Forum Index » Chaff » half marathons

Display Avatars Sort By:
Brad Fisher
(wufpackfn) - M

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains
Re: half crazy on 06/18/2012 11:05:07 MDT Print View

Laurie,

You have a great understanding of your nutrition and water intake. Just keep what you are doing.

+1 on Art's suggestion. Work on getting the mileage. Run slower, walk/run part of it, etc. Just try to build your miles. If you have a bad work out or week don't worry just stay on your plan.

Good luck and I know you will have a great race.

Brad

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
thanks on 06/20/2012 06:44:56 MDT Print View

Thanks again guys... I'll keep you posted as to my progress.

Here's the race I'm running in October. My 11 year old picked it out. It's a nice 10K trail run with a couple hills... and all done at night with headlamps. Should be fun.

Trek or Treat

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: thanks on 06/20/2012 06:54:32 MDT Print View

Since this is a trail run, figure out how to mount your headlamp at waist level. If it is attached to you head, you won't see the rocks or the dips in the trail. Stumbles are guaranteed.

For directional lighting find a small flashlight that will fit in your hand and can be held in place with a MYOG strap or loose shockcord (similar to a water bottle holder).

Edited by greg23 on 06/20/2012 06:57:43 MDT.

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Re: Re: thanks on 06/20/2012 06:58:22 MDT Print View

Thanks Greg... I hadn't even considered the lighting beyond a headlamp. I don't hike in the dark so I don't have much experience there.

I wear something called a SPIBelt to hold my glucose meter and gel/blocks at my waist. Along with my headlamp I'll try and put something at my waist. I also have a water bottle (FuelBelt handheld) that is on a strap so maybe I could put something there. I'll have to play around with it.

Actually I just watched this report (the 5 & 10 K race info is partway through). It mentions that it is gravel path for much of it and two steep hills. That's not too bad. I know the last trail run I did would have been deadly in the dark.

Saucony Trek or Treat - now I see why my kid wants to do this one... lol.

Edited by Laurie_Ann on 06/20/2012 07:03:36 MDT.

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

half marathons on 10/24/2013 16:13:11 MDT Print View

So... I went a little AWOL... but I did it, I ran a half marathon this May. I finished upright and smiling. It wasn't particularly fast but I had great fun. Here's the race report for any of you that are interested...

me… running a half marathon… go figure

Mississauga 2013

The Last Push

The week after I ran a trail relay in some pretty nasty weather...

tread revisited

I just finished Run for the Toad, a 50K Ultra. I didn't run the full 50K but instead was part of a relay team. In 2014 I will be running the 25K distance at the Sulphur Springs Ultra. I think I'm a little addicted to trail running.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you all for the support back when the half marathon was a mere idea.

Edited by Laurie_Ann on 10/25/2013 15:57:26 MDT.

Heath Poulter
(antitrust311) - F

Locale: Southwest
Re running plan on 10/26/2013 08:29:57 MDT Print View

I know this is very late but someone else might read it and find it applicable. I used to run marathons when I was 20-21 and didn't run one again until this April on my 33rd birthday due to being overseas and then sustaining an injury that took 3 years and 3 surgeries to heal and only after being challenged by my old room mate who went from being 300lbs and told he was going to die if he didn't lose weight down to looking like a young Bruce Willis with a six pack through BJJ and a solid gym routine. He now does triathlons every other weekend and competes internationally in BJJ. Anyway so I went from running maybe 9 miles a week to completing a half marathon in 10 weeks. This routine was solid;

http://www.nyrr.org/sites/default/files/Conservative.pdf

Also I can't believe anyone could run that far without 1) drinking water and 2) intaking some kind of gel or other energy supplement. I took water and gels during races when I was 20-21 and I was glad they were offered again this year.

Our finishing time was horrible because my buddy had sustained a knee injury a week before the race trail running. We had a solid 1hr 50 minute finishing pace going until we got to the 8 mile mark which was all downhill for the next 3 miles. His knee couldn't take it and our pace dropped significantly for the rest of the race but we stuck it out and finished. I'd challenge anyone to try a half marathon. It really isn't that difficult.
After race completion

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re running plan on 10/26/2013 16:08:28 MDT Print View

"I'd challenge anyone to try a half marathon. It really isn't that difficult."

To finish. Beyond that, a half marathon, like any other distance, is as hard as you want to make it, depending on your time goal, genetic gifts, training regimen, and mental toughness.

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

half marathons on 10/26/2013 20:13:37 MDT Print View

I disagree about it not being that difficult... the event itself wasn't so bad but the training leading up to that was pretty tough at times, especially mentally. I'll never forget the day I did 80 laps at an oval indoor track... I thought I was going to lose my marbles and I think that was a mere 17K.

Then again... difficulty is relative. I went from being morbidly obese and barely able to walk a mile to a backpacker and then a runner. Running 21.1K was pretty monumental.

perspective

Edited by Laurie_Ann on 10/26/2013 20:16:29 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: half marathons on 10/26/2013 20:49:48 MDT Print View

Wow, Laurie! What a monumental achievement! Congratulations to you, and thanks for sharing that! Very cool.

Heath Poulter
(antitrust311) - F

Re on 10/26/2013 21:14:22 MDT Print View

Laurie, that is an amazing feat! I had no idea. I understand your struggles as I am the only one in my family who isn't obese. I have watched my grandmother, mother and brothers all struggle with their weight. I'd say for your average person its as much as a mental challenge as it was for you to overcome but I've seen plenty of overweight people complete half and full marathons. I hope you didn't do all of this alone, having a running/training partner is so important for ones mental state throughout a process like this, even if they aren't in the same town. My buddy lives almost 400 miles away from me and we were still able to keep each other focused on the race and on successful training. I can't imagine running on an indoor track for 80 laps I'd go batty as well. I hate running indoors. I only run outside on trails. When it gets hot here in Phoenix I quit running and pick it up again in the fall. I spend the summers swimming, hiking in the mountains or visiting family near the beach.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: half marathons on 10/27/2013 17:53:01 MDT Print View

"I'll never forget the day I did 80 laps at an oval indoor track..."

You've definitely got the mental toughness dialed in. Congratulations on finishing the 1/2. Monumental, for sure.

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Re: Re on 10/29/2013 16:07:46 MDT Print View

Heath,

I was really fortunate to have friends that came out and ran my turtle pace with me, a husband who watched the little one so I didn't always have to push a stroller, and a superb coach. My coach is an ultra runner and has run across the Atacama, Sahara and the Gobi. Backpacking started this journey and now it's evolved into so many other things.

I can imagine it gets quite scorching there. I don't mind the heat but the humid-heat of an Ontario summer is nothing compared to what you get to deal with down there.

I also use something called DailyMile to track the running and cycling end of my fitness. This is actually the entry where I ran the 80 laps... I took it to the trail for the next long run.

80 Laps

And this is the track. It's cushiony...

Track at Hockey Rink

Edited by Laurie_Ann on 10/29/2013 16:10:32 MDT.

Heath Poulter
(antitrust311) - F

Re track on 10/30/2013 23:56:43 MDT Print View

Laurie, when I was in the Navy we had an indoor track like that. I only ran on it a few times I felt like a hampster on a wheel. That's great that you had so much support. Our gym includes child care which is awesome for me and the misses.

The summer is unbearable here. It got up to 123 degrees Fahrenheit this summer. I can't run in anything over 90 without feeling like I am going to die so I just turn to other things during the 5-6 months of temps over 100 we have here. We are hoping that a position in my company will open up in the Pacific Northwest or Canada so we can get out of here soon.

Edited by antitrust311 on 10/30/2013 23:58:36 MDT.