Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
College is finally getting exciting...
Display Avatars Sort By:
Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
College is finally getting exciting... on 02/27/2007 13:40:20 MST Print View

I go to school in Rolla, MO. Its a generally boring town, partial due to thet fact that we are an engineering school. Some of you may have heard the Lewis Black skit about our 'fine' town. Well, today things got a little more interesting.
My roommate got a call this morning at about 7:20 saying that classes were canceled until 10:00 due to something happening in the Civil Eng building on campus. I went back to sleep, since I didn't have class until 10:00 anyway.
After I got showered up before class I checked my email and found that classes had been canceled until 10:30 and that a student had been arrested for making a bomb/terrorist threat against the building at about 2:30 this morning. They had found a white powdery substance on him that he claimed was anthrax and when he resisted, they hit him with the taser and arrested him. They locked down the building he had threatened and brought in the FBI and the explosives team from Fort Leonard Wood. They ended up having to decontaminate 23 people who were in the building at the time of the threat.
At about 10:20 the university announced that classes were canceled for the rest of the day and that no one should come on campus unless they absolutely had to. They also divulged that the student was and international grad student who was upset with his grades and that they think that he was motivated by his depression and not any type of terrorism.
We even got CNN and Fox News coverage. I know its a twisted view, but Rolla has been a much more interesting place today. I just felt like sharing this, since I'm sure some of you may have noticed the story scrolling across the bottom of CNN and wondered what was happening. Who am I kidding! No one cares what happens in Rolla, not even those of us who live here :).

Adam

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
Wow... on 02/27/2007 14:20:36 MST Print View

"No one cares what happens in Rolla, not even those of us who live here :)"

Certainly not those of us who bleed crimson and blue. ;)

Seriously, I just overheard someone in the office mentioning that situation... that beats snow-day, hands-down.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Rolla on 04/06/2007 15:27:48 MDT Print View

I had a buddy who went to Rolla, claimed they had a 1/4 barrel chug, with a hop, skip, and a puke contest on the side. And you say it's boring.........

Edited by skinewmexico on 04/06/2007 15:28:37 MDT.

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
Hop, Skip, Puke on 04/06/2007 15:58:24 MDT Print View

"I had a buddy who went to Rolla, claimed they had a 1/4 barrel chug, with a hop, skip, and a puke contest on the side. And you say it's boring........."

I had a buddy who passed on going to Rolla because he saw engineers had their calculators out and were estimating velocities while this was going on and postulating on correct angle for the best range... of course these engineers were just as drunk, but my buddies point was "I don't want to think about math when I'm trying to get drunk".

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Hop, Skip, Puke on 04/08/2007 11:38:32 MDT Print View

We've played video games and tried doing Calculus on multiple occasions while drunk. Halo 2 and Quake 4 are quite entertaining to play with a drunk guy. The only way I ever win is if most of the other people playing are drunk anyway...
Rolla does have quite a few parties, though mostly because there isn't anything else to do there and classes can be pretty rough most of the time.

Adam