Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Kings Canyon question

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Kings Canyon question on 06/03/2012 15:30:07 MDT Print View

Ok, I went on this 7 day loop hike in High School and I only have "checkpoints" that was in the photo album my dad has of the trip. i'm trying to figure out what trail we did. We did stay at one campsite in the middle for 2 nights and did a long day hike up to a pass from there.

any of you Cali folks recognize these spots?

start: Big Tree Campground

1 Sphynx Crossing
2 Vidette Meadow
3 Kearsage pass
4 charlotte lake, bullfrog lake, falls
5 Sphyx, charlotte creek
6 Avalanche pass
7 Mist falls.

Jake

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Kings Canyon question on 06/03/2012 15:34:35 MDT Print View

These places are well known, but they don't fit into any known trail in that sequence.

--B.G.--

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
My guess on 06/03/2012 17:30:52 MDT Print View

Sounds like the Rae lakes loop with a possible side trip up to avalanche pass. I suspect that the campground was where you styled then you drove to onion valley trailhead for the start of the trip over kearsarge pass. It all makes sense.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: My guess on 06/03/2012 17:42:28 MDT Print View

Greg that seems right.. the mileage and stuff fits. It was a long time ago and I wasn't part of the planning so it was just a nice walk for me. We did finish a day early and got to stand on the 9th green at Pebble and see Carmel beach

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
yyup on 06/03/2012 21:10:41 MDT Print View

yea this is the rae lakes loop starting from onion valley. if you are talking 'trails', you were on the john muir trail, paradise valley trail(woods creek trail), kearsarge pass trail, and bubbs creek trail.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: yyup on 06/03/2012 21:24:18 MDT Print View

Thanks guys! It was a cool trip but remembering details from like 97 is tough. That was still my longest trip and first(only) time seeing a bear in the woods.

Looking at the pictures is painful.. i definitely carried my own 1man tent ~3.5lb, 15 degree syn bag 3-4lb, full leather boots, 4-5lb 60L pack etc.. i think i started with 30-35lb while i was at 120lbs.

i'd love to do the whole JMT sometime or pretty much anything out there. it's just totally different environment than what i'm used to in the Northeast.

Edited by JakeDatc on 06/03/2012 21:30:23 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: yyup on 06/03/2012 21:27:33 MDT Print View

"if you are talking 'trails', you were on the john muir trail, paradise valley trail(woods creek trail), kearsarge pass trail, and bubbs creek trail."

Jason, how do you get Avalanche Pass out of that?

--B.G.--

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Re: yyup on 06/03/2012 21:38:33 MDT Print View

One of the passes was a day hike from a fairly large campsite with bear boxes that we stayed at for a few days.

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
Re: Re: yyup on 06/04/2012 11:58:11 MDT Print View

"Jason, how do you get Avalanche Pass out of that?"

+sphinx creek trail side trip.. soooooorrry bob ;)

http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=36.74855,-118.5601&z=14&b=t

joseph peterson
(sparky) - F

Locale: Southern California
Kings Canyon question on 06/04/2012 18:12:44 MDT Print View

Should have went to sphinx lakes instead of avalanche pass!