Forum Index » Chaff » House and Techno Ultralighters

Display Avatars Sort By:
Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: Lartnec Nagihcim
House and Techno Ultralighters on 06/18/2012 18:32:18 MDT Print View

Deleted

Edited by stephenm on 08/23/2012 13:50:06 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: House and Techno Ultralighters on 06/18/2012 19:32:21 MDT Print View

Okay, I'm lost. What on earth are taking about?

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: House and Techno Ultralighters on 06/18/2012 19:52:03 MDT Print View

"What on earth are taking about?"

Somehow I don't think it is Bach's Toccatas and Fugues for the harpsichord. ;=)

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: House and Techno Ultralighters on 06/18/2012 20:05:03 MDT Print View

It's a style of Music that originated in the late 80's and early 90''s in Detroit, that came from old jazz, soul and rock.

Tim Drescher
(timdcy) - M

Locale: The Gore Range
Re: House and Techno Ultralighters on 06/18/2012 20:34:11 MDT Print View

I had always been told true house was started in Chicago... I love electronica and get made fun of often for it.

http://youtu.be/e0AD3w67_-o

Edited by timdcy on 06/18/2012 20:34:58 MDT.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
House and Techno Ultralighters on 06/18/2012 20:39:24 MDT Print View

House from Chicago, Techno made in Detroit.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: House and Techno Ultralighters on 06/18/2012 20:39:43 MDT Print View

Good man Tim :-)

Can you share some of your artists of that genre.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: House and Techno Ultralighters on 06/18/2012 20:50:42 MDT Print View

Oh ya Cameron :-)

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: House and Techno Ultralighters on 06/18/2012 20:55:57 MDT Print View

I am not just a dance and techno fan.

I am an avid listener of The Flaming Lips, the Doors, Elvis, Nirvana, old Rem and many many more :-)

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: Where the air is thin
ASBO in Indian Peaks on 06/18/2012 21:21:41 MDT Print View

Shall I bring my ipod speakers, Stephen? I have a whole bunch that could cause a breach of the peace when we're up there :-) Many years of the early Ministry of Sound Annuals, some Global Underground, Cream compilations, Sasha and DIgweed, as well as chillout sessions.

Or I could bring along Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Herbie Hancock, and some other greats.

Edited by lotuseater on 06/18/2012 21:23:35 MDT.

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
Re: House and Techno Ultralighters on 06/18/2012 22:52:50 MDT Print View

Listening to electronic dance music and associated generes on the trail creates positive lasting memories of a time or place for me. Maya Jane Coles's Essential Mix helped me pick up the pace on the JMT last summer. Essential Mixes are about the only way I can keep up with new artists since I seem to have stopped going to shows and now spend my time and money backpacking. If I had to load up my mp3 player for a trip tomorrow I might include electronic artists such as: Gabriel and Dresden, Deep Dish, Sasha and Digweed, Above and Beyond, and Maceo Plex and the Chemical Brothers.

I need variety so there would definitely been some jazz, 90's rock, indie and 80's new wave and some Theivery Corporation if I'm hiking with Jay W.

Edited by Davidpcvsamoa on 06/18/2012 22:54:39 MDT.

Tim Drescher
(timdcy) - M

Locale: The Gore Range
Re: Re: Re: House and Techno Ultralighters on 06/19/2012 06:28:29 MDT Print View

Some of my favorites of the genre are Bassnectar (incredible live shows), Wolfgang Gartner, Deadmau5, Dada Life, DallasK, Purity Ring, Mord Fustang, Modeselektor, Bag Raiders...

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Music on 06/19/2012 08:08:05 MDT Print View

Get to see Bassnectar again next month in Louisville @ Forecastle. Also Zion I, A-Trak, etc. Mostly an alternative fan though. I love Animal Collective, Atlas Sound, LCD Soundsystem when I can listen to it without annoying my friends and family with it.

Thomas Vree
(Exploriment) - F

Locale: Niagara Escarpment
Tech-House on 06/19/2012 15:13:51 MDT Print View

Hell yeah.

