Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Socks for hot weather
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jaiden .
(jaiden) - F
Socks for hot weather on 02/26/2007 07:34:13 MST Print View

I'm looking for some warm weather socks for the trip I'm planning to disney world in florida in a few months. My feet get hot and sweaty, so I find that cotton is uncomfortably clammy. I know it's a personal preference issue, but I'm wondering what the consensus is between a thin smartwool and some kind of synthetic.

These will double as warm/hot weather hiking socks, in the same vented trail runner shoes i'm taking to florida. Ideally, I'd like something in a mini crew in a plain color (white, offwhite light grey) for best utility.

Thoughts?

Joe Geib
(joegeib) - F

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys
Injinji socks? on 02/26/2007 08:55:46 MST Print View

Have you tried the Injinji socks? They're Coolmax, and seamless. My feet tend to sweat a lot too, and tend to blister, no matter what the sock. I used to get blisters with cotton socks during basketball, and even with good socks while hiking.

I have begun using the Injinji socks for longer hikes and basketball, and I have had happy feet.

http://tinyurl.com/2tonm4

Edited by joegeib on 02/26/2007 08:57:01 MST.

Chad Mason
(porch13) - M

Locale: Arizona
Injinji socks on 02/26/2007 09:26:26 MST Print View

I've been wearing Injinji socks for a while now and love them. They're thin, cool, and the chance of getting blisters anywhere near my toes is long gone!

Ron Bell
(mountainlaureldesigns) - F - M

Locale: USA
injinji on 02/26/2007 10:00:18 MST Print View

I suggest sizing up if you are close to the upprer suggested limit and ordering online. I wear 12.5 D's and my L (M11-13) were a bit small. I may try a XL but have a feeling the toe type socks are not for me.

The right shoes and socks for each person are so importnat; plan on trying many brands in your quest..

-Ron

Edited by mountainlaureldesigns on 02/26/2007 11:05:43 MST.

Ken Bennett
(ken_bennett) - F

Locale: southeastern usa
Re: Socks for hot weather on 02/26/2007 19:41:16 MST Print View

In summer, I wear low-cut Coolmax socks that I bought at one of the big sporting goods stores, in the running shoe area.

Einstein X
(EinsteinX) - F

Locale: The Netherlands
Re: Socks for hot weather on 02/27/2007 02:52:21 MST Print View

Jaiden,

How about a pair of sandals and no socks? Seems to me thats cooler than any shoe/sock combination. I'd recomend a leather version since that will significantly reduce the stink.

Eins

matthew hart
(jomatty) - F
have a great trip on 03/02/2007 07:38:27 MST Print View

of all the socks ive tried i like the plain old under armour wicking socks for things that i do not need cushioning or warmth. i just find that they keep my feet dry better than the other brands ive tried, even the pricier ones that i prefer for hiking when i want some padding.

i also second the vote for sandals. or get a hybrid shoe like the keen taos or boulder. you can wear them with or without socks (cured me to my aversion of socks with sandals) and you can go on water rides and to the water park without worrying about getting em wet. i love mine, not only for water type shoes, but also for hiking and even rock climbing (i have the boulder which i prefer because i like to get em wet and dont want the leather)

have a great trip, i just saw a show last night about the new animal kingdom thing they made and it looked incredible. had my son begging for a vacation to DW.

matty

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Injinji socks? on 03/02/2007 17:53:00 MST Print View

Joe and Chad-which model of Injinji socks do you use, Performance, Comfort, Outdoor, etc?

John Hopkins
(DrGonzo) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Socks for hot weather on 03/02/2007 18:01:37 MST Print View

I would try a cycling type sock with a mesh upper. My favorite sock is a Smartwool with mesh top, thin bottom, and low cut. It dosnt give much cushion, but with tennis type shoes you dont need it.

Shawn Basil
(Bearpaw) - F

Thorlo light hikers and trail runners on 03/02/2007 18:26:52 MST Print View

Thorlo's Coolmax Light Hikers have been my favorite summer socks in the hot humid terrain I know here in Tennessee. They are just a bit thicker than most other Coolmax socks I know, but they still feel cooler to me, and control moisture better than the much thinner ones such as Wigwam's Ultimax line. Their Coolmax Trail Runners are the sme thickness with a mini-crew length. Their ankle length running socks are a thinner Coolmax, but they come in white.

Benjamin Tomsky
(btomsky) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Re: Socks for hot weather on 03/02/2007 20:22:51 MST Print View

I'm a big fan of the SmartWool Ultra Light Mini-Crew Bike Socks for warm weather hiking.

I use them for for my summer thru hiking and highly recommend them...

Edited by btomsky on 03/02/2007 20:25:38 MST.

Eric Noble
(ericnoble) - MLife

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Re: Re: Socks for hot weather on 03/03/2007 10:21:36 MST Print View

Ben and John, I love those socks! I wear them every day when it's warm enough. My size large weigh 1.4 oz (40 g). Great recommendation.

Trent Hignight
(th_ignitus) - F

Locale: Tokoyo-3
Re: Socks for hot weather on 03/03/2007 12:38:47 MST Print View

My all-time favorite: Smartwool Adrenaline Lt. Mini Crew.
Done everything these, in a wide range of temps (cool to really hot). So comfortable. I always wear these with lightweight running shoes, that breathe well.

-Trent

Jaiden .
(jaiden) - F
Re: Re: Socks for hot weather on 03/03/2007 12:59:30 MST Print View

OK I ordered a few pairs of the smartwool ultra light biking mini crews. I looked at the recommended thorlos, but they didn't have a color I liked. I got a black/grey which will look OK with shorts and shoes as well as with my business casual work wear.

I should put in a word for the vendor, sockcompany.com since I've ordered from them a couple of times before, and they have EVERYTHING smartwool 15% off. They have a huge selection, and in my limited experience, good response.

thanks for the recommendations. I welcome any further comments, as I may end up trying others as well.

John Hopkins
(DrGonzo) - F

wigwam vs smartwool on 03/03/2007 19:43:04 MST Print View

Last year an outfitter employee told me that he preferred Wigwam over Smartwool becasue the quality in smartwool had gone down. I dont know the validity of this, but there may be some truth to it. I buy most of my socks as seconds at sierra trading or campmor, and I have never had a problem with them.

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
bike socks on 03/03/2007 20:12:29 MST Print View

If you were to troll around a bike website like nashbar you will find 154 socks ranging from $13.95 to $2.99 in wool, coolmax,a neoprene,polypropylene, ... most are in quarter length and there is a huge variety of patterns and colors.
Another sock I've been real pleased with is the darn tough quarter sock.

Joe Geib
(joegeib) - F

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys
Re: Re: Injinji socks? on 03/05/2007 09:24:16 MST Print View

i have the coolmax socks right now:
low
mid-calf

i use these for running, basketball, and hiking.

i also want to get the warmer, "outdoor" ones.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Socks for hot weather on 03/05/2007 10:57:38 MST Print View

A combination of Injini Toe Socks and Darn Tough 1/4 socks are my summertime favorite.

Chad Mason
(porch13) - M

Locale: Arizona
Injinji Socks on 03/05/2007 12:42:07 MST Print View

Tom - I wear the Injinji Tetratsok Mini Crew Socks, available from REI.

Levan Argvliani
(Tobuldar) - F

Locale: Georgia
Hiking socks on 10/11/2010 07:39:34 MDT Print View

I have so sad experience about hiking sock. got horrable blisters on feet this summer, since then I read reviews and post on net. right socks are so important as proper boots.