Forum Index » GEAR » The CAFFIN tents come!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 10/07/2012 15:23:10 MDT Print View

Bring back the design of the Early Winters Omnipotent (c.1978).

Now, that was one bombproof tent. Great when the winds were howling outside.

--B.G.--

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
Roger's tents on 10/07/2012 20:30:15 MDT Print View

Bob,
'twas a mite difficult getting in and out of those things, what with the several lines in the way that had to be unclipped and reclipped, and if you had to get out in a blow, forget it. Nowadays, they would be the separating line-locks instead of heavier ALU buckle/clips, but still a nuisance. None of that with Roger's tents - much better design for a tunnel tent. Bet you had less occasion to get in and out in those days - hah!

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Roger's tents on 10/07/2012 20:35:47 MDT Print View

"several lines in the way that had to be unclipped and reclipped"

I don't remember that at all. I do remember stepping over or crawling under some lines.

I remember that there were three of us sleeping inside one, and it seemed spacious.

--B.G.--

Tjaard Breeuwer
(Tjaard) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota, USA
thanks for the diagram Roger! on 10/07/2012 20:48:45 MDT Print View

Thanks for the diagram Roger. What is at the end of the ground sheet? Mesh door in the summer model, fabric door in the winter one?

Yes, I believe that for people up to almost 2m tall, that would be sufficient length, due to the fact that the head and foot are not touching the fly, and do not slope inwards.

My earlier comment was based on my experience, including tunnels, but those tents all sloped in to some degree or another, except for one 3 pole tunnel I had about 18 years ago, which was great as far as space was concerned.

Ps I am only 195 cm, but I think it sounds silly to say I am 6'4.7" in the US, so to round it off I make it 6'5".

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
The CAFFIN tents come! on 10/08/2012 00:49:51 MDT Print View

Omnipotent
Maybe there is a strong element of nostalgia here..
No doubt at the time it would have been a great tent but taste and sizes (human sizes...) have changed a lot since then.
Can't find very much about it but the maximum height right at the door was 38" sloping particularly for the inner quite a bit from there on.
As for the width I would say that 3 sleeping on their side fitted in but not all that well, definitely not wide enough for 3 mats.
it was around 6 lbs, so again light for the time but not that much now.
you may get a better idea of the size and the obstacle course Samuel was referring to by looking at this shot :
EW Omnipotent
This one is the SL version , 1 less pole , a bit shorter and 1" narrower at the front.
Note the size of the guy compared to the inner.

Edited by Franco on 10/08/2012 04:39:31 MDT.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 10/08/2012 02:54:11 MDT Print View

> Bring back the design of the Early Winters Omnipotent (c.1978).
Yup. That one was featured in my series on tunnel tents.

Cheers

Roger Caffin

Re: thanks for the diagram Roger! on 10/08/2012 02:56:20 MDT Print View

Hi Tjaard

> What is at the end of the ground sheet? Mesh door in the summer model, fabric door in the winter one?
Exactly.
Both tents can be LIVED in.

Cheers

Roger Caffin

Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 10/08/2012 03:00:53 MDT Print View

Hi Franco

Interesting. The pictures I have in part 2 of the series show 4 hoop poles and a different entry. Different models apparently.

cheers

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
The CAFFIN tents come ! on 10/08/2012 04:37:04 MDT Print View

Roger you are correct. That was the Omnipotent SL...
53" wide at the front (the std was 54") 88" long (std 93" L) 39" wide at the back (std was 42 ")
The std came with and without vestibule, 31' sq without , 42.2' sq with.
This is the Omnipotent with vestibule :

EW Omnipotent with vestibule
BTW, I have to post and then edit to add a photo...

Edited by Franco on 10/08/2012 04:38:20 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: The CAFFIN tents come ! on 10/08/2012 12:44:18 MDT Print View

Yes, Franco, the bigger one is the one that I remember from 1978. Three of us slept in one, although we were staggered along the length of it. I think that it was semi-heavy, also. Maybe 9-10 pounds?

Now I think that Early Winters is getting its tent design services outsourced from Australia.