Upon hearing Kraftwerk when I was about 7 years old, life was never to be the same again. All the years of listening to electronic music, industrial music, segued nicely into house and techno. Spent quite a few years involved in the whole rave scene in Toronto and Montreal in the early/mid 90s.

Love music of all sorts, but electronic music seems to always rise to the top.

Lusine, Bluetech, Tipper, Phaeleh, Adham Shaikh, Intense, Speedy J, Rockers HiFi, Lackluster, Aes Dana, Shen, Plej, Fila Brazilia, Amon Tobin, Pépé Bradock, Ill Gates, 4 Hero, Global Communication, Sven Van hees, Aphex Twin, LTJ Bukem, PFM, Boards of Canada, Carbon Based Lifeforms, Terry Lee Brown Jr., Steve Roach, Ochre, Hard Floor, Hatthew Herbert, Legion of Green Men, Hallucinogen, Bonobo, Joey Fehrenbach, Motionfield, Ohm G, Smith & Mighty, Dubtribe, Ed Rush, Nico, Fierce, Optical, Biosphere, Irresistible Force, Kick Bong, Paperclip People....so many others.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Music on 06/19/2012 17:51:42 MDT Print View

All great choices folks,

I do miss good Dance clubs (and the buddies to go with).
I have a much prized collection of about 5 years worth of Essential Mixes and they are class.

I have seen quiet a lot of big name Dj's in my home town of Cork, Ireland but as I now live 2 hours from Detroit I plan to see many more :-)

@Stuart, bring on ASBO mate ;-) No Chavs allowed though.

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: Where the air is thin
Re: ASBO on 06/19/2012 18:51:28 MDT Print View

Bring your hoodie :-) Leave your Burberry at home.

Edited by lotuseater on 06/19/2012 18:52:35 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: ASBO on 06/19/2012 18:54:11 MDT Print View

I will pack my Joe Bloggs jeans also ;-)

Craig Savage
(tremelo) - F

Locale: San Jacinto Mountains
electronica on 06/20/2012 06:54:30 MDT Print View

the haxan cloak

Bear In Heaven - Sinful Nature

UNKLE - The Answer (trentemoller)

Sandwell District - Falling the Same Way

Andy Stott - North to South

Prefuse 73 & FlyLo found Jackson & His Computer Band getting Pocahaunted with Cassius... no worries though, Mr. Gnome will destroy those LA Vampires by the light of the moon dancing on the White Sea. BTW - if modes

and when the caring just stops, strap on the cans and give a fvck

kyoka - HADue

Steven Hanlon
(asciibaron) - F

Locale: Mid Atlantic
rave dj/producer on 06/20/2012 11:22:03 MDT Print View

i was a rave dj back in the day and i still produce electronic music.

Acid drum and bass

Dub ambient trance

Edited by asciibaron on 06/20/2012 17:43:33 MDT.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
house/techno. on 06/20/2012 12:19:39 MDT Print View

It's about time we compete with the punks and the bluegrassers.

I'm down with lots of electronic music, from late 70s experimentation to people pushing the envelope today. Too much good stuff to list, from Kraftwerk to trip hop to (good) prog house and deep house, to quality techno, ambient, and a thousand other sub-genres. Last 20 years has seen a ton of good music.

Too many artists to list out, but the current queue is on the glitch/future bass/west coast/whatever tip. An-ten-nae, ill.gates, Opiou, Pretty Lights, Glitch Mob (though not recent stuff) and side projects, Emancipator, Robot Koch, Modeselektor, Pumpkin, Nalepa, Random Rab, Dr. Toast, and billion more. Recent Bassnectar is verging on non-listenable to me, but love the older stuff and the live shows are (almost always) great.

Nothing better than some headphones/good electronic music up above timberline with some scotch!

(Also, Thomas Vree... what a list! So much good stuff in there.)

Edited by DaveT on 06/20/2012 15:52:59 MDT.