Forum Index » GEAR » Golite 1+ down vs synthetic. which one to keep?

Display Avatars Sort By:
M L
(herzzreh)
Golite 1+ down vs synthetic. which one to keep? on 05/31/2012 21:19:24 MDT Print View

I acquired one Golite down quilt and one synthetic quilt, both rated at 40 degrees. My neighbour tried getting into backpacking but quit prematurely...

As both are similarly rated, which one would you keep? Most of my trips are in the NE US and mostly May-September.. or should I keep both, depending on conditions?

Chris Lacey
(Staplebox) - F
golite on 05/31/2012 21:37:26 MDT Print View

I was just looking to pick up 2 rs1 synthetic quilts from Golite during their sale - they said they are sold out of the entire rs1 line and will not be carrying synthetic bags anymore. I was looking for 2 small/light/cheap summer bags for my 2 boys - also for May - September in NE.

The down bag costs twice as much and is several ounces lighter. If you're only keeping one I guess I'd go with the down.

Chad Poindexter
(Stick) - F

Locale: Wet & Humid Southeast....
Re: Golite 1+ down vs synthetic. which one to keep? on 05/31/2012 21:46:03 MDT Print View

That would be a tough call... maybe you could keep both and use one or the other as a loaner...?

Chris, I have a RS 1+ season quilt in a long that I do not need (I am currently waiting on 2 quilts form Tim Marshall!). If you are interested I would be willing to part with it. If interested, PM me for details.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Golite 1+ down vs synthetic. on 05/31/2012 22:12:56 MDT Print View

Down. Lighter, stays warmer for longer (in terms of the life of the bag).

Chad Poindexter
(Stick) - F

Locale: Wet & Humid Southeast....
Re: golite on 06/01/2012 06:42:53 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by Stick on 06/01/2012 06:44:37 MDT.

Devon Cloud
(devoncloud)

Locale: Southwest
down for me on 06/01/2012 08:41:47 MDT Print View

given the invention of the plastic garbage bag that you can keep your gear safe from the elements when you are not in it and safe under a tarp, Down is the way to go if you ask me. Synthetic is too heavy and degrades quickly.

I am pretty anal about keeping my gear dry... Therefore I can't justify the extra weight of synthetics.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Re: down for me on 06/01/2012 11:17:30 MDT Print View

I agree with Devon. Down is also a bit more forgiving of temp ranges alowing you to cover against bugs even if it is warm at night.