Forum Index » Website & Forum Admin/Support » Censorship again at BPL

Display Avatars Sort By:
spelt !
(spelt) - F

Locale: Midwest
oh man on 06/13/2012 16:17:27 MDT Print View

This is disappointing to read. Generally if I like a site and the people on it, I'm more than happy to chip in (regardless of whether the site is a business or a hobby for the proprietor). I'm frustrated over not being able to do so here. It seems like a really bad idea to buy passage on a ship where the captain won't tell you where it's going, or indeed even acknowledge the passengers who already have tickets. I've been following all these future of BPL threads and none of them show any inkling of an answer to the many relevant questions raised, nor either reaction or acknowledgement of the many ideas put forth. I guess I'll continue not to pay.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: A little communication... on 06/13/2012 16:23:10 MDT Print View

Wow. This is like a black hole. Hello? Anyone there?

I thought Alan Dixon was also the founder of this site. We don't hear from him either.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
.... on 06/13/2012 16:52:03 MDT Print View

Edited. Thought it was funny but didn't help matters.

Edited by Kat_P on 06/14/2012 18:03:39 MDT.

Matthew Black
(mtblack) - M
Re: .... on 06/13/2012 17:12:41 MDT Print View

Really neat troll dolls, Kat.

a b
(Ice-axe)
Back Packing Light on 06/13/2012 18:16:49 MDT Print View

I am thankful for the folks here on BPL.
To "meet" and discuss hiking related and even non-hiking related stuff here on BPL with such a diverse and varied group of people is the true gold of the internet.
I am not sure what happened to Ryan Jordan, but I can at least be thankful for all you folks.
At the worst, you Life members have paid about 5 years worth of subscription money up front.
Myself, I have paid year by year.
Either way I don't feel ripped off.
The real payoff for me is having this site as a place to connect, learn, and share ideas.
Sure there are free places to do this on the internet... but are they equivalent to BPL.
You.. the people here, make BPL what it is.
I hope RJ does return to the forums someday and give you the direction or whatever was promised to you life members.
Until then I am still pretty happy with my 20 dollar investment in this site and by extension, all of you.
Cheers

PS. Katharina, those are pictures of your daughter huh? What a cutie! You are an awesome photographer by the way!

Edited by Ice-axe on 06/13/2012 18:19:47 MDT.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Back Packing Light on 06/13/2012 18:35:16 MDT Print View

@Matt Black.....troll?

@Matt Edwards....no, not my daughter. My sentiments are similar to those you expressed in your post.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: A little communication... on 06/13/2012 18:43:12 MDT Print View

I hope Ryan's ok. Would like communication and follow-thru to be better.

That said, Roger Caffin is 'da bomb! I appreciate all the staff, members, and others who have contributed.

I love BPL and the community here. Thanks to all.

Edited by funnymoney on 06/13/2012 20:05:14 MDT.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: A little communication... on 06/13/2012 19:30:43 MDT Print View

"I love BPL and the community here. Thanks to all."

+1

The website is running just fine on a day to day basis, with lots of interesting articles and threads happening. Why not lay off Ryan and let him deal with whatever he has to deal with in peace? Badgering him will accomplish nothing, as should be abundantly clear by now, and will probably make him even more reluctant to engage when he does get things sorted out. For those who insist on pursuing this fruitless course of action, I have a suggestion for an alternative approach: Ask for your money back. I'll bet you'd get a check in the mail in a week at most.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Censorship again at BPL on 06/13/2012 19:40:37 MDT Print View

Fork

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
deleted on 06/13/2012 19:42:03 MDT Print View

deleted

Edited by kthompson on 07/18/2012 22:53:05 MDT.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Thread drift.. on 06/13/2012 19:55:43 MDT Print View

"I emailed the editor of this webzine/forum and asked why. I received no response."

No response is often the most eloquent response of all.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: A little communication... on 06/13/2012 19:59:12 MDT Print View

> I thought Alan Dixon was also the founder of this site
Yes, he helped found it, but had other things to do so he passed his 'share' of it to Ryan. He still contributes occasionally.

Cheers

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
deleted on 06/13/2012 20:08:12 MDT Print View

deleted

Edited by kthompson on 06/23/2012 08:02:35 MDT.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Thread drift.. on 06/13/2012 20:12:11 MDT Print View

"Thanks for that incredible bit of insight."

Always ready to go the extra mile for a fellow BPLer in distress. :)

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Sad on 06/13/2012 20:14:36 MDT Print View

The saddest part if this is what it has done to some of the relationships among us.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
deleted on 06/13/2012 20:21:59 MDT Print View

deleted

Edited by kthompson on 06/23/2012 08:08:38 MDT.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Sad on 06/13/2012 20:34:09 MDT Print View

I don't think so Ken.
Here is what I compare this situation to. A number of times ( a couple of notable ones) I have pointed out some pretty outrageous sexist remarks/ posts. At times I have stood there pretty alone, maybe a couple of private messages letting me know I wasn't alone at least in spirit. Sometimes the " offenders" have even been patted on the back. I felt a little let down and then came to the conclusion that my battles don't have to be my friends battles too. That's what I think has happened here too.
I gave as much support to this cause as I honestly have in me and I hope that isn't seen as a let down.

Edited by Kat_P on 06/13/2012 20:41:09 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
deleted on 06/13/2012 21:13:16 MDT Print View

deleted

Edited by kthompson on 06/23/2012 08:04:42 MDT.

a b
(Ice-axe)
What do you want? on 06/13/2012 23:17:21 MDT Print View

Ken, I consider you a friend here on BPL and in person via the GGG.
Yet I am still confused about exactly what this is all about.
Could you please state specifically what you want from Ryan Jordan and BPL.
Not taking you to task bro, just think it is rather mucky at this point.
Even after re-reading this thread I cannot tell what you, and other life members, were promised.
What did you expect for 100 dollars and what has the "return" been?
Basically;
Whats the Beef Bro?

Please don't take this as a personal attack. (It isn't and I am going out on a limb here)
I honestly don't understand what the problem is, and i suspect neither do a lot of other members.
Fill us in.
If you could get the "perfect" responses to your questions from RJ, what would they be?

Edited by Ice-axe on 06/13/2012 23:26:08 MDT.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: What do you want? on 06/14/2012 02:07:03 MDT Print View

Matthew,

This particular thread is about an entire, very involved thread having been deleted with no explanation. I think that very much warrants an explanation. It's true that sometimes the things people say here can be idiotic, unkind, unruly, or just plain worthless, but most of what people are contributing, and the effort to contribute, should be considered to have intrinsic value. Otherwise what is the purpose of this entire forum? Or even BPL? Some people put a lot of time, energy, and careful thought into that deleted thread. It is rude and dismissive to just delete it without acknowledging the good points in the thread and giving an explanation.