Forum Index » GEAR » Rocky Terrain + Tent stakes

Display Avatars Sort By:
rich y
(gkine) - F

Locale: NorCal
Rocky Terrain + Tent stakes on 06/14/2012 21:38:14 MDT Print View

I recently bought a Shangri-la 1 tent from a member on this forum. I'm going to be doing the High Sierras in about 2 months and a lot of the terrain is rocky. I'll try my best to find sites to use stakes at, but for places where I can't are there any tips other than sandwiching stakes between rocks?

ben wood
(benwood)

Locale: flatlands of MO
Re: Rocky Terrain + Tent stakes on 06/14/2012 21:40:23 MDT Print View

find big rocks and tie your guylines directly to the rocks. plus they are easy to move around.

Daniel Cox
(COHiker) - F

Locale: San Isabel NF
Re: Rocky Terrain + Tent stakes on 06/14/2012 21:49:40 MDT Print View

Put the guyline around the middle of the stake, lay the stake sideways on the ground perpendicular to the line and put 1 or 2 rocks on top of/in front of the stake.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Re: Rocky Terrain + Tent stakes on 06/14/2012 22:47:42 MDT Print View

Carry 2 titanium nail stakes. They make great starter holes for your other pegs in hard packed and/or rocky ground. I always carry them in the Sierra and Rocky Mtns

If you still can't get your regular pegs in, use the titanium nail stake instead.

If those won't go in, use rocks and/or nearby brush.

If those won't do it, you're camping in the wrong spot. Move on!

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Rocky Terrain + Tent stakes on 06/14/2012 23:11:09 MDT Print View

Rocks can be your friend. So can shorter stakes. Get those short stakes into the ground and stack lots of rocks on them. I don't see any reason for long stakes there. Or just tie off to sticks or rocks, and then stack lots of rocks on them. Please take apart fire rings and use those rocks for stacking on your stakes.