Forum Index » Post-Trip Reports » Bob Marshall Wilderness Open – Eccentric But Not Insane

Display Avatars Sort By:
Chris Muthig
(cmuthig) - M

Locale: Georgia
Re: Skills on 07/12/2012 18:57:46 MDT Print View

Dan, I appreciate the tips. Are these the maps you suggest for the Bob?

http://cairncarto.com/home/BMnorth

Packrafting will not be part of any route I choose, because it is just not in my budget at the time. I look at that as a good thing though, because it will allow me to focus on the other areas more for this first hopeful attempt.

I like the link provided for navigation. It is a very nice resource, and it will definitely something that I need to strengthen as well.

Do you think you will be packing the tarp and quilt for next year?

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
BMWO on 07/13/2012 19:51:21 MDT Print View

Are these the maps you suggest for the Bob?
Yes those are the ones. Get the South and North half maps now that both are available. While not essential, I also recommend printing off some higher detail topo's for the more difficult areas on your route (ie. passes). Low elevation areas likely won't be too hard navigationally as the bare ground should make finding/following trails pretty straightforward, but I bring detailed maps for any high elevation areas where the trails are likely to be obscured by snow and the route is more complex than just following a valley (ie. the passes). I print mine off from here (add the UTM grid):
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.html

Packrafting will not be part of any route I choose
Sounds like a smart plan to me. Dave C. did a good job choosing a course/venue where packrafting opens up some neat options, yet isn't wildly faster and thus discouraging to the non-rafters.

Do you think you will be packing the tarp and quilt for next year?
Yes. I'll take my 15oz quilt for sure. IMO its weight well spent because I can be sleeping during all the time others would be collecting wood and maintaining a fire. I want to be either walking or sleeping at all times.

I sold my Echo I tarp to buy something more fully enclosed (MLD DuoMid) so I will be carrying that. The Echo I worked well, but it's quite a small tarp so I wouldn't have wanted to use it in adverse conditions at/above tree line with snow and high winds. With the DuoMid I'll have the option to hunker down almost anywhere, plus it's quicker to setup.

Chris Muthig
(cmuthig) - M

Locale: Georgia
Re: BMWO on 07/13/2012 21:08:11 MDT Print View

Thanks for the input on shelter. It actually matches almost exactly what I use during the wetter/colder season here.

I know some people don't take a quilt and shelter, but my thought for now (and plan when I train) will be to take it with me, even if just as a safety net for a first attempt in a new environment.

I have been using a MYOG Duomid I made as my main shelter recently and agree that it has an amazingly fast set up time. The main difference for me is I have really enjoyed using synthetic insulation in my quilts and have used my 19oz quilt with 5oz Apex to about 35* so will probably use some form of that.

Thanks again for me the help.