Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Ten Lakes
Display Avatars Sort By:
Keegan D
(nageek18)

Locale: Bay Area
Ten Lakes on 06/04/2012 13:47:05 MDT Print View

planning on making a trip to ten lakes this week. Does any one know the conditions over the pass?

I have never been here before so would like some recommendations on the best camping spots and some nice day hike ideas. Which lake is the best?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Ten Lakes on 06/04/2012 13:51:25 MDT Print View

Which country?

--B.G.--

Keegan D
(nageek18)

Re: Ten Lakes on 06/04/2012 14:28:45 MDT Print View

Yosemite Ten lakes

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Ten Lakes on 06/04/2012 14:33:40 MDT Print View

The vast majority of backpackers will camp around the first big lake. That's OK, but that is where the bears hit first. Independent-minded backpackers will often go up to the highest lakes on the right. My preference was to go to the lowest lake on the left, and then hike up Grand Mountain. The best lake is the one where there are no mosquitos, and sometimes it is hard to find.

--B.G.--

Keegan D
(nageek18)

Re: Ten Lakes on 06/05/2012 16:16:06 MDT Print View

Thanks for the advice.

I would like to make a side trip to Tuoloumne peak but am starting the trip from yosemite creek. How tough do you think it would be too trailblaze from Tuoloumne peak straight back to yosemite creek?

Just by looking at the topo maps, it looks like you can descend the peak going south a little and then head straight west back to yosemite creek trail head. Has anyone tried to do this before?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Ten Lakes on 06/05/2012 16:39:15 MDT Print View

"straight back" isn't going to work very well.

There is a trail in there, but it follows the terrain with lots of curves, and it wasn't much fun.

--B.G.--

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Ten Lakes on 06/05/2012 16:54:04 MDT Print View

Two years ago after a big snow year in June..

Keegan D
(nageek18)

re: Ten lakes on 06/05/2012 16:56:52 MDT Print View

Those are some really pretty pictures. I hope it looks like that when I get up there tomorrow.