Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Backpack Gourmet

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
Backpack Gourmet: The mysterious Hawk Vittles connection on 06/13/2012 19:21:32 MDT Print View

I downloaded this free ebook a while ago, based on this thread:

Backpack Gourmet

Finally got around to reading it and was surprised to find that it appeared to be a major source of inspiration for hawk vittles or vise versa. Recipes for just about all of his commercially available meals can be found in this book under identical names.

edit- fixed link

Edited by Ike on 06/14/2012 08:34:05 MDT.

Chris Lacey
(Staplebox) - F
link on 06/13/2012 19:50:16 MDT Print View

Want to read but link doesn't work - is the book free there?

Edited by Staplebox on 06/13/2012 19:51:24 MDT.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Backpack Gourmet on 06/13/2012 22:01:13 MDT Print View

Her book came out in 2002......

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
re: on 06/14/2012 07:36:41 MDT Print View

I did notice that, but there must be some connection between the two. The book literally reads like the Hawk Vittles menu, with the same eclectic recipes (Packers potatoes, Sierra spaghetti, Cowboy pasta, North African Stew, Shrimp Whimsy). Even the whimsical names are the same (eg. Some like it hot bean spread).

Interesting that neither acknowledges the other. If you like a particular Hawk Vittles meal, I guarantee you will find the recipe in this book.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: re: on 06/14/2012 14:45:06 MDT Print View

Darn it...I wish my trail cooking library wasn't in storage right now!!!! (Although I swear my husband did the free Kindle download...come to think of it).
http://blog.trailcooking.com/trail-library/ Yeah, I have oodles of books ;-) I love reading them and catching similarities.