November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Shoes for Zion Transverse, Narrow and Rocky Mt.
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jun Bum Kim
(snvplayer) - F
Shoes for Zion Transverse, Narrow and Rocky Mt. on 06/24/2012 23:06:15 MDT Print View

I am planning to backpack Zion Narrow and I am looking for some recommendations:
I have Keen H2 sandal that I am planning to use in the water, and plan to buy Merrell Moab Gore-tex or other low cut hiking shoes
for dry terrain and Rocky Mt.

Would this be sufficient?

I will be spending about 4 days in Rocky Mt, 3 days in Transverse, and 2 days in Narrow.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - F

Shoes on 06/24/2012 23:27:27 MDT Print View

I'd prefer non-gore-tex (ie. non wp/b) shoes for the main traverse so your feet breathe better and stay dry instead of humid.

For the narrows, some short of water shoe would be somewhat nice, but I didn't have any trouble hiking it in regular hiking shoes last year. My feet would have gotten cold had I not been hiking hard (6.5hrs), but that was in September so I'm sure the water is warmer now. In terms of grip, I was content with regular hikers. YMMV.