Pots for 2 people/couples
Display Avatars Sort By:
Cody Croslow
(Graelb) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
RE: Hard anodized on 06/07/2012 11:34:05 MDT Print View

How well do the anodized pots handle open flames? I recently bought and have been using a wood-stove for my cooking, and am sorely tempted to buy one of these open country 2qt pots, but I'm a little worried about the heat and the char-effect on the bottom.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
evernew 1.3 on 06/07/2012 21:04:41 MDT Print View

I find the evernew 1.3L with built in folding handles perfect for 2. Has pour spout molded into lip, and can easily be poured with one hand using the handles , very important when pouring water into freezer bags, especially if solo.

A full pot is enough for making 4 packs (2 each) of easy mac and 2 cups of coffee/hot chocolate. I can boil it on about 1.25 fl oz (1 oz wt) of alcohol.

Devon Cloud
(devoncloud)

Locale: Southwest
evernew titanium 1.9 liter on 06/08/2012 16:30:25 MDT Print View

I like this pot for two people.. I have a big appetite though, I am a big guy. titanium is expensive but pretty indestructable. If you are using a wood burning stove (best way if you ask me) the flames move around on the bottom of hte pot so you don't have hotspots like you would with an alcohol stove.

That being said, you will get 20 different answers from 20 different people. One thing I have found on this site is everyone's way is the best and there is arguments for each design. They are all functional, it is just personal opinion on which one you feel comfortable with.

Barry P
(BarryP) - F

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)
Re: Pots for 2 people/couples on 08/21/2012 17:16:44 MDT Print View

Sorry for late response.

“I was wondering what do you guys recommend in terms of cooking pots/dishes, utensils etc. for couples.
What sort of pots, sizes, materials, brand names etc. are good?”

+1 on the 1.3L evernew TI mentioned. 4.8oz. – love those handles.
We (wife and I) do freezer bag cooking. We use that pot on a White Box alcohol stove. Actually, I’ve fed 5 with this setup. Meal time for all 5 took about 40 minutes.

Utensils: we just use long-handled Ti spoons.

-Barry

Jon Fong
(jonfong57)

Locale: www.flatcatgear.com
Evernew 1.3 liter - uncoated on 08/21/2012 18:02:08 MDT Print View

I find that the 1.3 liter size is perfect for us. I cook in the pot and need a tough surface that is easy to clean. In that regard, titanium is great. I can and have cleaned it out with sand and rocks before. The pot still looks shiny and new. My 2 cents - Jon

Derek M.
(dmusashe) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Such low pot volumes for 2 people?... on 11/25/2013 19:01:43 MST Print View

I guess I'm kind of resurrecting an old thread here, but I'm just curious to know how some of you are getting away with less than 1.5 liter capacity pots when cooking for 2 people?

I can't even cook shells for mac and cheese (for 2 people) without using around 1.5 liters of the capacity of my 2 liter open country pot. The water would boil over if I had a much smaller pot. I could probably use slightly less water, but not a huge amount less. And this is one of the easiest meals that I prepare!

I also can't stand having to constantly worry about the food in a pot boiling over, so I'm somewhat baffled by some of the small pot volumes I saw earlier in this thread. I can't ever imagine going smaller than 1.5 liters for two people, and I feel like that would seriously limit my cooking options as well.

I just don't get how some of you are getting away with pots in the 1.1 liter or less range. Are you just cooking "boil a bag" meals?

I guess I'm asking because I'd love to be able to get away with a smaller pot, but I haven't been able to find a way to make one work that doesn't also seriously limit my cooking potential (I like to actually cook on the trail, not just bring water to a boil).

Thanks for the input!

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
2nd post on 11/25/2013 19:36:39 MST Print View

see my post (#2)- it's strictly boil in the bag, thus 900 ml is plenty-"cooking" you'd definitely need more volume