Forum Index » Pre-Trip Planning » Trinity Alps June 2012

Display Avatars Sort By:
Matt Witt
(mattwitt) - F
Trinity Alps June 2012 on 06/12/2012 12:55:44 MDT Print View

Anybody been backpacking in Trinity Alps recently (June or May 2012) and have reports on routes where trail and camp sites aren't covered in snow? Thanks.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Trinity Alps June 2012 on 06/12/2012 14:27:33 MDT Print View

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5154861.pdf

June 7th trail condition report.

Matt Witt
(mattwitt) - F
Re: Re: Trinity Alps June 2012 on 06/13/2012 12:20:43 MDT Print View

Thanks. The ranger in the Trinity Alps does his best but as he describes in that document, there is hardly any staff to cover one of the largest wilderness areas in the country. So anyone else's recent trip experiences are welcome too.

Chris C
(cvcass) - MLife

Locale: State of Jefferson
wilderness report on 06/13/2012 12:47:44 MDT Print View

It would be best to see which trailheads were updated and plan on visiting those.

I did an overnight trip up Canyon Creek mid May and found the trail clear almost all the way to the meadow below Canyon Creek lakes, it wasn't impassable just inconvenient.

The predictions for snow are usually very accurate even without getting a look at the trails firsthand.

I say go for it and have an adventure!

Matt Witt
(mattwitt) - F
Re: wilderness report on 06/13/2012 12:53:32 MDT Print View

Thanks. I know Canyon Creek is beautiful.

Paul Schwerdt
(flexabull) - F

Trinity Alps on 06/13/2012 14:24:40 MDT Print View

Went a little ways up Bear Basin a couple of weeks ago, didn't run into much snow at all. It's been warm here too, so I would think that most areas except the really high north facing spots should be mostly snow free. Where were you thinking of going?

Matt Witt
(mattwitt) - F
Re: Trinity Alps on 06/13/2012 15:43:34 MDT Print View

Long Canyon, four lakes loop

nathan matthews
(nathanm) - F

Locale: Bay Area
Trinity: mirror lake to "L" lake on 06/14/2012 14:32:34 MDT Print View

Thanks for the link to the USFS conditions report. I had been assuming that we'd have an early melt so that next week I'd be able to hike the pass between Mirror Lake (near Sapphire Lake) and L lake (near Canyon Creek Lakes). Anybody been to Mirror Lake to see the north side of this pass? Just based on the USFS report and direction/angle involved, I'm thinking that I'll postpone this hike.

--Nathan

Matt Witt
(mattwitt) - F
Re: Trinity: mirror lake to "L" lake on 06/14/2012 14:39:13 MDT Print View

I have not been to Mirror Lake this year but was there in a previous year. It is beautiful, and I did see two guys go up over as you describe. But it's quite steep -- most people would consider it more challenging than your typical trail hiking. So if it were covered with snow you would really need to be prepared for that both in terms of experience and gear.

Matt Witt
(mattwitt) - F
Re: Trinity: mirror lake to "L" lake on 06/14/2012 15:06:06 MDT Print View

Another consideration: standing at Mirror Lake looking up at the ridge, there is no worn or marked route and so you really need to be able to see where you think you should go, which obviously would be difficult if it's got a lot of snow on it.

nathan matthews
(nathanm) - F

Re: Re: Trinity: mirror lake to "L" lake on 06/14/2012 15:53:41 MDT Print View

Matt--

Thanks. I've been there before, and I'm not worried about my ability to do it without snow, but I'm not sure I need the added layer of difficulty.

Paul Schwerdt
(flexabull) - F

Re: Re: Trinity Alps on 06/15/2012 09:47:14 MDT Print View

I think there will still be a decent amount of snow at the 4 lakes, just spoke to someone that went up near the Sawtooth Ridge earlier this week and said the snow was still fairly thick up there. It has been really warm though, so I'd expect the last packs of snow to be gone fairly soon.

Matt Witt
(mattwitt) - F
Re: Re: Re: Trinity Alps on 06/15/2012 11:24:20 MDT Print View

Thanks.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife

Locale: www.hikelighter.com
Re: Trinity Alps June 2012 on 06/19/2012 15:27:33 MDT Print View

I was just talking with some guys that were up there last weekend and they said a cold front moved in on them and froze over the lakes during the night. These are guys who go up there a lot and they bailed out in the morning, said it needs a few more weeks.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Trinity Alps June 2012 on 06/19/2012 15:54:44 MDT Print View

I was up there this past weekend. No snow at Emerald Lake but snow & ice was around Sapphire Lake. It was very warm in Morris Meadows.

Matt Witt
(mattwitt) - F
Re: Trinity Alps June 2012 on 06/19/2012 17:11:29 MDT Print View

Thanks for the up to date info and to everyone who responded...

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

"Trinity Alps June 2012" on 06/19/2012 17:44:18 MDT Print View

Morris Meadow and the lakes above are really cool places. Especially early in the season before the grass turns and too many packers show up.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Trinity Alps June 2012 on 06/19/2012 17:53:59 MDT Print View

Last June Emerald Lake "Big Snow Year" At the TH this weekend it said that the snow was 200% above average. There was little are no snow,ice at Emerald Lake but there was ice & snow at Sapphire lake.

Edited by Creachen on 06/19/2012 17:54:57 MDT.

Matt Witt
(mattwitt) - F
Re: Trinity Alps June 2012 on 06/19/2012 22:32:55 MDT Print View

Jay, I'm curious whether there were mosquitoes around Morris Meadows? Or generally on that route?

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Trinity Alps June 2012 on 06/19/2012 22:45:54 MDT Print View

There were mosquitoes in Morris Meadows and along the trail in various spots. It was windy at times which helped out. I brought the usual head-net and DEET but still got bit a lot. I swam in the Stuart Fork Creek and at Emerald Lake-super fun and got bit by those blood sucking worthless little f-ing bugs! The only down side of the entire trip...Enjoy your hike!

Jay