Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
New Easton Nano Stakes
Display Avatars Sort By:
Clint Warner
(kodipak) - MLife

Locale: Salt Lake City
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Easton Nano Stakes and Mini Groundhogs on 06/05/2012 21:51:20 MDT Print View

Thank you Henry for notifying me of this thread. I am the OEM Sales Manager for Easton and want to address this issue. Henry is correct in that we spent significant time looking for ways to improve the stake head fit to help them stay on better. I will say that although some of the old style cap have been problematic, we have had comparatively few complaints actually reported to us so it is hard to know what the actual failure rate of the old style caps were. From everything we can tell, it wasn't a huge problem, but was something that needed to be improved.

What we have been able to determine with the old cap is that if the cap slips ever so slightly between the time the caps are installed and the adhesive is cured (they are heat cured in an oven) it creates a gap between the stake and the end of the cap that lacks the metal on metal contact needed to take the impacts from being hit with a hammer, rock, etc. Fully seated caps can take a massive beating without failure. We have done extensive testing on this, having completed many man weeks of destructive testing in our factory and in the field to learn more about the ins and outs of what causes the caps to fail.

Here is what we did to address this on all new revised cap stake designs:
*Added a press fit feature in addition to the existing adhesive at the back of the cap to hold it in the fully seated position while the adhesive cures.

*Implemented a 100% hand length sort to pull out any that don't meet the fully seated length requirement.

We concluded that by doing all of this we should expect a significant reduction in the number of failures in the field. Due to the abusive nature of how tent stakes are used, you will never eliminate failures 100% but I can attest that the new design is more robust than the old one.

If anyone has any problems, we certainly apologize and want to stand behind our product. Please let us know at 800-800-6686. We certainly will make it right and replace any stakes that lose their caps. Your feedback is crucial to helping us make our products better.

Sincerely,

Clint Warner
Sales Manager, Tubing and OEM Products

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
Very nice on 06/05/2012 22:08:08 MDT Print View

Thank you Easton rep for your detailed explanation of the continuing R&D process on these stakes and Eastons customer commitment. Pretty refreshing.

And thanks to Henry for the helpful nudge.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Very Nice Indeed on 06/05/2012 22:36:31 MDT Print View

I'll place my order, find a rock, and start testing ;-)

In all seriousness, though, thank you Clint for update. And thank you Easton for going the extra mile. It is indeed good to know that something a lowly as a tent stake can command such attention.

I intend to put them to good use through the coming years. And at your invitation, should any fail, I'll save the bits and send them back, just to get a better 3rd generation product.

Edited by greg23 on 06/05/2012 22:40:04 MDT.

Rakesh Malik
(Tamerlin)

Locale: Cascadia
Re: Very nice on 06/06/2012 00:01:40 MDT Print View

"Thank you Easton rep for your detailed explanation of the continuing R&D process on these stakes and Eastons customer commitment. Pretty refreshing."

That's an understatement.

Henry's customer service is as impressive as his tent designs. :)

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
I agree Rakesh on 06/06/2012 22:22:50 MDT Print View

And the comment was directed toward the Easton rep. If I were commenting on Henry, it would be only positive. And I've never bought anything from TT. Even so, Henry has just plain been helpful in the past. -And, if the need presents itself later this year, I know exactly what solo tent will work for me. A Notch with half solid inner and four 8" Easton stakes. TT definitely has some very innovative products and the customer service to seal the deal.

-I have no personal connection or motive for gain with TT. Just had excellent interactions with Henry and thought I'd share. Thanks for the reminder Rakesh.

Edited by WarrenGreer on 06/06/2012 22:26:12 MDT.

Trace Richardson
(tracedef) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Yikes. on 06/07/2012 22:03:54 MDT Print View

I just got what I've just learned are the older version yesterday from Hyperlite, so I will have to keep an eye on the head coming off, the Vargo Ascent titaniums bent the first time I used them, so these are to replace those .... so much stake drama. ;)

Edited by tracedef on 06/07/2012 22:11:56 MDT.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Yikes. on 06/08/2012 07:06:06 MDT Print View

Trace,
The old style heads don't just fall off. I've beat on mine for a couple of seasons and had only two come off and one loosen out of about a dozen in use over 60 nights out. And those were the gold 8". Blue 6" haven't loosened or popped off yet. From what I read above, Easton stands firmly behind the product, so you'll get replacements for the price of returning.