--B.G.--

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Omnipotent and Olympus on 10/08/2012 13:49:22 MDT Print View

Oh yes, very fond memories of the original Omnipotent. It wasn't just bombproof, the baffling system made it like wearing an air filled sleeping bag over your sleeping bag. I've slept in one in Yellowstone in winter, with lows at -40, and lived to tell the tale...but terrible summer tent. Just too warm.

Roger's winter design is more like the MacPac Olympus, but much lighter and probably more robust due to the very cool pole design. I will be saving for that one at least, and maybe the summer version too. The Olympus is also a very robust, well tested design. Well, at least well tested in NZ!

C Nugget
(nuggetwn)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Tent Updates on 10/09/2012 00:43:31 MDT Print View

Really enjoying the tent updates & diagrams. Nice to hear the behind the scenes info. The whole process intrigues me.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Omnipotnet/caterpillar on 10/09/2012 01:46:07 MDT Print View

Loving the Omnipotent. A couple of hours MYOG work and you could have your very own smiley caterpillar to go to sleep in every night.

Roger Caffin

Re: Omnipotnet/caterpillar on 10/09/2012 04:12:03 MDT Print View

> A couple of hours MYOG work
I WISH!
It used to take me many days of careful work for each tent.

Cheers

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
The CAFFIN tents come! on 10/09/2012 15:13:52 MDT Print View

I WISH!
It used to take me many days of careful work for each tent.

Not to make the whole tent, but to add some antenna (osmeterium), a couple of eyes and a smile to the Omnipotent. It would take me months to make a tent, possibly years :).

Hennery Paul
(Hennreypaul) - F
Tent on 10/20/2012 03:22:46 MDT Print View

It takes time to make the tent depending upon the size and I like the idea of making mesh doors ion the summer and the fabric doors in the winter
-------------------
URL deleted
Roger Caffin

Edited by rcaffin on 10/20/2012 04:37:03 MDT.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 10/20/2012 03:44:09 MDT Print View

Posting to make this thread easier for me to find and make visible again after the current spam attack.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 02/21/2013 19:01:16 MST Print View

Roger, you may not be able to update us with any new information, but this IS still in the works, correct?

Roger Caffin

Update re the CAFFIN tents on 02/21/2013 20:36:27 MST Print View

OK, update time.
Well, there has been a lot of work behind the scenes over this. I would be exchanging emails with Easton at least once a week.

Several prototypes of the summer tent have been made by an Asian sewing company. None of them were correct, but this is understandable as the design and the construction techniques were very new for them, and the staff there have limited English. The last meant that my copious notes on how to sew the tent were of rather less value than I had hoped. Sigh! Mind you, they did seem to have got 90% of the thing the first time around, which i found very encouraging. I think they are now working on another prototype.

It has been a bit of a learning experience for me as well: to find out what can an Asian factory do well and what is difficult for them. Please note here: the word 'difficult' is usually spelt 'expensive'. When I made mine I did not worry about the time taken, but that does not work commercially. Some fine details have therefore been tweaked to make them simpler to sew WITHOUT any compromise on design or quality.

One thing I have had to do is to provide full-size DXF files for every fabric piece. Without that they did not know where to start and the tent might have looked like ... anything. OK, that's just a bit of hack work for me to do. I assume they have very large plotters.

At the same time we have been chasing coated fabrics. Some of Easton's tents are made of fabrics in the older 70 D PU-coated class (around 70 gsm), which is just not good enough for this tent. But at the same time we want a good pressure rating (hydrostatic head) so the fly does not leak in heavy rain, and the groundsheet does not give you a damp backside. A PU coating is very good for this, but it can drop the tear strength to 1/3 of what you get with a 'silnylon'. So, we get samples, then we ask for slight changes, then we ask how much ...

The winter tent looks more complex, being double-skin and 4 poles, but it builds directly on the summer tent. By the time we get the summer tent all sorted out, making the winter tent should be fairly simple, even if the design looks more complex.

Price is still unknown, but fairly obviously it won't be priced like a cheap pop-up. Can't do it! And frankly, I don't see the need to compete with Walmart.

We are, I think, still on track for production and release for Spring 2014, for the summer tent.

Cheers

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Update re the CAFFIN tents on 02/21/2013 20:47:48 MST Print View

I propose that you name the new product the Caffin Coffin.

--B.G.--