Has anyone used the Gram Weenie Pro?
Display Avatars Sort By:
rich y
(gkine) - F

Locale: NorCal
Has anyone used the Gram Weenie Pro? on 06/11/2012 14:30:35 MDT Print View

I was set on the Gram Weenie Pro as my stove purchase, but I recently made a soda alcohol stove and it pretty much underperformed what I've seen on youtube and it made me rethink alcohol stoves. Add wind and temperature to that and it's looking less than ideal. Having used a Jetboil in the past spoiled me a little. Can anyone attest to the Gram Weenie Pro's performance?

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Has anyone used the Gram Weenie Pro? on 06/11/2012 14:40:17 MDT Print View

I have one.

If you use isopropyl alcohol, a wick is a good idea as it's more difficult to get the stove started. Ethanol is easy though. It works great without wind. I haven't had wind blow my stove out. Keep in mind that it's a narrow stove, so it's especially important to find a flat firm spot to set it up. In rough testing, I found that 70% isopropyl was nearly twice as efficient as ethanol, and a little more efficient that 99% isopropyl. I think that's because it burns more slowly. It actually gets flames under my small pot. I had time to boil a second pot. Ethanol burns hard, and the flames go out much further. If there's any ethanol left when I attempt to boil a second pot, it quickly burned off when I removed the pot to refill it. Isopropanol does create a lot of soot with this stove though.

Jason Cravens
(packpack)

Locale: Cumberland Plateau
gram on 06/11/2012 15:13:18 MDT Print View

I have used one for about 8 months now. I have the Heinie Pot and it fits perfectly. I have also used a REI Ti pot with good success. It has never failed me, but had some issues during high winds. One night at about 10* F I had to use the wind screen and my sit pad to block the wind for it to work. I would think under normal conditions, its great.

I made a youtube video of me using it the first day i received it. See below, and BTW, this is my first and only video I have made. I think I sound crazy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tbboKL4Q48&feature=plcp

Art Tyszka
(arttyszka) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Wroks well on 06/12/2012 06:53:08 MDT Print View

I have the GWP and it works very well in the conditions I've used it, down to ~40F. Wind is the enemy for sure, the included windscreen works well, but in really windy conditions I've had to find a more protected spot. It'll boil 2 cups of water with 1 oz of denatured alcohol no problem. But if you're used to a JetBoil, I'd suggest a day hike or two using the GWP (or any alcohol stove) before you rely on it. Any alcohol stove is more finicky than a JetBoil or similar canister stove.

Edited by arttyszka on 06/12/2012 06:55:02 MDT.

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
JetBoil to Alcohol Stove Transition on 06/12/2012 07:49:11 MDT Print View

I too found it hard to move from the speed and convenience of the JetBoil to an alcohol stove, but the weight savings made it worth it. I went with the Caldera Cone setup and was amazed at how well it worked. I've never used it in really windy conditions but it might be an option for you to consider.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Has anyone used the Gram Weenie Pro? on 06/12/2012 08:46:02 MDT Print View

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews?forum_thread_id=29334&cat=Stoves%20-%20Alcohol&cid=18

kevin smith
(divr6347) - M
gram weenie pro on 06/12/2012 10:01:58 MDT Print View

if you want a gram weenie pro

E MAIL ME !! and ill send it to you with the priming pan

can t get a better deal than that i have a spare /backup you can have

pif of course

rcfan37@aol.com

kevin