertise is early season snow travel.
Anyhow, put me down for an option for early season Northern Yosemite.

Edited by Ice-axe on 07/03/2012 22:39:08 MDT.

jim bailey
(florigen) - F - M

Locale: South East
the great western medicine show on 07/03/2012 23:15:32 MDT Print View

Edited.....sign

Edited by florigen on 07/04/2012 07:06:32 MDT.

a b
(Ice-axe)
. on 07/03/2012 23:20:55 MDT Print View

Edited by Ice-axe on 07/05/2012 23:31:44 MDT.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Ryan Jordan pops in on 07/03/2012 23:32:48 MDT Print View

I note with interest that Ryan is working closely with Sony (a big company) to make sure he is accurate in his review before publishing. I hope that he will extend exactly the same courtesy to cottage manufacturers before discussing their shelter offerings.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Ryan Jordan & BPL on 07/04/2012 00:53:41 MDT Print View

For me, it's this:

For the valued information I've learned and the renewed vigor I have towards backpacking and its attendant gear, I will never regret the money I spent on this site.

I would really like it to stay the same. If it cannot, I'd like to follow this community wherever it eventually evolves to.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Ryan Jordan & BPL on 07/04/2012 07:44:56 MDT Print View

it's not our place to out others with personal matters.

sigh

does anyone see anything wrong with that, or is it just me. This is quite depressing. I am off to go on a nice long walk until Sunday.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

deleted on 07/04/2012 07:54:54 MDT Print View

deleted

Edited by kthompson on 07/18/2012 22:47:50 MDT.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Re: Ryan Jordan. His words. on 07/04/2012 08:24:01 MDT Print View

True it was posted on a public site for just the M folks to read, and yes, it's all for everyone to read.

I myself am becoming more and more disillusioned by this whole campaign. I just don't like this. Just my 2 cents.

It's the poking and badgering that has occurred that I am not comfortable reading, and I am not the only one. I just feel there are better and more productive ways to go about things. How? I am not sure.....So please don't take me to task on that, as I have no answers.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

deleted on 07/04/2012 08:32:02 MDT Print View

deleted

Edited by kthompson on 07/18/2012 22:48:25 MDT.

Paul Rudd
(Paulrudd) - F
Ryan pops in on 07/04/2012 09:02:01 MDT Print View

How many times have you said that you are done posting on the matter until Ryan makes a move? Can't you stick to your own words or is that something you only call Jordan on?

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

deleted on 07/04/2012 09:04:55 MDT Print View

deleted

Edited by kthompson on 07/18/2012 22:49:04 MDT.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
paul. on 07/04/2012 11:39:52 MDT Print View

Paul Rudd, your only two posts are on this subject.

Hmmmm.

Ron D
(dillonr) - MLife

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Ryan pops in on 07/04/2012 12:18:58 MDT Print View

Ken - I have to agree with Ken Helwig, you should not have posted the MLIFE message from Ryan in the general forums especially since it contained personal information. He could and would have posted it to everyone if he wanted to. You have complained over and over again about Ryan not involving the MLIFE members in the strategic planning process as promised, but it's never going to happen when members like yourself have zero discretion. Ryan has started to change his behavior for the better and is becoming more communicative how about you trying to change into a more positive influence on the forums in response.
Ron

Edited by dillonr on 07/04/2012 22:17:23 MDT.

spelt the enigmatic
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Well, on 07/04/2012 13:42:38 MDT Print View

Obviously I speak only for myself, but I appreciate being able to see the update. I can't see the MLife thread where this post originated, but posting it here doesn't seem to be an act of malice on Ken's part. I won't speak as to Ken's behavior in this matter except to say that to me it appeared persistent and frustrated, but not hostile. I agree with most of his points concerning BPL's lack of direction and Ryan's (until now) lapse in communication, even if I would not word them the same way he has. I hope this is the start of a revival, as I'd much rather see the site become more active and engaging and positive than less.

Richard Scruggs
(JRScruggs) - MLife

Locale: Oregon
Re: Re: Re: Ryan pops in on 07/04/2012 13:53:24 MDT Print View

+1 re Ken Helwig and Ronald Dillon on posting Ryan's MLife comments in this thread.

As for merits (or lack of merits) on the substance of all the angst, when all's said and done, it's just a website for gosh sake -- not "Paradise Lost" yet to be "Regained" by some self-annointed White Knight waging a war of bashing some inflatable "Dragon" endlessly.

Wouldn't blame Ryan if he just said "to heck with it" and walked away for the summer.

For anyone who might take offense at my expressing a personal opinion, it's America isn't it? And opinions sure flow pretty freely here.

Plus, my opinion comes (free of charge) with my regrets at all the anger directed at the one guy who actually created BPL, and who has done more than anyone else to keep it going since starting it up.

Now it's all come down to this: for the price of a few evenings out on the town, there's a view that Ryan has condemned himself to a lifetime of endentured servitude.

With public whippings thrown in for good measure, too.

So he's bashed like a mega-monolithic corporation lacking any integrity or morals, out to shaft the "People" who bought a ticket to ride Ryan for life.

Sure seems like a waste of tautological vitriol when there are so many real "dragons" out there to slay.

Regardless, it does seem that "burning the village to save it" is the current state of complaints, and still as oxymoronic as ever.

"It's better to light one candle than curse the darkness" just might be a positive course that would promote a better future at/for BPL.

As they say, killing 'em with kindness catches more bees.

Edited by JRScruggs on 07/04/2012 13:55:50 MDT.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

deleted on 07/04/2012 14:33:12 MDT Print View

deleted

Edited by kthompson on 07/18/2012 22:49:34 MDT.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Ryan Jordan pops in on 07/04/2012 14:59:57 MDT Print View

>> Wouldn't blame Ryan if he just said "to heck with it" and walked away for the summer <<

That suggests Ryan is back... but then I'm not an M-Lifer, so I wouldn't know that if it wasn't for Ken. ;)

If Ryan is back it's because he wants something... Oh yes, that's right, I just saw his advert for his Trekking courses... I guess you are right, we will be hearing from him.

As for Ken posting Ryan's note above... Do you M-Lifers have to sign a non-disclosure contract? Maybe a secret password and special hand-shake (or maybe a special QR code just for M-Lifers).