Forum Index » GEAR » Backpack Pain

Display Avatars Sort By:
R Petrelli
(rydia131) - F
Backpack Pain on 06/03/2012 18:51:53 MDT Print View

Ok so Im new to the site and new to backpacking. Ive gone out a handful of times building up slowly to longer hikes with my new pack. Overall I felt great carrying the weight and it felt like it was resting at the hips but I was getting alot of soreness on my collar bone. I think the fit is right but I have no prior pack experience to go off of. What could be the cause of this? And also any suggestions on a fix for this? Thanks for the help!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Backpack Pain on 06/03/2012 18:56:15 MDT Print View

Any chance that you could post a photo of the pack being worn? Any more details would help. Type of pack, weight carried, etc...

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Backpack Pain on 06/03/2012 19:04:46 MDT Print View

Soreness of your collarbone implies some pressure on it. Tighten &/or raise the hipbelt and loosen the straps / load lifters.

Also, +1 to posting pics of you wearing it and I bet we can help.

R Petrelli
(rydia131) - F
Re: Backpack Pain on 06/03/2012 19:15:32 MDT Print View

I use a Gregory Z55 with approx 25-30 lbs packed. I didnt have a chance to weigh the final pack before I left but I think that could be a good rough estimate. I dont have a picture of the pack on with any sort of weight in it. I could probably post one tomorrow.

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Collarbone on 06/03/2012 19:44:28 MDT Print View

I have had chafing there too. A sternum strap on your pack may help. It has helped me when I had that problem

R Petrelli
(rydia131) - F
Re: Backpack Pain on 06/03/2012 20:06:11 MDT Print View

I do use the sternum strap on the pack. Maybe it needs to be adjusted along with the other straps. not sure

John Reichle
(mammoman) - M

Locale: NE AL
sternum strap on 06/04/2012 08:57:16 MDT Print View

I actually get pain in my clavicles when I cinch the sternum strap down too tightly. I bet that may be your problem.

R Petrelli
(rydia131) - F
Re: Backpack Pain on 06/04/2012 18:35:59 MDT Print View

I think based on the replys ive gotten on here and some of the things ive read that I need to continue to work with the straps to adjust the weight properly. Thanks to everyone for your comments!

Mina Loomis
(elmvine) - MLife

Locale: Central Texas
collarbone pain on 06/04/2012 19:09:29 MDT Print View

My husband has this. His collar bones are fairly prominent, and no amount of adjustment seems to alleviate the discomfort longer than a couple of days on the trail. He's tried several different packs. His base weight is about 15 lbs, highest pack weight with full supply of consumables and/or 2 days of water (we are in Texas) about 35. On trips he ends up stuffing his spare socks between the straps and his collarbones. This seems to work but it's a hassle because he's always having to re-settle the socks in the right place. For this summer's trip I am going to make pads from some old wool socks and sew them permanently around his shoulder straps.

Mina