November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Fritos as fire starter
Display Avatars Sort By:
Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: London, UK
Fritos as fire starter on 06/27/2012 07:50:22 MDT Print View

Edited by rmjapan on 06/19/2015 08:05:19 MDT.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
re: Fritos on 06/27/2012 09:16:31 MDT Print View

Just be sure to use them without any dip!

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Scoops on 06/27/2012 09:47:22 MDT Print View

I've played around with the concept myself, mainly to provide a little funky shock-and-awe to my mates when starting a camp fire while truck camping. I mix an alcohol-based hand sanitizer (Purell) 50-50 with Everclear to boost the alcohol content, and squirt a bit into a Scoop, light it, then add a few more Scoops around the edge. Then just add tiny kindling. It works like a charm, and it is guaranteed to impress the 8-year olds.

But if I really want to dazzle them, I set up the fire first, complete with tiny kindling at the base, then arranging the correct configuration of wood in increasing diameters on top. Then, I use a Snow Peak blow torch to set the kindling on fire. Noisy, effective, and impressive--an instant camp fire. It's a good use of nearly empty 110 g. canisters.