Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Any recommendations on a 3-5 night trip with a 6 and 8 yr old (southwest)
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jj Mac
(JjMac) - F
Any recommendations on a 3-5 night trip with a 6 and 8 yr old (southwest) on 06/10/2012 20:26:52 MDT Print View

Hello.
First post. It's been at least ten years since I have done a multi night hike. I now have 2 girls ages 8 and 10 and would like to take them on a trip. We live near tucson and are willing to drive 5-8 hours in order to get somewhat out of the desert and do a 3-5 day overnight hike.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you.

'Mac

Steve Meier
(smeier) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Seek out water! on 06/11/2012 16:34:10 MDT Print View

I don't have any specific recommendations on locations or trails but some general advice as the father of five that has been taking them out for years--be sure to end each day by some kind of body of water. They will walk in it, splash in it, turn over rocks and discover creatures and be completely content while you set up camp, cook dinner and recover from a day of pushing them along. You can thank me later. And oh yeah, you will build the best memories of your life!

Steven Thompson
(stevet) - M

Locale: Northeast
Re: Any recommendations on a 3-5 night trip with a 6 and 8 yr old (southwest) on 06/15/2012 22:47:48 MDT Print View

Stay near home. Saguaro National Park, Reddington Pass to Manning Camp to Miller Creek. Good for 3-4 days.

Or the Chiricahuas, Rustler Park to Anita Park. Basecamp and dayhike to a few of the stunning overlooks.

Or if insist on driving, Durango. Take the train to Needleton, hike into Chicago Basin, basecamp and bag a couple 14'ers.

Listed in order of increasing difficulty. I don't know how capable your girls are as backpackers, but if they are active, involved for example in youth soccer, these should all be within reach.