Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Powdered drinks
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jen Churchward
(mahgnillig) - F
Powdered drinks on 06/30/2012 20:07:42 MDT Print View

Hi all :)

I'm having trouble finding a drink powder that fits my criteria... and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I'm not really bothered whether it's a "sports" drink or not, I'd really just like something that tastes good. On a regular (work) day, I usually drink a smoothie for breakfast, some coffee mid-morning, fruit juice at lunch, lemonade (the stuff that's made with just lemons, sugar & water) at dinner and tea at supper. I supplement that with water during the day if/when I'm thirsty. I don't drink a lot of water... honestly I just don't like it that much and would rather drink something that has a flavour. When I hike/backpack I drink mostly water during the day, but at camp I really crave something sweet such as I usually have at home... but obviously bringing fruit juice along is impractical (and heavy!)

So, with that in mind, I'm looking for some kind of powder that I can mix with water that doesn't taste nasty. Here's the thing though... I'm not really keen on putting too many artificial things in my body, and I generally try to avoid stuff with high fructose corn syrup or artificial colours (that rules out Koolaid). I also absolutely detest the aftertaste of any kind of sweetener that isn't sugar... SweetNLo, Splenda, Stevia etc... all those just taste nasty to me, and it seems the majority of powdered drinks are marketed towards those looking for low calorie stuff. Ideally what I'd like is a lemonade powder that tastes like real lemons, is sweetened with sugar, has no artificial colouring and preferably comes in small, trail-friendly packets. Does anyone know of such a substance?

Edited by mahgnillig on 06/30/2012 20:17:35 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Powdered drinks on 06/30/2012 20:21:34 MDT Print View

First of all, I am not put off by decent chemical nutrients. On my last trip, I took a bag of Gatorade, a bag of Cytomax, and a bag of Vitalyte powders. I also have the stuff to assemble my own custom mix. The advantage of the custom mix is that you can tune it to your own preferences. I read the labels on the commercial products to figure out which of them I like and which I don't like.

1. You probably want some kind of sweetener, either sugar, glucose, or maltodextrin. I find maltodextrin to be less sweet than sugar, but it works pretty good. I keep my sweeteners lower than the commercial products.

2. You probably want a pinch of some kind of electrolytes, sodium chloride table salt, or potassium chloride dieter's salt.

3. I also have some sodium citrate for zippy flavor, but you can get dehydrated orange, lemon, and lime crystals. Flavor is a very personal thing.

4. If you are shopping for dehydrated fruit powder, you might want something like dehydrated cherry powder. That will give some natural dark color.

I think it is good to have different mixes on one long trip, because you can get tired of only one and then not drink enough water.

--B.G.--

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Powdered drinks on 06/30/2012 21:06:07 MDT Print View

Will you drink Stevia? If so, both Trader Joe's and Crystal Lite make lines of it (as does Walmart) of natural dye/Stevia/sugar blend mixes. IMO with it being mixed you can't taste Stevia (which is from said herb plant).

Or...you can make your own. It is easy. Buy True Lemon powder and mix with sugar and water. Ta-Da. Instant lemonade.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Powdered drinks on 06/30/2012 21:26:30 MDT Print View

Tang for me, but I use it for hot trips in desert. Hot water tastes yucky.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Powdered drinks on 06/30/2012 21:36:36 MDT Print View

Edited by annapurna on 07/01/2012 13:59:21 MDT.

Rod Lawlor
(Rod_Lawlor) - MLife

Locale: Australia
Nerada iced tea sachets on 07/01/2012 05:44:45 MDT Print View

Hi Jen,

I agree that there are times that a flavoured drink is preferable, and hav esimilar criteria to you. I have discovered a local (Australian) product, Nerada iced tea sachets. These are single serve sachets, that they recommend for about 7oz of water. I find this a little sweet, and mix up to about 12oz (350ml). It has sugar, but no artificial sweetners or colours. It also contains caffeine, which I like at about 3pm.

The other product I like is Hansell's Vitafresh. No artificial colours, flavoured or sweetners. This may be available in the US. I like the Jamacian Lime, or the colorless raspberry if you can get it. It comes in a sachet to make one litre, but again I find this too sweet, and tend to mix half strength.

The only issue is that auger is much heavier and bulkier than aspartame, but I think it's worth it to avoid the nasty aftertaste.

Rod

Jen Churchward
(mahgnillig) - F
Lots to try on 07/01/2012 10:59:37 MDT Print View

Thanks all! :)

I have a Trader Joe's and a Smiths somewhat near me, so I can give the Trader Joe's brand and the True Lemon brand a shot. Unfortunately it looks like the Aussie brands are only available in Aus, NZ & UK... I'll keep an eye out next time I'm in the UK though :)

Daniel Cox
(COHiker) - F

Locale: San Isabel NF
Re: Lots to try on 07/01/2012 12:51:45 MDT Print View

Have you tried MiO?
On a whim I started putting it in my water bottle in the spring and drink at least a liter of water lightly flavored with it every day. I especially take it camping because I dislike the taste of AquaMira; CamelBak bladders even more so.
For a few bucks, it might be worth a try if you're just looking to make water taste like something.
They come in 2.6 oz squeeze containers and can make probably 30L of water, at least.

Jen Churchward
(mahgnillig) - F
Taste test on 07/02/2012 17:34:47 MDT Print View

Thought I'd report back on my mini taste test conducted today.

I got some Crystal Light packets sweetened with Stevia, some True Lemon packets sweetened with Stevia, and some True Lime just on its own. The Stevia stuff was pretty grim... it still has that nasty aftertaste, just like all the chemical sweeteners. I will be avoiding this from now on.

The True Lime was awesome! I bought the packets that are used for cooking. 2 True Lime packets and a tablespoon of powdered sugar in a 16oz Nalgene makes a nice flavoured water that has just the right amount of lime and is not too sweet. I will be using this as my dinner time drink from now on :)

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Taste test on 07/02/2012 17:53:45 MDT Print View

You might try the maltodextrin instead of Stevia.

Where I live, there are stores that sell all sorts of nutritional supplements for bodybuilders and sports fanatics. I found a three-pound jug of maltodextrin, which is just about what I needed for mixture experimentation and a summer's worth of trips.

I grow red raspberries on my patio. I pick those, then dehydrate them until I have this red granular stuff. I work that with a mortar and pestle until I get a fine red granular stuff, and I use that for raspberry flavoring.

--B.G.--

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Taste test on 07/02/2012 22:13:03 MDT Print View

Jen, I can tell you the Trader Joe ones taste better than the CL ones do.

terry tiedeman
(Terry62) - F
powdered drink on 05/11/2013 18:28:00 MDT Print View

coco hydro is pretty good. dehydrated coconut water

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: powdered drink on 05/12/2013 06:22:02 MDT Print View

"coco hydro is pretty good. dehydrated ..... water"

ahhh. I've been waiting for this.