Since it has been a while, back to a familiar topic: UL camp shoes
Display Avatars Sort By:
Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Camp/river shoe problem on 06/28/2012 06:59:07 MDT Print View

"One question about the vivobarefoot then...how snug of a fit is it?? Do you slide around in them? Or are they too snug for socks in the am chill??"

It fits like a shoe, so no sliding around in them if sized properly. I wore mine walking up the middle of a fast-running stream, and had great traction in them. I could easily wear a pair of socks while wearing them if I wished, though not heavy, winter weight socks (any more than I could in my regular hiking shoes). Because they have laces, you can loosen them a bit or snug them up, depending on your wants/needs.

Todd Taylor
(texasbb) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Camp/river shoe problem on 06/28/2012 09:15:29 MDT Print View

"One question about the vivobarefoot then...how snug of a fit is it?? Do you slide around in them? Or are they too snug for socks in the am chill??"

Agree with the above. They fit like a shoe, very stable footbed, no sliding. Adding a wool sock in camp works fine.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Since it has been a while, back to a familiar topic: UL camp shoes on 06/28/2012 10:57:33 MDT Print View

Since I just splash through stream fords in my trail runners and walk them dry, if I want camp shoes it's strictly in camp. I want them mostly for getting in and out of the tent--my trail runner soles do tear up the ground just outside the door. I also tend to get cold feet. I therefore bought a pair of Goose Feet with the added overbooties. They are perfect for what I want them for!

I do have a pair of Sprint Aquatics, size 11, 1.7 oz. I still take them for hot weather or coast camping.

Edited by hikinggranny on 06/28/2012 11:01:22 MDT.

Diana Vann
(DianaV) - MLife

Locale: Wandering
Re: Since it has been a while, back to a familiar topic: UL camp shoes on 07/06/2012 20:22:14 MDT Print View

Hi Granny.

I've been looking at these on and off for a while, and I have a couple of questions about your Sprint Aquatics:

How does the size 11 relate to the size of other types of shoes (for example, do you also wear size 11 hiking shoes?)

Is that 1.7 oz per shoe or for the pair?

Thanks

Joe L
(heyyou) - MLife

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr
converting trail shoes to camp shoes on 07/08/2012 01:14:54 MDT Print View

At camp, I remove my orthotic insoles, tie my laces at maximum looseness, then slide my feet back into the now sloppy fitting trail shoes.

Not ideal, but good enough, since the additional weight is zero.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Re: Since it has been a while, back to a familiar topic: UL camp shoes on 07/08/2012 01:54:31 MDT Print View

my sprint aquatics are 1.7oz for the pair in size 6

Diana Vann
(DianaV) - MLife

Locale: Wandering
Re: Sprint Aquatics sizing on 07/08/2012 02:51:09 MDT Print View

Anna, Thanks.

Those are really ultralight. How does the sizing for the Sprint Aquatics relate to your regular (trail runner) shoe size?

Ryan Dorn
(fiestabuckeye)
Ikea on 07/08/2012 03:00:53 MDT Print View

I'm using a pair of flip flops I got at Ikea for around $5 and they weigh 1.8 ounces each in medium.

Anyone know how the sizing works for the Sprint Aquatica? I wear a men's 9.5. Thanks.

Edited by fiestabuckeye on 07/08/2012 03:15:51 MDT.

Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Locale: USA
Teva Mush Slippers (aka flip-flops) on 07/08/2012 04:15:43 MDT Print View

I have toyed with several things (ie croc knock-offs, Zems, etc) including nothing or just punching some laces through a discarded insole, but I still keep my slippers as a luxury item/camp shoe, etc. I actually wear them everywhere and any time I'm not in my trail runners, ie. air travel, around town stops, etc. I like the break it gives my feet from being constrained in shoes.

My women's size 8 weighs 5.25 oz. for the pair. For the versatility and use I get out of them, I'm happy with that at least for now.

For river crossings, I just leave my trail runners on.

Sara C
(Jon) - M

Locale: SE Missouri and NW Arkansas
Re: Sprint Aquatics sizing on 07/08/2012 17:37:30 MDT Print View

Jon normally wears size 10.5 in shoes but his Sprint Aquatics are size 13.

twig .
(bretthartwig) - MLife

Locale: Australia
Re: Since it has been a while, back to a familiar topic: UL camp shoes on 07/15/2012 06:25:21 MDT Print View

These could be another option coming in August

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageMRS-ADPAD1.html