Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
The CAFFIN tents come!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 06/07/2012 19:46:54 MDT Print View

People: You can't wait for the winter tent, you gotta buy the summer weight one so we can get TO the winter tent! So everybody buy a summer weight tent- they'll all end up set up once in the back yard, 'not liked', and gear swapped like everything else anyway.

Sierra Designs is about to have a $1500 tent, so even $1000 for "The Caffin Coffin" [;)] doesn't seem so bad.

AND HE SAID AT THE BEGINNING OF THE ARTICLE IT CONTAINS A LOT OF OPINION!!!

Way to go Rog!!

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 06/07/2012 19:53:58 MDT Print View

Barry, the tents haven't even been made yet. Isn't it standard when starting up a new venture to give one design a first shot to see what customer response will be like, and then build up from there? Not sure what you're getting at. At least the tents will now be available! That's more than we've had a chance at ever since Roger first started talking about the tents. (I've always been rather frustrated with the reviews comparing tents in which one of Roger's tents was used, declared the best of the lot, and then the readers never having access to one). I say it's time to rejoice! The criticisms of the tents can come after they go into production and we all get to try them out, no?

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 06/07/2012 19:58:07 MDT Print View

Miguel

I AM excited about the tents!! very much so

"The Caffin Coffin" came from the thread after the article, somebody was calling him Roger Coffin

And the 'Buy the summer one first" was from my understanding, they are gonna make the summer weight one first and if it sells, move on the the more expensive winter weight model.

I bet these things will be amazing

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
The CAFFIN tents come! on 06/07/2012 19:58:47 MDT Print View

Congradulations, Roger! Well done.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Congrats! on 06/07/2012 19:59:15 MDT Print View

Congratulations Roger.

It must give you a feeling of gratification to see your designs recognized by a high end manufacturer AND be asked to work with them.

Can't wait to see the summer tent.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 06/07/2012 20:00:13 MDT Print View

+1 Barry!

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
Re: Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 06/07/2012 20:08:59 MDT Print View

Congratulations roger.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 06/07/2012 20:09:22 MDT Print View

Roger,

After seeing your tents and gleaning from your insights for so many years, I cannot begin to tell you how happy I am for you!!!

What a compliment to you to have your design so highly praised by a manufacturer.

Let me take this opportunity to say thank you, as well, for all you share.

Todd

PS: I've always admired the efficient use of floor space in your designs.

Edited by funnymoney on 06/07/2012 20:12:07 MDT.

Michael Martin
(MikeMartin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: North Idaho
Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 06/07/2012 21:26:52 MDT Print View

Congratulations, Roger. I wish you unbounded success.

What will the footprint dimensions be?

Joseph R
(Dianoda) - MLife

Locale: Chicago, IL
Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 06/07/2012 21:45:14 MDT Print View

Very cool, Roger. Congrats!

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 06/07/2012 21:53:45 MDT Print View

The summer tent is what I'd get, so there's 1.

I don't care that they're made in China. If Roger isn't making them, and they're not made in my country, I don't really care where it's made so long as it's made well.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 06/07/2012 22:09:12 MDT Print View

Hi Devion

> Any chance we'll get a BPL article on licensing a design or the production process?
Most likely. :-)
EARLY days so far.

Cheers

Roger Caffin

Re: Yes! on 06/07/2012 22:19:02 MDT Print View

Hi Bradley

> 1) Do you have any concerns over using carbon fiber instead of aluminum for the poles?
Nope.
The blue summer tent has lasted for about 6 years, and there were other tents before that. A number of people have made copies and used them in the field as well.

> not exactly delivering a linear load straight down the poles
No, that is true, but they build Dreamliners out of carbon fibre ...
The keys here are to keep well within the limits of the CF tubing, and to use guy ropes.