The real issues are 1)having a head come off and not being able to extract the stake, and 2) then being one stake short. So I carry 1 spare.

And if you are not pounding you won't have a problem.

I DO like these stakes. They will go through almost anything and they hold well as a deadman in deep dry sand.

YMMV

Rakesh Malik
(Tamerlin)

Locale: Cascadia
Re: I agree Rakesh on 06/08/2012 09:59:27 MDT Print View

"-I have no personal connection or motive for gain with TT. Just had excellent interactions with Henry and thought I'd share. Thanks for the reminder Rakesh."

I doubt that many people need reminders about TT and TT's customer service, based on how many people take both Henry's side and Franco's when a few fools launch into tirades against them. ;)

It is refreshing to learn that Easton is also standing behind their products and fixing flaws in them.

ed hyatt
(edhyatt) - MLife

Locale: The North; UK
Yikes on 06/08/2012 11:04:30 MDT Print View

I'm not sure what some people do to their pegs (not stakes chaps ;-)...

Like Greg I've probably the same nights on mine and they are fine.

John Harper
(johnnyh88) - M

Locale: The SouthWest
Called Easton on 06/08/2012 11:28:01 MDT Print View

I called Easton this morning (at the number provided above) and was simply told to talk to Campmor (where I purchased the stakes) about getting a refund/returning them.

Marc Clark
(mclarkmd) - MLife

Locale: NW North Carolina
8" Easton Nano Stakes on 06/20/2012 18:21:44 MDT Print View

I received 8 brand new Easton 8" Nano stakes today. While I was pulling them from the packaging, 3 of the 8 heads "slid" off. Something is VERY wrong with these stakes. I would not rely on them in the field. When the head of one of their older 8" gold stakes came off in the field you almost need pliers to get them out of soft ground (any ultralight pliers out there?) At least with the old stakes it took a little banging and pulling before they came apart. The Nanos come apart before use.

As the number provided to us to call simply informs us to contact the retailer we purchased from, I doubt that is the customer service we thought would be provided reading the above statement from Easton. Since I have to pay for return postage, I doubt it is worth the money and effort to ship them back to my retailer at $9.95 per 4 of them.

Would Easton be interested in providing us some instructions on how best to secure the head back on our brand new stakes so that we could actually feel secure with them or even use them?

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: 8" Easton Nano Stakes on 06/20/2012 18:27:23 MDT Print View

Marc,
Who did you get them from?

There Is something seriously wrong, and knowing where these are showing up may help Easton. As mentioned above, Campmor was the source for the noted failures.

Thanks.

[BTW, I did PM Clint.]

Edited by greg23 on 06/20/2012 18:30:47 MDT.

Marc Clark
(mclarkmd) - MLife

New Easton Nano Stakes on 06/20/2012 18:51:23 MDT Print View

backcountry.com Also make that 4 out of 8 stakes that were defective.

Edited by mclarkmd on 06/20/2012 19:25:15 MDT.

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: New Easton Nano Stakes on 06/20/2012 19:29:17 MDT Print View

Marc,
Backcountry.com will probably pay for return shipping for something like that- I'd contact them to tell them what happened. They have always been real good to me with situations like that.
Tad

Mark Cashmere
(tinkrtoy) - M

Locale: NEOH
Just checked mine on 06/20/2012 20:05:17 MDT Print View

I just checked the 8 Nanos that came with my Easton Kilo 1P and I couldn't tug off any of the heads (pulling for a while) and there appears to be a bead of clear bonding material around the seam between the shaft and the head of the stake. Sounds like yours made it through Q/A erroneously.

