Forum Index » SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » SUL rain pants/chaps (not skirts)

Display Avatars Sort By:
Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
SUL rain pants/chaps (not skirts) on 06/01/2012 12:34:50 MDT Print View

I have a pair of Cabela's GTX PacLite rainpants but at 15 oz. they are "heavy". Gotta have 'em for Rocky Mountain backpacking. Afternoon drenching thundershowers, ya know.

What is the SUL or UL solution? Cuben chaps?

Please list some vendors with your suggestions.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: A very flat place (Grrrrrrrr)
Re: SUL rain pants/chaps (not skirts) on 06/01/2012 15:05:38 MDT Print View

Hi Eric,

I have spent a bit of time looking at Ul rain trousers this week, Montane Minimus seem to be one of the lightest available.

Cheers,

obx hiker
(obxcola) - MLife

Locale: Outer Banks of North Carolina
SUL rain pants/chaps (not skirts) on 06/01/2012 20:09:42 MDT Print View

I think Z-packs makes chaps, Maybe MLD as well

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
SUL Rain Chaps on 06/04/2012 08:35:13 MDT Print View

I have a pair of the Mountain Laurel Designs chaps that weigh 43 grams (1.5 ounces). They're not fancy but they are effective in keeping your legs dry. You do need to make sure you're wearing a top that covers enough of your rear though...

Jordan Clymer
(jordanclymer) - F

Locale: The Columbia Gorge
Dupont to the rescue on 06/20/2012 01:02:28 MDT Print View

You should look into the Dupont TY350S pants, Amazon stocks them. They are made from Tyvek and come in many sizes. Cheap, and good rain protection if any seams are sealed. I used a Tyvek upper as a lightweight rain jacket, I don't see any reason why these wouldn't meet the specs you are looking for. =)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=+TY350S

James Berwick
(jhb0510) - F
tyvek pants on 06/21/2012 09:24:09 MDT Print View

These look teally interresting.
How much do they weigh?

Jordan Clymer
(jordanclymer) - F

Locale: The Columbia Gorge
Not 100% but... on 06/22/2012 22:59:04 MDT Print View

The data from Dupont and shipping weights put a pair around 60-70 grams depending on the size. So, if you want to ballpark them in around 2.5 ounces, that seems reasonable.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Not 100% but... on 06/23/2012 00:39:59 MDT Print View

XXL tyvek pants from US Plastics weigh 68.2 grams. I have smaller sizes I could weigh.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
SUL rain pants/chaps on 06/23/2012 02:06:58 MDT Print View

You really don't need breathable rain pants. Just sew your own of silnylon. Mine are 3.1 oz.

Chris Bell
(Hobbit) - MLife

Locale: PA Wilds
Equinox Full Moon Chaps on 06/25/2012 03:34:26 MDT Print View

I've used Equinox Full Moon Chaps for several years now. They have held up very well on trail or cross country brushy hiking. About 3 oz in weight.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
OOOO! on 07/11/2012 16:08:27 MDT Print View

Thanks guys, that's a lot of good gear to review and now I have to decide.
I think it will be rain chaps. My XL REI Kimtah eVent parka cover my butt so chaps souuld work. Plus chaps vent well. I just have to remember NOT to sit on anything wet. :=0

jason quick
(jase)

Locale: A tent in my backyard - Melbourne
Montane Minimus on 09/10/2012 05:48:07 MDT Print View

I have the Montane Minimus rain pants.

Not as light as Tyvek, but my size medium weighs in at 111g. I don't like rain pants that are baggy down near the ankles, which is one reason why I purchased the Minimus...they have hook and loop tabs to draw in any excess material down near the bottom of the pant.

A really nice garment if it fits in your weight range.

...but I'm now thinking about a rain skirt for 3 season stuff too.....more reading.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Presence
Tyvek. 1.73 oz chaps on 10/02/2012 09:05:49 MDT Print View

Mind you, though these ain't highfalutin, they are only $10 shipped...and come with a free 2.95 oz jacket that fits as good as those advertised in the glossy mags. Just say'n.....

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=64670

Edited by rustyb on 10/02/2012 09:19:48 MDT.

William Segraves
(sbill9000) - F - M
tyvek pants vs chaps on 10/08/2012 18:34:10 MDT Print View

I made the bottom half of my Tyvek suit into 2.2 oz drawstring pants. Would be interested in hearing thoughts on virtues of chaps vs pants. Thanks!

Best,

Bill

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Presence
Re: tyvek pants vs chaps on 10/10/2012 09:25:19 MDT Print View

Hi Bill,

Others may have additional virtues but from my perspective, the big one is that, when hiking in the rain, your behind doesn't get as sweaty.

Also, when I'm wavering between pants and shorts, I'll take shorts and my chaps. That way, if my legs feel chilled at any time, I just throw on the chaps. Additionally, I wear them with my poncho to keep my legs dry in the rain.

Oh, and if you're brave, hang free and wear the chaps by themselves!

r

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Skirt on 10/10/2012 10:01:02 MDT Print View

Cheap simple skirt or buy from zpacks