November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Platypus bladder cap
Display Avatars Sort By:
Doug Parker
(BuffaloSkipper) - F

Locale: Gulf Coast
Platypus bladder cap on 06/28/2012 08:37:15 MDT Print View

I just purchased a 3L Platypus for my son for Philmont. He will be using it as a water supply when headed into a dry camp (2 on his trek). It weighs 4 oz with the hose cap/attachment, but he has no interest in the hose, and only wants to use it as a 3L container (weighs 1.7 oz empty). Where can I find a regular cap to fit this? Is it the same size as a 2L soda bottle cap?

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - F

Locale: NW Montana
Re: Platypus bladder cap on 06/28/2012 08:49:05 MDT Print View

You can probably get it from wherever you can get a Platypus reservoir. I use a cap for my 3L bladder some of the time. The soda bottle ones do not fit (they leak). Platypus sells a pack of two for $2-3.

It's silly because they ought to just be included, but it's only a couple of bucks. Not worth the time to complain, in my opinion.

EDIT: Here it is at REI just so you know what you're looking for. Listed at $2.95.

Edited by GlacierRambler on 06/28/2012 08:50:27 MDT.

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Platypus bladder cap on 06/28/2012 11:12:27 MDT Print View

Doug I would recommend getting the Platy push/pull top in is much more versatile than the plain cap- Here

Jason Klass did a neat attachment for it- Here

You don't need to make the string that long or that thick.

Edited by bestbuilder on 06/28/2012 11:21:42 MDT.

Sumi Wada
(DetroitTigerFan) - F

Locale: Ann Arbor
Re: Platypus bladder cap on 06/28/2012 11:20:54 MDT Print View

If you get the push-pull cap, be careful how you pack it. I had one get pulled open inside my daypack apparently from just being jostled inside the pack while hiking.

It's how I found out that my daypack is pretty darn waterproof and could be used as a water bucket in a pinch... :/

Edited by DetroitTigerFan on 06/29/2012 12:35:02 MDT.

spelt with a t
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
smart water caps on 06/28/2012 13:19:53 MDT Print View

the caps from the large smart water bottles will fit. i've used them plenty of times with no leakage.

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
platy caps on 06/29/2012 09:58:52 MDT Print View

I always switch out my Platy push pull caps for small nalagene pill bottle caps that are stronger structurally wise and a prefect fit. You can get them at REI.