Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Saddened by the Wildfires
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kathy A Handyside
(earlymusicus) - M

Locale: Southeastern Michigan
Re: Saddened by the Wildfires on 06/29/2012 01:39:23 MDT Print View

I read that there are investigations starting to determine if some of the fires were started by arsonists. It's heartbreaking enough when these fires are caused by lightning, but the thought of some being deliberately set by arsonists is just horrifying.

Kathy

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods
RE: Wildfires on 06/29/2012 06:39:04 MDT Print View

Kathy,
Yes, and it's not the first time arson has reared it's head in the midst of lightning caused wildfires....not sure why, maybe they just "get the bug" seeing all the fires, or maybe they think it's less likely they'll get caught....terribly sad either way, especially when loss of life is the end result. Not to mention putting firefighters at unnecessary risk. I also know that we all pay for it in the end....my insurance premium jumped this year after all the fires we had in TX last summer.

Edited by leighb on 06/29/2012 06:40:35 MDT.

Hobbes W
(Hobbesatronic) - F

Locale: SoCal
Forest Fires on 06/29/2012 10:24:58 MDT Print View

"We're all guilty of the desire to preserve nature in a snapshot. Never changing and always constant. But nature doesn't really care what we want. We can and have suppressed fires for years. In the long run it'll cause a lot of grief."

This +1

Mean reversion is a beotch. The desire to keep it green by putting crews on it when it's endangered just means it's gonna get burned out to the core when it does go up.

What doesn't bend eventually breaks. Instead of a mixed healthy forest, we have forests on steroids (lush & green) that suffer catastrophic losses when the jig is up.

Daniel Cox
(COHiker) - F

Locale: San Isabel NF
Re: Saddened by the Wildfires on 06/29/2012 12:19:32 MDT Print View

Tuesday afternoon of the Waldo Canyon Fire west of Colorado Springs. Just a few hours before 350 homes were burnt to the ground.Fire