Forum Index » GEAR » Patagonia Hoodini : Almost, but no cigar.

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
Function over form on 07/02/2012 19:49:34 MDT Print View

The first time I wore my Montbell wind parka, my wife asked if I was trying out for "Devo".

With regard to "a certain BPL thread with out of shape BPLers hiking more or less naked in the woods ..." I might have posted this picture, but it wasn't really me. I promise.

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
colors on 07/02/2012 20:53:46 MDT Print View

I don't mind because I am much more visible to hunters.

Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Locale: USA
Houdini Colors on 07/02/2012 21:27:19 MDT Print View

I readily agree that everyone has different opinions and loyalties to different manufactureres, but I don't always get the vitrolic or venomouns comments about Patagonia on this site.

Every year, like most garments in their line, the Houdini is always avaialable in black as well as a variety of at least 4 or 5 other colors. I got mine last year in a dark indigo-blue color. The only color I've ever seen for any Patagonia garment that isn't readily found in nature is the Fuscia pink.

Also, I love a bargain and rarely pay full price for anything. Between this and other online vendors and the twice per year 30-50% off sale, there's no reason IMHO to carp about their prices. Also, I have Patagonia garments that I have literally had for more than 15 years, wear constantly and they show hardly any wear if any at all. The quality is definitely there. "Patagucci" I think not! You get what you pay for!!

For me, Patagonia rocks, especially with their business ethics and commitment to countless environmental and social justice causes since the founding of the company, long before U.S. companies received tax write-offs for theses types of charitible works.

David Adair
(DavidAdair) - M

Locale: West Dakota
Re: colors on 07/02/2012 21:34:04 MDT Print View

Yes, you should be safer...as long as you don't run into one with a gauche tag.

Seriously, protest as I might its just whatever is on sale.

Nathan Watts
(7sport) - MLife
Military/Tactical on 07/02/2012 21:36:22 MDT Print View

You can try to find clothing geared towards military use. I sort of remember stumbling across the Arcteryx Squamish wind jacket in tan or green on a military/tactical clothing type web store.

Also check out Wild Things Gear. they've got a whole line of outdoor gear for the armed forces. I can't recall if you need a govt ID to purchase it, or if that just gets you some sort of discount.

I like different colored outerwear because it stands out in photographs. As beautiful as the scenery is sometimes, a picture just doesn't show it well without a human in it for scale. And bright clothing makes my friends and I visible (and uniquely identifiable) in pictures, which I find to be a good thing.

That being said I'm almost always in a white long sleeve and black shorts for whatever reason, unless conditions mandate a jacket of some sort.

Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Locale: New England
Re: Houdini Colors on 07/02/2012 21:40:24 MDT Print View

My theory is that these unusual colors are meant to attract a higher income market. The colors therefore are meant to differentiate oneself from the lower class hunter/camper type in subdued army gear and more importantly to signal that one is in fact not a dirty homeless person when they get back from some outdoor adventure because their clothes are brightly colored and styled. The draw back is that you will spend good money on something that dose not look good as casual daily wear unless your a teen or a club kid from the 90's

Jeremy B.
(requiem) - F - M

Locale: Northern California
Re: Re: Houdini Colors on 07/03/2012 00:09:26 MDT Print View

A worthy attempt Brian, but I don't think I would have had the color blindness necessary to wear something like this back in the 90's. I fear that with the current fall line, the "Stitchers in a dark cave" appears the most plausible.

(Observe also that the jacket I linked, in "cilantro", wouldn't make one much more visible to hunters.)

Greg Pehrson
(GregPehrson) - MLife

Locale: playa del caballo blanco
Link to olive green MARS Houdini on 07/03/2012 05:48:34 MDT Print View

More expensive than the current offering, but here's the army green houdini Mike referenced:
http://www.overstocktactical.com/products/patagonia-ms-houdini-full-zip-19040-984?utm_source=google-product-search

David Adair
(DavidAdair) - M

Locale: West Dakota
Re: Link to olive green MARS Houdini on 07/03/2012 08:34:13 MDT Print View

Thanks much Greg! Ordered one. I have been looking for one in alpha green in XXL for ages.

clay stewart
(Reluctantwaterhauler) - F
Cool, green it is! on 07/03/2012 15:29:49 MDT Print View

Thanks Greg, I just ordered one as well. Someone mentioned the black ones, but I've yet to see one of them in stock, for the past year and a half, in my size. I contemplated the blue one, but I just didn't want another blue jacket.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Patagonia Hoodini colors on 07/03/2012 16:04:41 MDT Print View

Eddie Bauer did the same thing with the First Ascent wind shirt-- bright blue with a red zipper. I got my Houdini on sale, but it is bright green. I guess they like to make it stand out on the rack. What the heck, these bright colors might save our bacon some day, making it easier to find us or maybe gag the cougar stalking us ;)

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Clown colors! on 07/03/2012 16:15:22 MDT Print View

I agree with Clay. I've passed on several backpacking items because they had "Clown colors", ESPECIALLY some shoes and boots. SHEESH!.

