Forum Index » Pre-Trip Planning » JMT/PCT: Reds Meadows

Display Avatars Sort By:
Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Locale: USA
JMT/PCT: Reds Meadows on 06/11/2012 03:45:12 MDT Print View

Does anybody know when Reds Meadows will reopen? I've been reading journals and trail reports that say it's closed due to downed trees that are still being cleared in the area.

Thanks!

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: JMT/PCT: Reds Meadows on 06/11/2012 06:40:51 MDT Print View

It may effectively be one and the same, but do you mean the campground, the pack station, the general area by road or bus? In any case, the Mammoth Lakes visitors center is where I'd call. One thing I'll say is that don't count on the showers or the hot spring unless there's been some welcome developments since last summer.

Brent Mahan
(thenerb)

Locale: Southern New Hampshire
Opening date on 06/11/2012 09:46:34 MDT Print View

I have been speaking with Shawn at the pack station and he said they will be open June 22. This includes the general store.

Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Re: Opening date on 06/11/2012 20:00:26 MDT Print View

Brent,

Thank! Just what I was looking for. I'm doing JMT in August and Red's is one of my planned resupply stops. I was hoping to get everything I need at the store rather than sending a package.

Susan

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: Opening date on 06/11/2012 22:04:31 MDT Print View

the couple of times I've been in that store I don't recall it being particularly well stocked, but I guess it depends on what you're willing to eat.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: Opening date on 06/11/2012 22:16:05 MDT Print View

The store had a decent selection last summer, but leave yourself some time in your schedule in case you have to take the bus into town.

Katy Anderson
(KatyAnderson) - F
resupply at store on 06/12/2012 10:07:08 MDT Print View

I've resupplied from the store once or twice. They have stove fuel, oatmeal, freeze dried, power bars, crackers, candy and the like. Not a lot of variety and choices, but enough to get by for a few days. And the thing is you probably only need a few days of supplies, because along the JMT, Tuolomne is three days north and VVR or MTR about three days south.

Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Re: resupply at store on 06/12/2012 18:28:30 MDT Print View

Art, Eugene, Katy,

Thank you! Again, just the info I need.

I'm hiking SOBO and plan on resupply stops at Tuleome, Red's and either VVR or MTR. I was hoping to avoid sending a resupply box from home given the expense, etc. But based on input here, and on my other thread, it looks like I'll need to send a box. I'm leaning towards MTR since it's closer to the trail, but who knows , if I have plenty of time, I may visit VVR as well, if for no other reason, a cold beer!

Again, mahalo nui loa for kind advice,

Susan

Edited by veganaloha on 06/12/2012 18:29:40 MDT.