Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Identifying Types of Gore-Tex? (from the roll)

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ozzz Saunders
(tctozz) - F
Identifying Types of Gore-Tex? (from the roll) on 06/19/2012 17:46:48 MDT Print View

Hi All...

New and my first post (have been a long time reader great site)

I was in a fabric store picking up some ripstop today and the guy asked if I was interested in Gore-tex (obviously). I can’t say I was too prepared or done enough research on Gore-tex to be able to identify the type (2 layer 3 layer) or if it was indeed gore-tex at all. So I grabbed a few yards to dangle with, but not knowing has got the better of me and I want to know what it is..lol

Here is what I have... if anyone would be willing to help identify it for me, I'd be quite thankful...lolGore-tex

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Identifying Types of Gore-Tex? (from the roll) on 06/19/2012 18:00:57 MDT Print View

Measurements and weight might help.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Identifying Types of Gore-Tex? (from the roll) on 06/19/2012 18:19:48 MDT Print View

I have some 2.5 layer eVent - the inside surface has sort of a grid that's maybe 1/32 inch in each direction

I have some 2 layer eVent - inside surface is uniform white color

That's probably applicable to Gore-Tex

If you had 3 layer, it would have a seperate inner fabric that's not attached

Ozzz Saunders
(tctozz) - F
Identifying Types of Gore-Tex? on 06/19/2012 18:40:50 MDT Print View

Thanks Jerry, it makes sense. It also has the tiny square pattern on the bottom and it holds water just fine so whatever it is - it works.

Sorry Eugene - not around me ole scale...

edvin mellergård
(Edvin) - F
Re: Re: Identifying Types of Gore-Tex? (from the roll) on 06/26/2012 15:00:41 MDT Print View

No, that's not correct.

2-layer is outer nylon fabric + membrane

2.5-layer is outer nylon fabric + membrane + inner protective layer

3-layer is outer nylon fabric + membrane + inner nylon layer

The clothing manufacturer adds an extra layer(most of the time some kind of net) when they sew stuff with 2-layer fabrics to protect the membrane from wear from the inside.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
WPB's on 06/26/2012 15:09:09 MDT Print View

Since Gore and eVent laminate uses a Teflon, they will be white and slippery on exposed, two layer versions. Other brand laminates/coatings often use a urethane
which is a bit more rubbery and stickier.

Goretex has become a generic name at some fabric stores, so ask if you can see the
tags.