Forum Index » GEAR » The CAFFIN tents come!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
The CAFFIN tents come! on 06/07/2012 17:46:56 MDT Print View

Hi all

Over the years many of you have asked whether (or when) my tents will become available. I tried making them myself for sale but it was too slow and the price was too high. Sigh.

Well, AFTER my Survey and Tutorial on Tunnel Tents was published I was contacted by a large manufacturer of outdoors gear. Based on the Tutorial, they expressed an interest in producing my tents under licence. So, we negotiated, and I have signed an agreement. I repeat, their interest was triggered by the publication of the Tutorial.

Two key items in the agreement are that I will be working with the actual company doing the sewing, and the designs to be produced are subject to my approval. Some readers worried that the design might be degraded if it went into production by someone else: that is not going to happen. My design approval is needed.

Yes, this means we are aiming at the high end of the light-weight market, NOT at the low end where all those pop-ups reign. So the price is not going to be low, but the company thinks it will be affordable.

4008 Blue tent opposite Mont Blanc
The first version is expected to be the single-skin 2-man 3-pole summer tent. It will look very similar to the (6-year old) blue one you have seen in my photos, just slightly improved with the benefit of all those years of testing. Weight target: under 1.2 kg, depending on fabrics

5621S2 Red tent Snowy River, When Things Go Wrong
If this sells well, we will then move on to the double-skin 2-man 4-pole winter tent, that you will also have seen in some of my photos. Weight target, around 1.5 kg, again depending on fabrics.

The company is Easton Mountain Products, and the tents will be using their carbon fibre poles. Expected (hoped?) delivery is spring/summer 2014. Their comment: "Also we're very excited at the prospect!" Yeah, I'm pretty chuffed too.

Cheers

Edited by rcaffin on 06/07/2012 17:47:27 MDT.

Barry Cuthbert
(nzbazza) - MLife

Locale: New Zealand
Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 06/07/2012 17:50:23 MDT Print View

That is super cool! I'll be in the queue for one.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 06/07/2012 17:53:27 MDT Print View

Roger,

Very, very cool. Congratulations and much success!

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 06/07/2012 17:55:27 MDT Print View

2.6 pounds. I might have to get one.

Congrats Roger!

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 06/07/2012 17:56:01 MDT Print View

I have no foreseeable need for such a tent in the near future, especially living here in NM with our favorable weather, but a big congratulations goes out to you Mr. Caffin on your new endeavor.

Jeremy Osburn
(earn_my_turns)

Locale: New England
I will start saving now on 06/07/2012 17:56:47 MDT Print View

For the winter one!!! Might take a few years of piggy bank filling but the excitement is high.

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble
Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 06/07/2012 18:29:16 MDT Print View

This is so epicly awesome, Roger. All the drooling we have done over these tents in BPL articles will not have been in vain. Any chance we'll get a BPL article on licensing a design or the production process?

Edited by dsmontgomery on 06/07/2012 18:35:57 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 06/07/2012 18:33:57 MDT Print View

OI! Oi! Oi!

Can't wait - I'll definitely buy one for the winter.

John West
(skyzo) - F

Locale: Borah Gear
Re: Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 06/07/2012 18:46:35 MDT Print View

Sweet! Count me in for the winter one.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
but but but on 06/07/2012 18:48:43 MDT Print View

it aint "cottage" ... so it aint BPL coool ;)

good for you !

Mike Klinefelter
(mjkline)

Locale: Southern California
Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 06/07/2012 18:55:22 MDT Print View

2014, as in 2 years from now?

Stephan Doyle
(StephanCal)
Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 06/07/2012 18:57:01 MDT Print View

Easton is really stepping up their game lately. Good on them, and a fantastic opportunity for you Roger to share your expertise with the world!

Nicholas Truax
(nicktruax) - F

Locale: Montanada
RE: CAFFIN tents on 06/07/2012 18:58:09 MDT Print View

That is awesome, Roger! Congrats are in order - can't wait to see em.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 06/07/2012 19:00:58 MDT Print View

I can hardly wait for a certain somebody's response to this news.

NW Hiker
(king2005ify) - M
Congrats on 06/07/2012 19:02:14 MDT Print View

While I found your "reviews" to be completely biased, and to me almost seemed to be selling your product, I do wish you success and look forward to the tent line.

Edited by king2005ify on 06/07/2012 22:17:38 MDT.

P. P.
(toesnorth) - F

Locale: PNW
I'm salivating already! on 06/07/2012 19:21:03 MDT Print View

Looks good! I will want to try it myself rather than rely on reviews. ;-)

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 06/07/2012 19:31:09 MDT Print View

I have been keenly interested and ever hopeful of being able to one day get one of your tents since 2002, when I first read your website and all the information you put in there (and when I also had an exchange with you about making one myself). Ten years! Finally they'll be here! Definitely put me on the waiting list!

Michael Duke
(mpd1690) - F
Re: Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 06/07/2012 19:37:12 MDT Print View

Congratulations! It's good to see some excellent quality tents reaching into the mainstream market.

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: The CAFFIN tents come! on 06/07/2012 19:40:12 MDT Print View

Man, I leave the computer for a few minutes and look what happens.
Congratulations Roger- I have been trying to figure out how to get my hands on one for years. I didn't want to make the several versions you did to get where they are now.
I just hope the price isn't in the stratosphere.
Put me on the wait list.

Bradley Danyluk
(dasbin) - MLife
Yes! on 06/07/2012 19:43:37 MDT Print View

Spectacular, Roger!

Thank you so much for persuing this. The community can only benefit. Could be a game-changer to all manufacturers interested in persuing lightweight designs, and I hope this brings you reward.

I'll probably end up buying both eventually, or maybe just the winter one, depending on pricing.

Couple questions:

1) Do you have any concerns over using carbon fiber instead of aluminum for the poles? I understand the stresses of your pole design will be far more suitable to carbon fibre than poles which undergo a bend - however, it seems to me that the apex sections are still not exactly delivering a linear load straight down the poles. Add in strong crosswinds and it gets even more complicated.

2) I'm curious how it's possible to only have a 300g difference between a single-skin 3-pole summer design and a double-skin 4-pole design. I would have expected far more.

PS: Please consider looking into the physics of condensation-reduction benefits of aluminized fabrics. Like I've mentioned... that's my dream tent :)

Edited by dasbin on 06/07/2012 19:56:47 MDT.