Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
UL BP & DSLR
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
UL BP & DSLR on 06/12/2012 23:50:34 MDT Print View

I'm enjoying the X100 and finding it to be a very capable camera. What I love most is the lens, it's fast and sharp, unobtrusive, and a joy to use. There is a bit of a curve figuring out the menu system, but once you have everything set you're free to shoot manually or assisted with very little effort. I parted with my Nikon D7000 for this and don't regret my decision one bit.

Eugene - that's good to hear. I have long been an admirer of your photography and videos. My X100 arrived today, so can't wait to take it out for a spin this weekend.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
X100 on 06/13/2012 08:16:41 MDT Print View

I looked at the X100 a year or so ago, but wrote it off due to all of the quirks that seemed to hang around after the initial firmware upgrades...

If I was in the market for a fixed lens, I would definitely give it a second chance based on the new firmware. It appears the sticky aperture blade issue is also fixed, which is very good news!

edit:
Good thread here (with link to article about the new firmware):
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1120268

Edited by JacobD on 06/13/2012 08:18:36 MDT.

Paul Schwerdt
(flexabull) - F

Locale: State of Jefferson
Re: D90 to Mirrorless? on 06/13/2012 11:15:57 MDT Print View

I live in Redding, so the Trinity Alps is kind of like my "backyard". I've backpacked there many times. (twice this year, both times without my D90) Though Stuart Fork is one of the areas I haven't been to, though I did look down on Emerald Lake from way above it on a ridgeline.

Nice to see that the kit lens performs well, especially when compared to some other kits lenses I'm familiar with.

Like I said, I fiddled around with the Sony a bit in the store, and I like the feel, but I won't know for sure what I'll think until I get it outside. I do think the flip screen will be useful especially when the camera is mounted on a tripod. Can't say it's easy to squat/lay down to look through a viewfinder on a lowered or compact tripod. If I do get the 5N, it'll most likely be a used one.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Ricoh GXR versatility on 06/20/2012 13:28:07 MDT Print View

Miguel said:
"Don't forget the Ricoh GXR system. The newer lens units use APS sensors and the quality is extremely high. It even has an M-mount lens unit designed to use Leica, Voigtlander, and other M-mount legacy lenses, and the sensor has very high dynamic range and beautiful resolution. Many people are calling it the poor-man's Leica.

I've moved on to the Oylmpus OM-D E-M5, mainly because I found the GXR's lens units difficult to make work as a single, integrated system, plus I wanted a much faster focusing camera, since I take lots of wildlife and people photos. However, I still very much prefer the Ricoh camera interface and love the colors and rendition of the Ricoh APS sensors."

I've upgraded from a Ricoh GX200 (24-72 zoom) to a Ricoh GXR. Not UL, but good IQ. The thing is I want DSLR quality and superzoom capability. The GXR lens/sensor units make it possible to have both in one kit at a reasonable weight. The A12 28mm f2.5 unit uses a full APS-C sized Sony sensor and weighs 210g, the P10 28-280mm 10 x optical zoom unit uses a much smaller sensor and weighs a mere 171g. The camera, battery and card weighs 210g. So for a total of 591g or just shy of 21oz you have DSLR image quality for landscapes and portraits/group photos, and the ability to pluck birds on the wing and bring distant crags or canoes close up.

This is more than some will carry, but a lot less than the OP, with more versatility. And after all, the kit only weighs about the same as a pint of water. OK, the P10 unit only gives around the same image quality as a Pana TZ20, but the 28mm f2.5 APS-C has some serious low light ability and high IQ for close work, groups and panoramas.

I'll see how it goes.