Grizzlies in Southern Winds
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeff Gerke
(mtnrunner) - M

Locale: Utah
Grizzlies in Southern Winds on 06/26/2012 13:08:17 MDT Print View

Thought this was interesting. Grizzly caught on camera in the Dickinson Park area.

http://county10.com/2012/06/07/g-bruin-caught-on-trail-camera-may-21st/

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Grizzlies in Southern Winds on 06/26/2012 14:32:22 MDT Print View

A grizz was caught on a hunter's trail camera on the Middle Fork Popo Agie trail last June--confirmed by the WY Game & Fish folks. Per the article above, they have been confirmed in the Big Sandy area. I think you can assume grizz anywhere in the Winds!

Edited by hikinggranny on 06/26/2012 15:47:49 MDT.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
I missed them? on 06/28/2012 13:58:35 MDT Print View

You mean they passed me by two years ago? :)
Duane

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Dumb bear question from a Midwesterner... on 06/29/2012 08:10:22 MDT Print View

Um, OK...we are headed to the southern Winds in August (thanks to all your suggestions!) and while I have a fair amount of black bear experience...not so much with the Grizz...

We are bringing 2 dogs.

Do we do anything differently than we would have if we just thought black bears were the only "threat?"

There are 6 of us (plus the dogs), we plan on bringing a couple of bear spray cans, and we're currently discussing canisters vs ursacks vs hanging (but we'll be above the tree line for most of it...we're doing the Hailey Pass - Washakie Pass loop from Big Sandy).

So...bear thoughts??

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Griz and dogs on 06/29/2012 08:47:59 MDT Print View

It would be best to keep the appetizers as close to you as possible

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - F - M

Locale: NW Montana
Re: Griz and dogs on 06/29/2012 09:42:12 MDT Print View

My thoughts? Don't bring the dogs.

Griz are very different animals than black bears. Blackies are far more tolerant and far less aggressive. 99% of the time, a griz will run the other way at seeing you. However, the possibility for a dangerous encounter is greatly increased with griz. Black bear sows are known not to attack even when their cubs are being trapped for tracking purposes. Griz--not so much.

We don't need to get into the whole "Bear Danger !" discussion, but you are dealing with a very different animal. A dog would most likely exacerbate the situation exactly when it needs to be de-escalated.

Also, read Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance by Steve Herrerro. He's a professor emeritus at the University of Calgary and spent a career researching bears and their behavior.