Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
looking for an UL backpack
Display Avatars Sort By:
Steven Hanlon
(asciibaron) - F

Locale: Mid Atlantic
looking for an UL backpack - long torso on 06/20/2012 11:42:49 MDT Print View

i foolishly missed out on teh REI Flash deal that was happening in the spring. i am heading out this weekend for three days of fun in Dolly Sods and after putting everything into my McHale SARC Chasm i realized that i need a summer pack. i went to REI to see what they had, the Flash 30 isn't long enough, it was not very comfortable.

the McHale worksheet has my torso length as 24.5 inches, so i need something that is going to fit and not feel like it's too small.

Edited by asciibaron on 06/20/2012 11:47:30 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: looking for an UL backpack - long torso on 06/20/2012 11:51:20 MDT Print View

The Granite Gear Vapor Daypack in Large should fit. I normally wear a large in most standard packs but this one was too long in the torso.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: looking for an UL backpack - long torso on 06/20/2012 12:16:08 MDT Print View

My solution is a McHale Bump. However, I am fairly certain getting one will take more than 3 days ;-)

Steven Hanlon
(asciibaron) - F

Locale: Mid Atlantic
hahaha on 06/20/2012 14:40:34 MDT Print View

i'm not looking to score this in three days, rather my packing has made me realize i could shed 2+ pounds without much effort. i'm ALMOST an UL backpacker ;)

another McHale pack for a few weekends a year is overkill. just need something for the occasional summer weekend trip. the MLD Burn was one that i was made aware of, looks interesting.

Edited by asciibaron on 06/20/2012 14:43:55 MDT.

Mark Montag
(mMontag) - F
Deuter on 06/20/2012 17:43:07 MDT Print View

It may not be considered ultra-light but the Deuter Act-Zero 50+15 is weighting in at 3.25 lbs - it has a removable top pocket to further reduce weight if you can do without the pocket. Fantastic suspension and fully adjustable shoulder harness. The women's 45+15 has a slim (SL) harness - there is a men's harnesses available to retro-fit that pack as an accessory.

You can sometimes find the Act-Zero 60+10 - 2010 model - weights in at 3 lbs - non-removable top pocket.