Jetboil warranty won't return my cup!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Benjamin Kelley
(Benjamin.Kelley) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
melty melt on 06/14/2012 14:25:05 MDT Print View

I had a decent experience with getting mine replaced.
But melting fins seems to be a pretty bad problem for them on this model.
Here is the blog post about the multiple failures I had and the return process of my Jetboil Sol Ti.

http://blog.bloatedgoat.org/?p=33

Scott Higashi
(SHigSpeed) - F
Re: melty melt on 06/14/2012 15:02:03 MDT Print View

I had read your blog post while researching my issue. Glad you got your replacement!

_SHig

Devon Cloud
(devoncloud)

Locale: Southwest
first step is a letter of intent to sue via a certified letter on 06/14/2012 15:07:51 MDT Print View

If you really want this to be done, let them know via certified mail of your intent to sue them in small claims court for taking your property from you with no remedy. You have to give them a viable time frame in the letter... so give them 2 weeks to comply (or look up how long you should give them according to your small claims court) Also inform them that you will move to have your case held in the small claims court in your county (as is your right). The cost of sending the attorney to your county to fight over the cup will be enough to set them straight. If not, spend the money to file it and spend their money for them. It may cost you a couple hundred to file but they will have to pay you that back if they lose.

Chad Poindexter
(Stick) - F

Locale: Wet & Humid Southeast....
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: theft it is on 06/14/2012 16:08:49 MDT Print View

Wow...it sure enough was removed because I had posted on it...

My Jetboil still works fine, as far as I know, but I don't ever use it other than to loan it out. They sure do seem awfully sketchy about all of this melting fins stuff though...

Chris Lacey
(Staplebox) - F
small claims on 06/14/2012 19:51:34 MDT Print View

If I couldn't get a normal resolution from Jet Boil I'd go through small claims just to make myself feel better.

Here (CT) a small claims case costs $75 to file and if you win - that fee (plus and fees to serve notices etc) is added on the award. No way they'd show up.

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: 40°N,-105°W-ish
Corporate thuggery on 06/14/2012 20:30:26 MDT Print View

Check out John Abela's post on the Censorship at BPL thread for insights into Jetboil's behaviour. If indeed they pressured BPL to delete a whole thread and extract personal information in violation of the site's privacy policy, then they deserve the kind of PR that's coming their way. I for one will never buy a product from them.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=64777&skip_to_post=557667#557667

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
X2 or what ever on 06/14/2012 22:22:42 MDT Print View

They have stolen from you. They owe you, not the other way around.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Adding post to: "Jetboil warranty won't return my cup! on 06/16/2012 11:56:56 MDT Print View

Cameron's post @ Facebook removed.

Richard Fischel
(RICKO) - F
i see the sales of msr reactors going up on 06/16/2012 12:06:06 MDT Print View

in direct proportion to the sales of jetboils going down for as long as threads like this remain active.

Roger B
(rogerb) - MLife

Locale: Here and there
Re: Re: Adding post to: "Jetboil warranty won't return my cup! on 06/16/2012 12:07:52 MDT Print View

there is always twitter @Jetboil

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: i see the sales of msr reactors going up on 06/16/2012 12:14:00 MDT Print View

Or sale of the Aluminum version of the Sol goes up. Or we all forget this nonsense and use alcohol stoves....

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
no more jetboilers on 06/16/2012 13:34:56 MDT Print View

after seeing this thread and what happened to john on the other ... i will no longer recommend the jetboil ... im a big fan of the product and will keep using mine

but i will no longer recommend em to anyone else ... the product can be great, but if the company is trying to censor people for simply using a product instead of proactively addressing the issue in a positive manner ... then there aint any real point

however im sure PBLers wil forget about it in a month or so and go back to recommending the company ... as evidenced by the short memory on POE and Montbell issues ....

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: Re: i see the sales of msr reactors going up on 06/16/2012 13:56:58 MDT Print View

Or buy from MSR.

Chad Poindexter
(Stick) - F

Re: no more jetboilers on 06/16/2012 17:56:04 MDT Print View

I agree with Eric...but then again, due to my love of alcohol or Esbit stoves (I am not a huge fan of canister stoves) my opinion may also be a bit biased... :)

I do remember the POE thread...that kind of thing doesn't just go away, at least it hasn't for me... the same as this issue with Jetboil. And to be honest, it is not the fact that these stoves may actually be a problem, but the fact that Jetboil is being so dang shady about the whole thing. I can live with something that may not work, if I know the company will actually do something about it, one way or another rather than just cover it up like it was never there and trying to make us all believe we are going crazy... or worse, treating their customers like crap that come forth with the faulty product.

As for the MB thread...I musta missed that one... but I wonder if it had anything to do with the stretchy sleeping bags... ?

All I can say is I have been happy with their jackets...

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
deleted on 06/16/2012 18:08:38 MDT Print View

deleted

Edited by kthompson on 06/18/2012 22:33:13 MDT.

Chad Poindexter
(Stick) - F

Re: Re: Adding post to: "Jetboil warranty won't return my cup! on 06/16/2012 19:27:28 MDT Print View

Any bets on how long it will last before they take it down? :)

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Re: Re: Adding post to: "Jetboil warranty won't return my cup! on 06/16/2012 19:33:02 MDT Print View

My guess was 5sec, was I wrong?

Mark S
(gixer) - F
Another one bites the dust on 06/17/2012 03:35:05 MDT Print View

Welcome to the club

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d43/cbr6fs/IMAG0264.jpg

I tried cooking a tin of very sloppy baked beans in mine, Jetboil refused to accept it back under warranty.

First and last time i buy anything Jetboil, also have a fair few mates that are outdoor enthusiasts so i've spread the word around.

Absolutely disgusting and poor customer service.

Cheers
Mark

Edited by gixer on 06/17/2012 03:38:06 MDT.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: Another one bites the dust on 06/17/2012 03:51:50 MDT Print View

Supposedly REI members have a vote in how things are operated, right? If you feel strongly enough, let REI know that you don't want them to continue selling Jetboil products.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Adding post to: "Jetboil warranty won't return my cup! on 06/18/2012 09:37:43 MDT Print View

Yeah Tim, you were wrong. It took about 9 hours but it has vanished....