Forum Index » GEAR » Smallest simplest GPS receiver

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeremy B.
(requiem) - F - M

Locale: Northern California
Re: UTM on 06/29/2012 00:12:17 MDT Print View

I'm pretty sure you should be able to configure the Foretrex models to display UTM.

If your map is to a common scale, you can use a UTM grid reader to easily get more precise coordinates, or to locate yourself. (The reader linked there is about the size of a business card.) Very handy when plotting locations, particularly if you're coordinating with others or not even carrying a GPS.

Peeve: The various display formats used for lat/long coordinates, e.g. W120°58'57", W120°58.292' or "W120.8362°".

Jeremy B.
(requiem) - F - M

Locale: Northern California
Can we build it? on 06/29/2012 00:46:09 MDT Print View

Given the current size and power draw of GPS chips (about 7x7mm), it seems it might be possible to embed a chip, antenna, battery, and e-ink display into something similar in size and shape to those LiveStrong bracelets. Only output would be UTM coordinates, so only a single line of text, and probably a touch sensor for power and datum changes.

My question is, would a battery sufficient for a few weeks run-time fit in something that size? How feasible might such a project be?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: Re: weight v.s. maps on 06/29/2012 01:16:00 MDT Print View

"What's the resistance to using UTM?"

One thing is a small factor, but I learned land nav way back when they were still trying to perfect the magnetic compass, so I grew up with lat/long. Also, I think in terms of feet or yards or miles, not meters and kilometers. From time to time, I have converted over to use UTM, but so few of the maps that I've seen have a very robust implementation of UTM. I've also converted over to use the Military Grid and used that for a time. Some of the topo maps use both lat/long and UTM, so it really doesn't matter.

Some of the problem comes from the datum. So few people deal with the datum when they refer to lat/long, UTM, Military, or anything else, and they don't seem to realize how far that can skew your apparent position. I contacted a GPS manufacturer one time about the database that one receiver product used, and I asked about the datum. Their answer was, "Huh?"

--B.G.--

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Can we build it? on 06/29/2012 01:20:15 MDT Print View

"My question is, would a battery sufficient for a few weeks run-time fit in something that size?"

I think that would be very tough. The display, however small, is the power hog.

--B.G.--

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Smallest simplest GPS receiver on 06/29/2012 02:57:26 MDT Print View

>> Checked out a Foretrex 301, and it didn't give UTM either. Am I missing something? <<

Yes you are missing something. Look under setup/units and you can set the Fortrex to UTM.

>> My question is, would a battery sufficient for a few weeks run-time fit in something that size? <<

As I mentioned in my post above, you have to pay the big bucks for the ultimate light weight GPS. The Ambit would do just what you want and if the GPS was only used briefly to pick up a coordinate (it even does UTM), it would last a long time and could be recharged with a small USB charger. The downside is that it's $500. Wait a few years and competition in the market place should make watches like the Ambit affordable (maybe...).

http://www.suunto.com/global/en/products/Outdoor_Sports_Instruments/suunto-ambit/suunto-ambit-black#all

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Smallest simplest GPS receiver on 06/29/2012 03:02:58 MDT Print View

Ambit is heavier than the Holux. Perhaps I should finally write to Holux to let them know that some of us would buy this if it showed UTM.

Alex H
(abhitt) - MLife

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW
Re: Re: Smallest simplest GPS receiver on 06/29/2012 05:06:41 MDT Print View

Go Eugene!! It would be great if they would.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Re: Re: Smallest simplest GPS receiver on 06/29/2012 07:58:56 MDT Print View

for sure the Foretrex can use UTM :) once I switched to UTM's I don't see myself every going back to lat/long, 10x10 grids just make it so simple imo- I do spend 10 minutes or so pre-trip and grid my maps out (so I can lay my plastic grid within a grid)

someone brought up the Ambit in another thread, GPS- UTM capable, high quality receiver, altimeter, electric compass, more- I wish they hadn't brought up the Ambit :)

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
UTM on 06/30/2012 20:49:50 MDT Print View

Mike W,
Thanks much. Will see if I can get it to convert.
Sam

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
UTM on 07/01/2012 11:20:33 MDT Print View

If it's like the Geko, set the field to 'Location' instead of 'Lat/Long' on your Foretrex. At first I couldn't figure out how to get UTM on my Geko because 'UTM' wasn't a menu option.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Forerunners or Highgear on 07/01/2012 11:29:35 MDT Print View

do any of the Garmin watches display in UTM? how about the Highgear watches?