Forum Index » GEAR » To quilt or not to quilt?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Seth R
(Lerxst) - F

Locale: Northeast
Check on 06/14/2012 04:16:43 MDT Print View

Thanks Dan. I'll give it a whirl next week.

It was so nice to be able to turn over on my pad. If I continue to have good results I may ditch my WM Megalite and get a heavier quilt for shoulder season.

Edited by Lerxst on 06/14/2012 04:22:09 MDT.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: New quilter question on 06/14/2012 06:59:02 MDT Print View

Seth,

+1 to Dan's technique - I find it warmer and easier.

Todd

Elliott Wolin
(ewolin) - MLife

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia
RE: To quilt or not to quilt on 06/14/2012 11:29:14 MDT Print View

I toss and turn all night and I agree about quilt width. But I've also found that "draft stoppers," a la Ray Jardine, work well. You can cut down on the quilt width somewhat by adding an ounce or so of single-thickness fabric around the edge to cut down on drafts. I think the tradeoff between a narrower quilt and adding the fabric works.

Hamish McHamish
(El_Canyon) - M

Locale: USA
quilt hood on 07/03/2012 21:23:13 MDT Print View

Roger said:

>I have a really good photo ... somewhere... of Sue under her quilt with just a little of her >face showing out the side. Her hood was right over her head, but NOT over her face. Eyes and >nose and mouth showing, but not much else!

Roger is there any way you can show a diagram or photo of that type of quilt laid flat? I need just that sort of arrangement and it would be helpful to see an example.

Edit: whoops, just found Roger's 2009 article on this very thing; sorry.

Edited by El_Canyon on 07/03/2012 22:17:56 MDT.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: RE: To quilt or not to quilt on 07/03/2012 21:54:06 MDT Print View

Elliott,

I've doen something similar to what you describe. I'v added a full bottom to the quilt using a single layer of uncoated nylon. I've done this for both a single and a double quilt.

This really cuts down on drafts and gives me a lot of range, temperature wise. I can, for example, roll the quilt a bit so part of me is under single layer nylon and part of me is under down. If I want to tighten things up I can bunch up the single layer nylon under me using my hands or feet.

With the current availability of lightweight nylon a bottom like I'm describing could be added to any single person quilt for something like an ounce of added weight. Well worth it in my opinion.

Daryl

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: Quilts on 07/03/2012 22:02:55 MDT Print View

Dan,

"I find width at the hips to be just as important as at the shoulders."

I agree. Both my brother and I have elbows that stick out at as widely as our shoulders. I think it is because we have wide lats and that sends the arms outward rather than allowing them to hang close to our bodies. We are NOT the ones you want to sit next to in tight airline seats.

So I like your suggestions on the shoulder, hip, foot specs.

Daryl

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: Re: To quilt or not to quilt? on 07/03/2012 22:15:05 MDT Print View

Roger,

"Hint: buying a hoodless quilt, or one so short it cannot cover your head, is equally silly. Your head is the most critical bit of you."

I agree. I'd rather have my head covered and let my feet hang out if the quilt is too short. I could put the stocking cap(or thick socks) on my feet if they were cold. My feet are typically too hot anyway.

Daryl

Brandon Sanchez
(dharmabumpkin) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Mtns
CHECK THIS OUT on 07/03/2012 23:27:47 MDT Print View

If you want a hood, and are concerned with moving around, this may be the "quilt" for you:

http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/sleep-systems/insulation/haven/product

I dont own it, but it looks interesting. I am not sure why but I have never seen anyone try this bag.

EDIT: video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oBPPSXY2Fk

Edited by dharmabumpkin on 07/03/2012 23:32:36 MDT.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: CHECK THIS OUT on 07/04/2012 09:05:12 MDT Print View

Here is the BPL review from 2010 for the Haven, it received an above average rating

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/therm-a-rest_haven_down_top_sleeping_bag.html

Edited by annapurna on 07/04/2012 09:05:51 MDT.