Not to be sexist (well, maybe a teensy bit) but many of the more "flourescent" colors in backpacking clothing and gear are better suited for the covers of VOGUE or GLAMOUR magazines than the trail.

My wildest color is my electric blue Eddie Bauer down jacket (in my avatar) and an REI Kimtah eVent parka in "Taro Leaf" green. The EB down jacket was SO inexpensive at $89. that I would probably have taken "Arrest Me Red".

Greens, browns, camos, grays, black, even subdued blues are fine with me. Being so "au courant" that you have to have outlandish colors is OK for the Streets of Boulder, Colorado, so you can fit in with the young "Trustafarians", but much less so on the trail.

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
90s Fashion on 07/03/2012 16:41:33 MDT Print View

Jeremey, check out this link with some representative 90s fashion/colors. Mostly scroll to the bottom few pictures.

Just cuz YOU had style (or were into grunge) doesn't mean the rest of America had any taste ;). I was recently watching some home videos and I was definitely dressed in blue and neon oranges back in the 90s by my parents. At least now there's some "reason" to the clashing colors: they accent and highlight product features. Back in the 90s it was just random neon colored patterns and prints!

http://www.rubyvelour.com/2012/01/disappointment-tuesday-005/

Jon Leibowitz
(jleeb) - F - MLife

Locale: 4Corners
What am I missing here? on 07/04/2012 07:50:05 MDT Print View

Patagonia sells a grey and blue Houdini?

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/patagonia-mens-houdini-full-zip-jacket?p=24017-0-791

Those look earth tone to me.

Wes Kline
(weskline) - F

Locale: Adirondacks
colors exist on 07/04/2012 08:20:27 MDT Print View

I think that the connection between 'earth tones' (itself a ridiculous idea, since almost every visible color is represented somewhere in the natural world) and LNT is one of the sillier ideas around. As Goethe points out in his theory of color, color should not be approached as a psychological event, but rather as a phenomenal event. If we try to approach color this way, it becomes more a 'fact in the world' and less a 'psychological disturbance.' As Wittgenstein notes in his "Remarks on Color":

"Therefore we seem to have two different views when it comes to our experience of colour: one which makes us not to question the fact that we see, and that we see in a specific way (use/ experience); and another view that makes us consider that the way we deal with colour, as apparently well grounded in logic, is logically unsustainable."

So I would propose that we approach 'color' as an opportunity to see further, slipping away from logic, moving towards 'pure' experience.

Edited by weskline on 07/04/2012 08:21:31 MDT.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
two houdini's! on 07/04/2012 10:32:38 MDT Print View

I just noticed they have two Houdini's on their site- the "new" Houdini and the "old" Houdini

one (new) is a 10 denier and weighs 4.0 oz, the other (old) 15 denier and weighs 4.3 oz

both are full zip, both have hoods, both have a zipped upper pocket

the "new" one evidently is more wind resistant, but a little less breathable, weighs less and is $25 cheaper- very interesting :)

Ed Biermann
(longstride) - F
Re: two houdini's! on 07/04/2012 11:01:46 MDT Print View

I like them except that I do miss hand pockets. Never use the chest pocket. Black should be a standard offering in everything, IMO.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: colors exist on 07/04/2012 11:15:46 MDT Print View

But some really like the absence of color ie. black. Some of those colors offered seem pretty unnatural. It is one thing to see an inch long electric green tree frog, another to see a 250lb electric green hiker.

I too would like hand pockets instead of the chest pocket.

clay stewart
(Reluctantwaterhauler) - F
Yeah .hand Pockets on 07/04/2012 14:16:24 MDT Print View

I agree, the only other complaint is hand pockets, with this jacket, but I got a color I like coming, so enough bitching for now, but next time, I'm going to want pockets. Now, I need some ultralight gloves, that aren't rainbow colored? :)

Daniel Cox
(COHiker) - F

Locale: San Isabel NF
Re: What am I missing here? on 07/04/2012 14:28:29 MDT Print View

I'm diggin' that platinum color Houdini.

I thought the EB sirocco windshell in light grey with the green zipper was really nice too.