Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Intresting UL wind pants from dance world
Display Avatars Sort By:
drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: Re: Intresting UL wind pants from dance world on 09/20/2012 20:30:56 MDT Print View

There's some duplication, but it's lighter than insulated pants, and less expensive than a new pair of hiking pants with a thicker/tighter weave. Wash it in Nikwax and it'll probably be useful to wear under a poncho too. I'll give these a shot if the tyvek pants I already have don't work out.

Alex Wallace
(FeetFirst) - F

Locale: Northern California
Re: Re: Re: Re: Intresting UL wind pants from dance world on 09/21/2012 00:05:25 MDT Print View

Yeah right! There is no way I can explain the charge from "dance world" on the credit card. Especially after ordering from "dirty girls." I mind as well file the paperwork in advance.

Pete Staehling
(staehpj1) - F
Thanks on 09/21/2012 05:35:24 MDT Print View

Thanks, these sound like exactly what I have been looking for. I was planning to make something very similar.

Edited by staehpj1 on 09/21/2012 14:31:43 MDT.

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
difference? on 09/21/2012 08:08:34 MDT Print View

How do these differ from some of the just plain cheap nylon 'workout' pants that many retailers carry for around $20? I guess possibly the weight but 4 oz does seem really thin and lightweight. What are people's experiences with them?

Harald Hope
(hhope) - M

Locale: East Bay
great, camp pants on 09/21/2012 12:17:00 MDT Print View

Great tip, I was going to make myself some wind/camp pants out of pertex or something, but this costs about the same as 2 yards.

I've been trying to cut down the weight of my poison oak camp clothes, this knocks off about 3oz give or take, and little work.

With long johns should also be fine for winter use.

For those who don't know, one of the better techniques for avoiding poison oak problems once you have lost your resistance to it is changing out of hiking clothes when you get to camp, that keeps you from accidentally spreading it from shoes/pants in particular to hands and face. Works, with care.

Eric Chan, thanks for pushing your point(s) so consistently, don't always agree, but I am glad to see someone who at least cares enough to say it.

Pete Staehling
(staehpj1) - F
Not water resistant on 09/24/2012 15:17:33 MDT Print View

Mine came today and I like the fit OK. They are 3.6 ounces for my size large.

They have absolutely no water proofing as far as I can tell and are just plain ripstop nylon. I'll probably treat them to gain a bit of water resistance. Any suggestions for what treatment to use?

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
DWR on 09/24/2012 15:22:31 MDT Print View

I assume a standard dwr will work.

Pete Staehling
(staehpj1) - F
DWR on 09/25/2012 06:28:03 MDT Print View

I assumed DWR, but wondered if anyone had suggestions for which one works best with previously untreated garments.

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
So, have these stood the test of time? on 06/12/2013 12:18:06 MDT Print View

Has everyone who has ordered these used these enough to say they'd buy them again? How about putting them on over shoes, since they have no ankle zippers? I've been using the Montbell wind pants, but at the price these look like a good substitute.

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
Dance Pants on 06/12/2013 21:03:41 MDT Print View

It is what I used all last summer. My Montbell windpants "crapped the bed" in the Pecos last Memorial Day Weekend (after nine years of use, I ain't complaining. :D)

So, I figured I'd give these a try.

They are now my "go to" pants for 3+ season backpacking FWIW.

http://www.pmags.com/gear-review-discount-dance-supply-rip-stop-pants

With a size 10 men's shoe, I can *almost* put the pants on/off without taking the shoes off. But not quite. :(

I should also add that I use these pants in the (typically) drier Rockies. For deluges like those seen in PNW or back East, "real" rain gear may be a better buy esp if you tend to hang more in camp and/or don't power through via hiking all day.

Edited by PaulMags on 06/12/2013 21:09:07 MDT.

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
wind pants on 06/13/2013 07:41:03 MDT Print View

You're right, for actual rain rain pants are necessary. However, I often go out when it isn't raining (it does happen in the PNW), but need a little wind block in the cool of the evening but I'm not ready to jump inside the quilt. At a very few ounces, the wind pant is the ideal solution.

How is the fit? Is it "athletic", or is there some room in the pants? I use the Montbell because they are cut for short wide people, but I have torn the hem on them and want a replacement plan if needed.

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
fit on 06/13/2013 08:00:37 MDT Print View

Slightly baggy. More than an athletic fit, but a little less than "relaxed" fit.

Hope that helps.

wiiawiwb wiiawiwb
(wiiawiwb) - F
Sizing is very weird on 01/05/2014 23:21:29 MST Print View

According the to sizing chart, the "XL" waist is 30"-36". Who ever heard of an XL fitting someone with a 30" waist?

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Sizing is very weird on 01/05/2014 23:40:14 MST Print View

Women's sizing I think. A mens large should be 36-38.

Stephen Parks
(sdparks) - M

Locale: Southwest
Re: Re: Sizing is very weird on 01/19/2014 20:54:35 MST Print View

Can someone comment on the actual size of these pants? I'm very skinny, and the Large size listed looks like it might actually fit. The L is listed as 33" inseam and 26-30" waist. Is this accurate? I'm a 29W34L, so this would be a pretty good fit if the claimed sizing is accurate.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
L on 01/20/2014 11:43:51 MST Print View

Stephen, I think a L is a good fit judging by the size chart and the description from some other members. A L just barely fit a Size 34 waist on someone else.

I have a 32W (33 in the winter!) and I ordered an L.

Wesley Larson
(wes) - F

Locale: Minnesota
quick review on 03/09/2014 14:36:34 MDT Print View

I ordered a pair of these dance pants, and just had a chance to test them out a little bit. I'm 6'2", 195, and usually wear 34x34 pants. I ordered the large based on the size guide on the site.
They fit pretty well, the waist is fine. I could probably use another inch or so of length, but it's not bad. I was out for a couple hours with the weather in the 20's, with just these and light baselayer pants, and I was toasty. They definitely cut the wind and held in heat.
Overall, I'm keeping them; can't be beat for $17, and they came in at 3.8 oz on my scale.

Stephen Parks
(sdparks) - M

Locale: Southwest
Size L on 06/28/2014 19:21:41 MDT Print View

I just received a size L. Wow these are big - I'll have to re-order a medium. The waist is 26" relaxed, and expands to 45" (claimed to fit 26-30"). The inseam is 34" (claimed 33"), but the length from the crotch to the top of the waistband is 14.5" for a serious grandpa-pants effect. The cuffs stretch to a max of 16", which is just barely enough to get over size 9 trail runners, but not without stressing them.

They clearly have a water-resistant finish, and say "Made in U.S.A." on the tag. The construction is very simple but seems well-executed.

The discount dance site now lists three options for color - Black, Dtl and Plu. I guess Plu is plum maybe, but I can't think of what Dtl might be. Dark teal?