Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Sun hat
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Improvised Sun hat on 06/21/2012 02:24:16 MDT Print View

If you have a baseball cap and a bandanna, you can take a short piece of line and tie it to the corners of a bandanna and drape it over the bill of the cap so it can cover your neck and ears. Wetting it can help cool you when it is really hot. You can just put the bandanna on your head and put the cap on over it too. More space between your head and the top of the cap helps--- that is where peaked hats like a Tilley help.

For a truly dorky look, a letter carrier's plastic sun helmet works great and makes a fantastic rain hat as well. There are plastic beekeeper's helmets wit more ventilation on the sides.

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Sun hat on 06/21/2012 08:46:48 MDT Print View

Sunday Afternoon Hat design is my favorite for sure.

Bought several at flea markets in Hawaii a number of years ago for about $8 each. Friend recently looked for them there and couldn't find them.

My wife said Home Depot had a bunch of them at the end of an aisle for about $20, They were gone by the time I got there.

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
Sunday Afternoons on 06/21/2012 09:48:56 MDT Print View

Another enthusiastic vote for the SA Adventure Hat, which (as did Ray) I reviewed for BackpackGearTest.org. See http://tinyurl.com/77jeobc for some action photos.

Richard

Jeffrey Windsor
(jeffreywindsor) - F
Tilley on 06/21/2012 10:35:13 MDT Print View

I was going to say that I wouldn't be caught dead in one of those dorky SA Adventure hats, but I wear a Tilley; obviously my judgement is severely compromised.

There's nothing UL about my Tilley: it's cotton and overpriced and, frankly, kinda dorky too. But I've had it for 20 years and worn it all over and it makes me smile every time I read the dopey tag inside the crown. It's 162 grams of luxury to me.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Tilley on 06/21/2012 12:02:03 MDT Print View

The nylon Tilley hats are light. I have a nylon T3 that is just 4.1oz. I'd love to get one on the new breathable synthetic hats with a larger brim like the T5, but with prices hovering around $75 I'll remain content with what I have!

They look less dorky if you are over 50 ;)

Chris Scala
(Scalawag) - F
Tilley on 06/21/2012 12:33:30 MDT Print View

I have a Tilley, the kind with the snap-up sides (Aussie Style). I love how it looks, and how it performs in keeping rain and sun off me.

But, am I the only one that finds them unbearably hot? Mine gets SOAKED with forehead sweat almost immediately, and feels like a little rainforest is forming atop my head. Granted, I'm on the East Coast and a huge amount of my warm weather hiking is done in very humid conditions. Basically every time I wear it, I end up fiddling with it too much (taking it off to let my head air out, wiping my brow, readjusting it).

I really want to like it but compared to say, a Headsweats baseball cap, it just feels like a hot, damp washcloth on my head. Superficially though, I really like the Tilley over the ball cap, but I can forget the headsweats is even on, all day, never touching it.

Daniel Cox
(COHiker) - F

Locale: San Isabel NF
RE: Sun Hat on 06/21/2012 12:48:35 MDT Print View

I have an Outdoor Research 'Sombriolet' hat I like quite well. I got mine from, IIRC, SunnySports.com for like $25. It seems reasonably cool, though after a few Iraqi summers with a kevlar combat helmet on, everything is cool. FWIW, I wear mine doing yardwork in the 100F+ summer heat and have sometimes forgotten it's on my head.

My other go-to is a 'runners hat' with a big square of a well-worn handkerchief tucked into the sides and back like a cape. I like Dale's idea of tying some thin cord to the corners and making a loop to drape over your head. I might try that. I've done this with a merino beanie too. It looks ridiculous, but cold, wind and sun are a triple-whammy at 13K ft plus.

Check out the OR 'Sun Runner', it's basically a commercial version of the cap/cape.

Tom Caldwell
(Coldspring) - F

Locale: Ozarks
wal-mart sun hat on 06/21/2012 14:43:12 MDT Print View

It seems like Wal-Mart always has an odd assortment of cotton boonie style hats, I think they're mostly cotton.

I did see some new button-up, nylon, fishing guide shirts that would be great for hiking, except for being short sleeve. I seem to recall some hats beside them, maybe just straw hats.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Got an Eddie Bauer on 06/21/2012 16:44:33 MDT Print View

On the way to Detroit Airport earlier I stopped off in the Eddie Bauer Discount store and got a decent sun hat.

Cheers all

John Almond
(FLRider) - F

Locale: The Southeast
Visor/Bandanna on 06/23/2012 12:56:36 MDT Print View

I just switched over to my "summer" (read: "above 85 F") head gear. It's an $8 Rothco visor that weighs 2.5 oz and a cotton bandanna that weighs 1 oz. So, 3.5 oz for decent sun coverage with the best ventilation I've yet found. And it's modular, so that you can have the top of your head uncovered when you're in the shade for even better ventilation.

You look a little dorky wearing it like the Foreign Legion (hopefully, I'm not out there "...to die."), but that's not something that really bothers me.

The only thing I've found so far is that the sweatband on the visor could use a little more absorbtion factor (this could probably have been alleviated by buying a more expensive visor, but I was in an hurry for headgear). I think I might cannibalize one of my old athletic shirts for material to improve that at some point down the line.

L. T.
(Guinness1759) - F
Re: Sun hat on 06/24/2012 08:04:58 MDT Print View

I took the advice of another member a couple years ago and tried the Henschel Breezer. It can be found online for around $19.99. Before, I tried them all...ball cap, bandana, boonie. This hat has been the one for me. Mesh sides to keep cool and fairly crushable for the times I don't feel like wearing it. I treat it with some variant of Camp Dry and it works pretty good in the rain. Yes, water does come through the mesh but not as bad as one would think and much more comfortable/cooler than using the hood on my rain jacket. Just another option.....

Richard Cullip
(RichardCullip) - M

Locale: San Diego County
Re: Sun Hat on 06/24/2012 08:36:51 MDT Print View

I like my OR Sun Runner hat. Lots of good coverage from the sun.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: London, UK
Re:Outdoor Research 'Sombriolet' on 06/24/2012 14:10:32 MDT Print View

+1 on th OR Sombriolet. Normally wear a Tilley LTM6 most of the year, but when travelling during the dog days of summer out here in SW Texas the OR Sombiolet is my goto hat. Crushable and with quick drying mesh lid it is a great hat at ~70g.