> how it's possible to only have a 300g difference between a single-skin 3-pole summer
> design and a double-skin 4-pole design. I would have expected far more.
Well, all that you add with the winter tent is the inner tent fabric and one extra pole. The groundsheet was included in the sumemr tent. Figure on about 100 g for the extra pole, 120 g for the inner tent, and about 80 g for the extra door zips.

> condensation-reduction benefits of aluminized fabrics
That's more difficult. At present they only make aluminised acrylic-coated fabric at over 70 gsm (afaik). Way too heavy.

Cheers

Roger Caffin

Re: Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 06/07/2012 22:30:45 MDT Print View

Hi Michael

> What will the footprint dimensions be?
My tents have a groundsheet which is 2200 mm x ~1100 mm, but I would appreciate any comments about the length. I THINK that is long enough for most walkers. I can get a fair bit of gear across the foot end inside the groundsheet.

The width is just a little more than two average 3/4 length airmats (520 mm each). I can get gear down the two outside edges, between the mat and the groundsheet bucket wall, which keeps my quilt off the bucket wall - avoiding a cold wall against the quilt and any condensation.

The outside dimensions are larger of course: about 1260 mm wide at the pole tips and ~3.5 m overall length. Yes, the length of a tunnel tent is what everyone comments on: it's a bit high. However, note that you do NOT need a flat site that big! I have pitched the tent on a flat area little more than 2.2 m x 1.2 m: the vestibules floors were 'lumpy' but that was not a problem.

Cheers
(Edited to correct footprint width.)

Edited by rcaffin on 06/08/2012 04:53:53 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 06/07/2012 23:27:22 MDT Print View

Any chance you might be looking to design a 1+ solo shelter?

Michael Martin
(MikeMartin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: North Idaho
Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 06/08/2012 00:53:45 MDT Print View

"My tents have a groundsheet which is 2200 mm x ~1060 mm, but I would appreciate any comments about the length."

I think that is a good length considering the near vertical end walls (and assuming that the end bells are vestibules and not included in those dimensions.) But, too-short tents are one of my pet peeves and I'd gladly trade 50g for another 50mm length. :-)

Light weight aluminized silnylon must be available somewhere as I have an RBH jacket and Warmlite tent that both use it.

Cheers,

Mike

R K
(oiboyroi)

Locale: South West US
Re: Re: Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 06/08/2012 01:44:36 MDT Print View

Roger,

Good new about your tents! Congrats!

I agree with Michael, a little extra length would be nice, say 90in.(2286mm) or so?

Also, I know you were just asking about the length, but the width at 1060mm (41in.) is going to be awfully tight for two. I can see how it works for you and your wife, but us Americans are fat, and we like our personal space :). My preferred width is ~50in (1270mm).

Cheers,

Roy

Stuart R
(Scunnered) - F

Locale: Scotland
Re: Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 06/08/2012 02:19:48 MDT Print View

WELL DONE YOU!!!

My tents have a groundsheet which is 2200 mm x ~1060 mm, but I would appreciate any comments about the length.

I think those dimensions are ok for a genuine 2p lw tent, but I would not want to see any smaller.

Now, "summer" means different things if different parts of the world, so if you want any pre-production testing in the Scottish "summer"...

Roger Caffin

Re: Re: Re: Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 06/08/2012 04:47:15 MDT Print View

> Any chance you might be looking to design a 1+ solo shelter?
Oh, been there, done that, for both summer and winter. Ryan J has a custom winter one.

But, the weight efficiency is quite poor imho, and the design is not all that good either. The narrow width for one person clashes with the height requirement, unless you want a glorified bivy tube. I really cannot recommend it.

Cheers

Roger Caffin

Re: Re: Re: Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 06/08/2012 04:52:38 MDT Print View

Hi Roy and others

I really am interested in everyone's comments about the size.

> but the width at 1060mm (41in.) is going to be awfully tight for two.
But even a 'big' 3/4 length Therm-a-rest is only 520 mm wide. How much extra width do you need at the sides? Answers please!

Note correction to my previous posting: I should have written 1100 mm for the width. Sorry.

Cheers