As for weight, I can kinda confirm that one stake weighs .30 (my scale only increments down to the .05 oz.) and 8 stakes weigh 2.20 oz., so .26 oz each could be close to right. I can do grams -- 1 stake ~ 8 grams, 8 stakes ~ 63 grams.

I am kind of tossed between using these or just taking the set of 'e' and shepherd's hook titanium stakes I usually sub on my tents when I use them in the field.

Clint Warner
(kodipak) - MLife

Stakes on 06/20/2012 22:22:09 MDT Print View

Sorry that some of you had problems with calling our customer service department. The last thing we want our customers to have is any more inconveniences when it comes to reconciling problems with our products. If they do, we need to make it right with as little disruption as possible. It appears that some of you tried to contact us and were referred back to your dealer. I would like to clarify that with warranty issues, we want our customers to use whichever is most convenient for them to deal with the problem, whether it be through the dealer or calling us directly, we will take care of you. The reason we suggest using the dealer is that sometimes it is easier and quicker to drive 5 minutes to a local store and get replacement product immediately then wait for us to send you replacement product. Obviously that isn't always a good option for any number of reasons and so if it is more convenient to work with us directly, that is fine too. Either way is fine with us and we should work with you.

For those who were referred back to their dealer as the only option, I apologize. I will speak to customer service and make sure that our message is a consistent one to prevent any miscommunications in the future.

Clint Warner
Sales Manager
Tubing and OEM Products

Clint Warner
(kodipak) - MLife

Re: 8" Easton Nano Stakes on 06/21/2012 11:44:54 MDT Print View

Marc,

Please PM me with your address and we will get you taken care of.

Thanks,
Clint

Ron Bell
(mountainlaureldesigns) - F - M

Locale: USA
Re: New Easton Nano Stakes on 06/21/2012 16:11:53 MDT Print View

We have sold thousands of the the older style (and a thousand or so of the newer style) over the years and occasionally hear of a head coming off - BUT - it is quite rare. We always offer to ship new ones or suggest a small dab of 5min epoxy glue. I have driven then through 2X4's with a hammer with almost no deformation. Remember: Nothing light enough to carry lightweight backpacking is totally indestructible, but these are pretty darn good.

We could sell any stake out there or even have them made custom for us if we wanted , but choose this stake as one of the two we carry for two main reasons:

1: High holding power for the weight.

It has about equal moist soil holding power as the common 7.5" Y stake- 66lbs vs 67lbs and much more holding power in compacted forrest soil 66lbs vs 51lbs giving the Easton stake the highest combined holding power and combined soil holding power to weight ratio of all leading stake types.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/tent_stakes.html

Note that the newest Easton Nano stakes (older and slightly heavier ones were in the review) are lighter than the 7.5" Y stakes too. -My interpretation of the BPL tests conclusions differ and factor in the new lower weight if needed to the conclusion methodology and the Easton stakes are the clear choice.

SO, when you hear all the talk about Y stake being superior in holding power, that just ain't true unless you get a much larger and heavier Y stake.

2: Rounded edges on the head will drastically limit cut hands or shelters.

John Harper
(johnnyh88) - M

Locale: The SouthWest
New Easton Nano Stakes on 06/27/2012 20:10:24 MDT Print View

After talking to Clint last week, Easton sent me some new 8'' stakes to replace the ones whose caps popped off (free of charge, didn't even have to send in my old stakes!). They arrived today and I'm happy to say that none of the caps of these stakes popped off - they all seem quite solid. I'll probably be bringing some of these along on future hikes. I'm looking forward to seeing how they work out.

Marc Clark
(mclarkmd) - MLife

Defective Nano Stakes on 07/02/2012 17:08:29 MDT Print View

In follow-up, Backcountry.com has sent me total of 16 Easton 8" Nano stakes (original purchases and as replacements). Only 5 stakes are any good. I could pull the tips off 11 of them by hand coming out of the package. Clint at Easton was to send me 8 replacements but so far I have not received them. Folks, 11/16 defective stakes is not a rare occurrence. Sorry, but I can't seem to get 6 functional stakes for my tarp.