Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
cuben monk tarp
Display Avatars Sort By:
Angelo Radano
(zalmen_mlotek)

Locale: New England
cuben monk tarp on 06/01/2012 08:40:36 MDT Print View

I am thinking for my first shelter project of building a monk tarp (not much to screw up). Should I use a center tieout? MLD has 2 on their monk tarp. However I have no idea how to make them. I tried finding instructions/photos from old threads and google but didn't find what I was looking for.

Sean Rhoades
(kingpin)

Locale: WV
Re: cuben monk tarp on 06/01/2012 14:23:33 MDT Print View

If you're wanting to do center tieout, you will need 2 pieces of reinforcement material(70d ripstop nylon works good) cut in a circle of about 3in diameter. Pin one on each side of the fabric where you aim to put your tieout. Stitch the 2 reinforcements to your tarp material, then place your grosgran tab in the center of the reinforement patch and either bartack it, sew back and forth over it a few times or even zig zag stitch it a few times. The hardest part is sewing the circular patches without them bunching up or your stitches being crooked. I have found that if you put a thin layer of silicone glue (GE Silicone II or similar) on the patches and let them dry overnight before stitching; it makes for a much cleaner look as well as being easier to sew.

Hope this helps

Sean

Angelo Radano
(zalmen_mlotek)

Locale: New England
tie out on 06/01/2012 21:44:58 MDT Print View

I am planning on using cuben. Would I be able to cut circles and use hysol to bond them to the tarp? Would I sew the grosgrain loops to circle first and then glue it to the tarp?

Sean Rhoades
(kingpin)

Locale: WV
Re: tie out on 06/01/2012 22:48:36 MDT Print View

Yes on using the Hysol and cuben circles. I'm not sure about how the tieout would hold not being sewn through all three pieces of cuben. I've only used cuben a few times and never bonded it. Hopefully someone with more cuben experience will chime in.