Intresting UL wind pants from dance world
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Intresting UL wind pants from dance world on 05/30/2012 22:33:26 MDT Print View

I found a pair of used dancer's warm up pants in a thrift store and I think they have excellent UL potential. And they are cheap too :)

Body Wrappers makes a full line of dance clothing. Their warm up pants are light ripstop nylon with an elastic waist and cuffs. Just plain pull-on pants, as Spartan as you could ask for, 3.5oz for size large on my scale and all of $20. The DWR on my used pair passes the sink sprayer test too.

See http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_701.html?camp=Froogle_701&utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=701&utm_campaign=Products

Body Wrappers warm up pants

Edited by dwambaugh on 05/30/2012 22:36:44 MDT.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Interesting UL wind pants from dance world on 05/30/2012 22:51:47 MDT Print View

I know I'm not the only one thinking that you have nice legs, Dale.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Interesting UL wind pants from dance world on 05/30/2012 22:53:36 MDT Print View

All that hiking keeps him trim.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Intresting UL wind pants from dance world on 05/30/2012 22:58:36 MDT Print View

As he dances down the trail and tiptoes through the (oops, no tulips out in the wilderness, maybe balsam root or lewisia?)....

Seriously, it's a great idea to look elsewhere than normal hiking/backpacking suppliers--you can find interesting and suitable items in the strangest places!

Edited by hikinggranny on 05/30/2012 22:59:32 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Interesting UL wind pants from dance world on 05/30/2012 23:43:22 MDT Print View

Steven Paris quipped, "I know I'm not the only one thinking that you have nice legs, Dale."

Noooooo. If I am made in the image of the Creator, then He looks somewhat like a hairy bowling pin, as I sure do :)

At $15-$20 a pair, it would hurt less to shred a pair of wind pants. Montane Featherlight pants are $79US and weigh 4oz/pair!

Edited by dwambaugh on 05/30/2012 23:46:23 MDT.

b willi jones
(mrjones) - F

Locale: best place in the world !?
Re: Intresting UL wind pants from dance world on 05/31/2012 00:05:09 MDT Print View

never mind the pants, those shoes look pretty darn light, toe protection to boot

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
cheap on 05/31/2012 01:51:27 MDT Print View

ive been saying it over and over again ... "brand name" outdoor clothes are generally overpriced ... you can get stuff much cheaper that is just as functional, and perhaps just as light for much less at discount stores and other places

the only time "brand name" stuff is worth it IMO is if you have a no questions asked warranty and intend to use it ... or its something that you cant find anywhere else (which is getting rarer as everyone copies everyone)

an ember put a hole in my $19 old navy puffy ... and u know what, i dont give a darn ... cause it cost 19$ ;)

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: cheap on 05/31/2012 03:54:11 MDT Print View

Hi Eric

> "brand name" outdoor clothes are generally overpriced ... you can get stuff much
> cheaper that is just as functional,
Functional??? What's that mean??? Who's he???

Most of it is FASHION stuff for street cred. Ten times more profit in the fashion market. (or 100x)

Cheers

Gregory Stein
(tauneutrino) - F

Locale: Upper Galilee
Dance is my another passion. on 05/31/2012 06:41:01 MDT Print View

Maybe combine both?
...+ Photography :D

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Intresting UL wind pants from dance world on 05/31/2012 12:18:43 MDT Print View

Dale,

Those look like something I could use. I ordered a pair to see.

Thanks for the tip. Never thought to look in the dance clothing area for options.

Daryl

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
Cool find on 05/31/2012 12:49:16 MDT Print View

Great timing. My Montbell wind pants that I've had since 2004 somehow tore this weekend.

Did not feel like shelling out another $80. These pants are the same weight and a 1/4 the price and should work just as fine..and maybe a little more durable.

Now to explain to my fiancee' why a package is coming from a dance company. She loves to dance; I loathe it. :)

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
You sssilly goossse Dale! on 05/31/2012 20:51:26 MDT Print View

What's that "ruffle" around the hips just below the waist?

Better call and ask B/C it looks like it's not too functional but a bit TOO effite.

Maybe it can be unstitched and let out to better accomodate you "bowling pin" posterior. ;O)

Seriousnessly Dale, Thanks for the info. I'm looking at them as a possible purchase.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: You sssilly goossse Dale! on 05/31/2012 22:28:21 MDT Print View

The pants have a very plain elastic waist. The dancer has folded them over to make them fit her better. The ones I found are a quite
standard size large.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Intresting UL wind pants from dance world on 06/06/2012 11:27:25 MDT Print View

Dale,

Mine arrived and they are everything you said they were.

I got the medium size and they show 3.4 ounces on my scale (rounds to nearest .2 ounces).

I have a 34 inch waist and they are a little tight on me around the butt area. They are cut in a way that allows for good leg movement, however, so they are still useable. If I order another pair I'm going to go back to my old strategy of buying the biggist size of everything. I like baggy.

I've been looking for pants without pockets and zippers for years. These fit the bill. Thanks for the tip.

Daryl

Raquel Rascal
(flutingaround)

Locale: Rocky Mtn. West
my pair on 09/20/2012 17:15:55 MDT Print View

I got a pair of these today in the large size, and they are nice.

Question about them though- how would you use them? As your primary hiking pant, or as a layer in your pack to wear with your hiking pant? If so, would you wear them over or under your hiking pant?

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Re: Intresting UL wind pants from dance world on 09/20/2012 17:24:47 MDT Print View

>I have a 34 inch waist and they are a little tight on me around the butt area

So, Daryl, they make your butt look big?

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: use of dance pants on 09/20/2012 17:45:53 MDT Print View

I would use them exactly as I would a windshirt, for protection from wind and light precip. I think the best use for UL wind pants is when you would wear running style shorts and want the extra protection of long pants for cooler mornings or late evenings, if the weather turns cold, pretection from bugs, and so forth. I think this $20 alternative is better than shredding a $60-$80 pair of Pertex wind pants, or spending that much for very occasional use.

I haven't been a fan of wind pants because pants tend to take more of a beating than tops do. I normally wear nylon zip-offs or soft shell pants. If the weather turns bad in my locale, I would usually be turning to rain pants for more protection.

I would love to see this style offered in a lighter color for sun protection, or bug protection in sunny weather. I think the black color would be too hot in full sun.

Raquel Rascal
(flutingaround)

Locale: Rocky Mtn. West
thanks Dale on 09/20/2012 18:15:29 MDT Print View

I appreciate you sharing your expertise. I don't think I'll be hiking with them normally, but I do think they would be great for 14ner day hikes in the Rockies, if you aren't expecting rain-- to be kept in your pack-- pulled out if the wind kicks up over your hiking pants. I tried the large size over my hiking pants and they fit well.

Edited by flutingaround on 09/20/2012 18:16:01 MDT.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Intresting UL wind pants from dance world on 09/20/2012 18:38:39 MDT Print View

Cold windy weather is around the corner. Thanks for suggesting these Dale.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Re: Intresting UL wind pants from dance world on 09/20/2012 20:14:26 MDT Print View

Eugene wrote "Cold windy weather is around the corner. Thanks for suggesting these Dale."

Midsummer backup for UL shorts is what I had in mind. I think typical nylon hiking pants would provide as much protection and more durability. Carrying both would be needless duplication. The UL shorts with wind pants would make a good day hiking combo. Note that Andrew Skurka has used running shorts and wind pants for many of his treks.

I could make a case for wind pants used with tall gaiters and a long poncho, with the wind pants helping to close the gap and add some warmth on a day with miles of light drizzle.