Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
fire kit in checked bag
Display Avatars Sort By:
Sean Heenan
(roadster1)

Locale: Southeast mountains
fire kit in checked bag on 06/05/2012 13:07:56 MDT Print View

I'm flying to California next week to hike in Kings canyon and as I was packing my gear I was stumped as to whether I can pack my fire kit in my checked bags. Fire kit consists of matches in a prescription bottle, lighter, and vaseline cotton balls. Pretty simple question but I didn't want to inadvertantly start the plane on fire. Any thoughts.

Keegan D
(nageek18)

Locale: Bay Area
re: on 06/05/2012 15:49:06 MDT Print View

It's pretty easy to buy a bic lighter and matches in any store once you get here if you are worried about bringing those items on a plane.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: fire kit in checked bag on 06/05/2012 16:20:26 MDT Print View

I never had any issue with lighters or matchs in checked or carry on baggage, for firestarting I would use lint out of a tumble dryer.

Will Webster
(WillWeb) - M
Fire on 06/05/2012 16:31:55 MDT Print View

TSA says matches and lighters are allowed in carry-on but not checked luggage. I don't think firestarters are allowed at all, but if you carry the Vaseline and cotton balls separately they're health & beauty products.

Sean Heenan
(roadster1)

Locale: Southeast mountains
Thanks Will and all on 06/05/2012 16:38:12 MDT Print View

The TSA rule was what I was searching for thanks for the responses. I agree could always buy this kind of thing when I get there, just curious as to what the rules are.