Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
NeoAir Hacking
Display Avatars Sort By:
Pete Staehling
(staehpj1) - F
NeoAir Hacking on 06/29/2012 09:15:12 MDT Print View

Has anyone successfully installed a valve in a cut off piece of NeoAir pad. I have one with a bad place in the middle and am think of cutting out the bad part and making a sit-pad/pillow from one piece and a short sleeping pad from the other. The resealing looks easy, but I have not seen where anyone has successfully installed a valve.

Any clues?

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - F - M

Locale: NW Montana
Re: NeoAir Hacking on 06/29/2012 09:35:34 MDT Print View

Dan Durston did this a while back. Here's the thread: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=58707

Adam Kramer
(rbeard) - F

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia
Re: Re: NeoAir Hacking on 06/29/2012 09:43:06 MDT Print View

video on how to do it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kumSl-cbLlY

Pete Staehling
(staehpj1) - F
Re: Re: NeoAir Hacking on 06/29/2012 09:57:26 MDT Print View

Thanks guys. The video seems to only be for sealing the seam not adding a valve or am I missing something?

The thread does give me an idea of one way to do it. Seems a little crude, but perhaps it is effective.

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - F - M

Locale: NW Montana
Re: Re: Re: NeoAir Hacking on 06/29/2012 10:14:26 MDT Print View

You could also PM Dan about it. He's a great guy and usually helpful.

Roger Heward
(green1) - F

Locale: Alberta, Canada
Modify? or return? on 07/02/2012 22:06:56 MDT Print View

I in no way want to hamper your enthusiasm for this DIY project, but you should realize that Sierra Designs have amazing warranty support on their products, so if the "bad spot" isn't obvious external damage, I would suspect the mattress to be of more value as a trade in for a free new one then as a hacking project.

If you melted, or slashed, or something else your NeoAir, then carry on as if I hadn't said anything and modify to your heart's content!

Pete Staehling
(staehpj1) - F
NeoAir Warranty on 07/05/2012 11:19:22 MDT Print View

Your advice is good. Since my last post, I called Cascade Designs and they agreed to cover it under warranty despite the fact that I did not remember when or where I purchased it and thought it was probably out of warranty. The gave me an RA# and I shipped it back a few days ago.