Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Lightweight First Aid
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Combat Gauze, Celox, super glue, and snake bites on 06/16/2013 09:54:35 MDT Print View

I find Steri-Strips to be better than butterfly bandages.

Snake bite. Leave the wound alone(cutting wise) and seek medical attention. Watch Venom ER reruns. Leave snakes alone. Don't put your hands and feet where you can't see them.

30 years hiking, never an issue with a snake. Lot and lots of snakes around.

steven franchuk
(Surf) - M
Re: Re: Combat Gauze, Celox, super glue, and snake bites on 06/16/2013 15:40:03 MDT Print View

"seek medical attention."

Some rattle snakes such as the Mojave Green have a potent neurotoxin that can kill within hours. Even if the snake doesn't have the neurotoxin in its venom you could easily have a leathal reaction to it. If you are bitten and you are 20 miles from the nearest road you could be dead long before you can reach the nearest road or help. Also it would likely take too long before someone responnds to PLB.

Seek medical attention only works when the nearest phone or road is only an hour away.

Leave snakes alone. Don't put your hands and feet where you can't see them.

Some trails have a lot of brush along side. You could put your foot down within inches of a snake and never see it under the brush. The one time I did get buzzed by one the snake was 4 feet away and he was almost impossible to see on the sand in Joshua tree NP. they blend into the soil very easily. I have seen at least 6 over the years. Also most of the time they don't make the rattle sound. Over the years People have killed most of the rattle snakes they have heard. As a result there is now now a genetic bias for not making the rattle sound.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Combat Gauze, Celox, super glue, and snake bites on 06/16/2013 18:45:33 MDT Print View

20+ years of hiking in the deserts of SoCal. Never bitten or stung. If you time is up it's up. What are you going to do without antivenin? Die maybe.

I've seen dozens of snakes out there. Those Mojave Greens too. Good looking snake.

Snake kits are a dumb idea. A sucker and a razor blade. PLease, be my guest and carve your bitten self or friend up if you think it will really help.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Combat Gauze, Celox, super glue, and snake bites on 06/16/2013 18:49:23 MDT Print View

Most healthy adults are not going to die from a rattlesnake bite -- green Mohave excepted.

Tanner M
(Tan68)
Re: Lightweight First Aid - gloves on 07/11/2013 23:59:51 MDT Print View

I may have missed it but I didn't see any mention of gloves.

I don't think they are necessary if you are treating people you don't mind swapping body fluids with. For people other than that (even friends) it can be a good idea to carry gloves to prevent blood from getting into any cuts/scratches or etc on the first aid providers hands.

Nothing to be embarrassed or self-conscious about. It isn't rude. If you feel uncomfortable, tell them you are keeping the wound clean.

Bloody odds and ends can be put in some other plastic of some sort that is probably in someone's pack or burned if not plastic. Prb best to just put it in a bag. It may be a bit much to carry a labeled bio-hazard bag... That's bound to make the injured person feel unwelcome.

Nitrile gloves are pretty sturdy things. Latex, of course. Some people may have thoughts about the type of glove. Subway sandwich shop gloves might be better than nothing but not really the proper thing, I think.

Edited by Tan68 on 07/12/2013 00:05:54 MDT.